+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does working part time take care of your living expenses

ishanfication

Star Member
Dec 31, 2013
hy guys , i wanna know how much can one earn working part time ?? Are they enough to take care of monthly expenses . I am planning to do one year post graduate course in business or management in toronto possibly (centennial college ) .My parents can only support by payin fee and other expenses I have to take care on my own . also is it easy to get on campus job..... plz help .....i am planning this may 2014... I have scored 7.5 in IELTS. any other province or college will also do where I can manage my expenses .

Nov 6, 2013
If you live in Toronto, it will be very hard. For a typical survival job like Tim Hortons attendant you will be getting about 10 $ per hour before tax. Assuming 20 hrs per week, it will be about 800 per month all of which will go into rent. You will need to share flat with at least 5 people and drain your stomach with cheapest dollarama food to barely survive.

ishanfication said:
hy guys , i wanna know how much can one earn working part time ?? Are they enough to take care of monthly expenses . I am planning to do one year post graduate course in business or management in toronto possibly (centennial college ) .My parents can only support by payin fee and other expenses I have to take care on my own . also is it easy to get on campus job..... plz help .....i am planning this may 2014... I have scored 7.5 in IELTS. any other province or college will also do where I can manage my expenses .

ishanfication

Star Member
Dec 31, 2013
WillLeaveOnceIGetPassport said:
If you live in Toronto, it will be very hard. For a typical survival job like Tim Hortons attendant you will be getting about 10 $ per hour before tax. Assuming 20 hrs per week, it will be about 800 per month all of which will go into rent. You will need to share flat with at least 5 people and drain your stomach with cheapest dollarama food to barely survive.
thanks for the info so what's the best way to survive on a safe side acc to you

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Minimum wage full-time (40 hours/week), you'll receive about $1,300/mo after taxes.

Expect $500 to $700/mo for part-time (minimum pay) work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ishanfication said:
thanks for the info so what's the best way to survive on a safe side acc to you
You should make sure you have enough funds to pay for your studies and living expenses in Canada without having to engage in part time work. There is never a guarantee you will get part time work and it certainly won't cover all of your living expenses.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Please read, re-read and read again Scylla's response to your question. Keep reading it until it sinks in.

As the rules currently stand, you cannot apply for a OCWP until you are in school for 6 months. Say you arrive in Sep, then you can apply in Feb for the OCWP and will get it right around the time you are finishing your school in April and getting ready to apply for PGWP. On-Campus jobs for international students are almost impossible to find, so don't even think about one. Yes, you can work cash jobs, however they are ILLEGAL and if you are caught, you get to go back home with no future in Canada. Also min wage is around $10/hr and most cash jobs will pay you significantly less than that (People don't hire illegal workers for cash jobs and then pay them the min wage).

Add to all of that that your course will be pretty intensvie and will require atleast 2-3 hours of home work and reading every day in addition to 6-7 hours/day spent in the classroom. So, if you want to really study and keep your grades up there is really not much time to work.

Moral of the story: If you cannot bring enough funds for tuition and expenses, than I would seriously reconsider.

P.S: Don't even think about drinking and driving in Canada. I had an Intl Student class mate who had two pints and decided to drive down the street. He was caught, convicted and deported before the semester was over!

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
txboyscout said:
Please read, re-read and read again Scylla's response to your question. Keep reading it until it sinks in.
Follow the above advice.
As the rules currently stand, you cannot apply for a OCWP until you are in school for 6 months. Say you arrive in Sep, then you can apply in Feb
MARCH! You must have studied for 6 months in the past 12 months BEFORE applying.

Also, processing times vary. It can be anything from 7 days to 7 weeks. So you're right about the ETA of the permit.

Add to all of that that your course will be pretty intensvie and will require atleast 2-3 hours of home work and reading every day in addition to 6-7 hours/day spent in the classroom. So, if you want to really study and keep your grades up there is really not much time to work.
The standard conversion is 2-3 hrs of homework for every hour spent in class. SOme courses are less, some more. Mine fluxuates so much it isn't funny. There are times I don't need to do anything and then there might be an assignment that is estimated to take a minimum of 25hrs to complete.

P.S: Don't even think about drinking and driving in Canada. I had an Intl Student class mate who had two pints and decided to drive down the street. He was caught, convicted and deported before the semester was over!
Drinking and driving is like playing russian roulette. Eventually someone dies. I bet your class mate is blaming the system and not himself.