+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does working for a U.S Employer remotely in Canada through a PEO count towards CEC Work Experience?

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
Hello,

I have been through the same situation ,working for US company with no office or incorporation in Canada is considered as Canadian work experience. This is a new norm of working from Canada for US company ,so not much information is available on website

I work for US company who has no office in Canada and they are not incorporated ,what they have is CRA business number and account for tax . Salary and taxes are handled by PEO

Here are the documents that you will need.

1.NOA from CRA
2.Employment letter with roles and responsibilities ,specifying that you work from Canada, on company letter head
3.Salary Slips to ensure you are paid in Canadian $ , CCP and EI are deducted
4.T4
5.Offer Letter

Also additionally get your business number from HR and have that written in employment letter , There are 2 types of business number the one that start with RP is for payroll deduction and the one that starts with RC is for doing business in Canada ,check what your organization have.

When you create your EE profile you will be asked to enter address make sure to enter your home address or the location you work from ,if you put your US company address it will be considered as foreign experience

Note:-If your are employee of US company you will need letter from US company and not PEO ,PEO letter will not work unless you are hired by PEO as a employee and working as a contractor for US company.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: imfromsea

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
Snoviel Lopes ,

I was hired by the EOR as a employee and working for the American company has their client.
I have all of these documents from EOR
So your employer is EOR and not the American company, you will need a letter from EOR in that case but I am not sure...in my case my employer was American Company and PEO was just handling the financial stuff like salary and taxes.
What's the adderss of your salary slip ,who pays you EOR or American Company

May 7, 2023
So your employer is EOR and not the American company, you will need a letter from EOR in that case but I am not sure...in my case my employer was American Company and PEO was just handling the financial stuff like salary and taxes.
What's the adderss of your salary slip ,who pays you EOR or American Company
The address is canadian address, The EOR pays for me in payslips and T4

imfromsea

May 31, 2023
The address is canadian address, The EOR pays for me in payslips and T4
I'm in the same situation. I was hired via an EOR. I am legally working in Canada, have paid all taxes, and everything is in accordance with Canada's labor code. I am concerned that IRCC will inform me that this will not qualify for CEC because my real employer is an American.

khush.k.sidhu

May 17, 2023
Hello,

I have been through the same situation ,working for US company with no office or incorporation in Canada is considered as Canadian work experience. This is a new norm of working from Canada for US company ,so not much information is available on website

I work for US company who has no office in Canada and they are not incorporated ,what they have is CRA business number and account for tax . Salary and taxes are handled by PEO

1.NOA from CRA
2.Employment letter with roles and responsibilities ,specifying that you work from Canada, on company letter head
4.T4
5.Offer Letter

Also additionally get your business number from HR and have that written in employment letter , There are 2 types of business number the one that start with RP is for payroll deduction and the one that starts with RC is for doing business in Canada ,check what your organization have.

When you create your EE profile you will be asked to enter address make sure to enter your home address or the location you work from ,if you put your US company address it will be considered as foreign experience

Note:-If your are employee of US company you will need letter from US company and not PEO ,PEO letter will not work unless you are hired by PEO as a employee and working as a contractor for US company.

I hope this helps.
Hi Snoviel,

Can you provide the employment letter for reference. I am in the same boat - hired by a US company and payroll handled through PEO.

It would be of great help if you can share the reference letter (email: khush.mnit@gmail.com).

Thanks in Advance.!

aturaru

Oct 28, 2020
Hi Snoviel,

Can you provide the employment letter for reference. I am in the same boat - hired by a US company and payroll handled through PEO.

It would be of great help if you can share the reference letter (email: khush.mnit@gmail.com).

Thanks in Advance.!
I recently got my corp with the same situation. If your T4 say the PEO name on it, the US company doesn’t matter at all. You would need to obtain the job duties, number of hours worked, title from there in a letter with their logo on it. It might be tricky getting the Job duties with this arrangement though. My peo ghosted me and never replied with any letter. I had to attach my contract, T4s, record of employment from service Ontario and a self made employment reference letter.
it worked out for me, but it is unfortunately something that might not work for you. Best of luck and let me know if you need any more help with this.

khush.k.sidhu

May 17, 2023
I recently got my corp with the same situation. If your T4 say the PEO name on it, the US company doesn’t matter at all. You would need to obtain the job duties, number of hours worked, title from there in a letter with their logo on it. It might be tricky getting the Job duties with this arrangement though. My peo ghosted me and never replied with any letter. I had to attach my contract, T4s, record of employment from service Ontario and a self made employment reference letter.
it worked out for me, but it is unfortunately something that might not work for you. Best of luck and let me know if you need any more help with this.
Thank you so much for the information. I have PEOs name on my T4. Just one more question - letter containing Job duties, hours and tittle should be from PEO or from my US company?

Thanks in advance.! Appreciate your help.!

aturaru

Oct 28, 2020
Thank you so much for the information. I have PEOs name on my T4. Just one more question - letter containing Job duties, hours and tittle should be from PEO or from my US company?

This is where it gets tricky and I would honestly consult with an immigration lawyer or consult.
my opinion, try to go with the PEO first. See if they can add the job descriptions in the letter. If they say no, then perhaps obtain a letter from the US company and add an explanation that you’re working as a contractor through PEO fulfilling these duties. Does your contract have any job duties?

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020

If you have PEO name on T4 then you will need letter from PEO that includes your roles and responsibilities

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
Hello,

1.NOA from CRA
4.T4
5.Offer Letter

I hope this helps.
Hello.

Do you have any sources where to confirm this:
"working for US company with no office or incorporation in Canada is considered as Canadian work experience. This is a new norm of working from Canada for US company"?

Thank you

johncl12

May 5, 2021
Hi
I am in the same situation. I work for a US company as a direct contractor. I am currently working from Ontario remotely. I am in process of creating a incorp. Will this be considered for Canadian working experience or should I go through a PEO?
if yes, can someone suggest a good PEO

johncl12

May 5, 2021
Hello,

1.NOA from CRA
4.T4
5.Offer Letter

I hope this helps.
Hi
I am in the same situation. I work for a US company as a direct contractor. I am currently working from Ontario remotely. I am in process of creating a incorp. Will this be considered for Canadian working experience or should I go through a PEO?
if yes, can someone suggest a good PEO