+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does work perormed in Canada under study permit count for CEC as worker?

nikolai_s

Jul 13, 2010
Good afternoon!

I am a Ph.D. Student at the University of Alberta. Although I applied as a Skilled Worker, I doubt I have enough points now (so application will likely fail) and as of June 26 I will not be able to apply under Skilled Worker again. So, at the moment I am left only with CEC.

I am finishing my third year, but as far as I understand I cannot apply as a Graduate unless I both have actually finished a degree and then worked for 1 year full time (or equivalent) after graduating. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that option is unavaliable (for now)?

However, option to immigrate as a temporary foreign worker gives me hope. The CIC website says:

- a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada

- have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization

- apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada

- include the results of an independent language test (from an agency designated by CIC) with your application

I have been working as a Teaching Assistant (TA) and Research Assistant (RA) (both NOC 4122) for almost 3 years. On the document I got from the department, it says that TA is 12 hours/week and RA is 36 hours/week. I have been an RA roughly 2/3 of the time. So, that should give me equivalent 2 years of paid full-time (assuming it is 37.5 hours/week) skilled work soon.

Now, the trick is that I got all that work experience while holding a study permit. The work is definitely legal since study permit does allow one to work in the same university where they are getting education (and, in fact, I am paid by the university).

So, my questions are:

- Does work done legally under a study permit count towards temporary foreign worker part of CEC?

- For foreign graduates, it is specifically stated that their work done while pursuing their studies does not count for that one year that they need. However, does that apply to those who are applying as temporary foreign workers under CEC?

- If I am fine on the above two points, should I apply as soon as I have equivalent of 2 years full time as TA/RA?

Thank you!

- Nikolai

amd1463

Jul 25, 2010
I have searched the previous post regarding GRA as a work experience for CEC, but still, I have questions in my mind.

"I am M.Sc. student, have started my program in Sept, 2008 and receiving GRA (full time). All my GRA income is taxable and I have my T4 slip (not T4A) and assessment from CRA.

In Sept, 2010., I am planning to apply under the temporary foreign worker category of CEC.

Could it be possible for anyone to tell me if my work experience as GRA (NOC 4122) under study permit will be eligible for temporary foreign worker category of CEC ?

Thanking you in anticipation

Regards,

Amd

dapin84

Star Member
Jul 28, 2010
Hi Nikolai,

I am at the U of A as well, and I have exactly the same problem as you, however I got a letter from human resources which says I am hired in a 36 hours full time basis, although I am GTA/GRA, so it might work, my e-mail is pinznlat@ualb... Please write me to see if working together we can find a solution.

David