+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does work experience before PGWP application count?

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
Hello!

I finished studies on December 7, 2018, and I started working on December 8. However, I didn't receive my confirmation of graduation letter till February 13, 2019. I applied for PGWP on February 14. So, can I use the work experience I gained before applying for PGWP for express entry?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
How did you start working before applying for your PGWP? You worked without legal status, and this will be an issue when you apply for Express Entry.

Unless you had some form of valid work permit (Spousal OWP?)?

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
How did you start working before applying for your PGWP? You worked without legal status, and this will be an issue when you apply for Express Entry.

Unless you had some form of valid work permit (Spousal OWP?)?
I was a student, and I was working at this company. When I finished my studies, I continued working. I didn't know I was supposed t stop working. All my friends were working while waiting for their graduation letters.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I was a student, and I was working at this company. When I finished my studies, I continued working. I didn't know I was supposed t stop working. All my friends were working while waiting for their graduation letters.
Unfortunately, "I didn't know" is not a valid reason to not meet the conditions of your study permit. Nor is "my friends did it too".

Were you working full-time at this company while you were a student?

The fact remains that you worked without status, and this can be an issue when you apply for Express Entry. Your employer will have to give a letter stating the date you started working, and your PGWP application date will be in the system. It will be clear that you worked without status.

There's nothing you can do about this now. However, you should understand the terms and conditions of any immigration programs for the next time.

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
No, I was working part-time as a student, and I continued part-time for a while after I stopped studying.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, I was working part-time as a student, and I continued part-time for a while after I stopped studying.
If IRCC considers that your course of study was not complete, then it will be fine. However, if they say that your classes finished on Dec 7th, and therefore your right to work also ended, it will be an issue.

However - this is not an uncommon situation, and most of the time they are lenient, especially since you did apply for a PGWP as soon as you got your letter of graduation.

In terms of work history - any work done during a course of studies is not counted under the Canadian Experience Class. However, work done after getting a PGWP is counted (even on implied status). In your case, I don't think you should count the work you did between Dec 8 - Feb 14, since one of these two possibilities must be true:

1. You were working without status - this cannot be counted, only legal work can be counted.

OR

2. You were working with status - but the status was that of a student, and this work cannot be counted under CEC.

To be on the safe side, count only work you did from the day you applied for a PGWP.

vik2595

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-10-2019
Nomination.....
28-05-2020
Med's Done....
12-05-2020
Hello!

I finished studies on December 7, 2018, and I started working on December 8. However, I didn't receive my confirmation of graduation letter till February 13, 2019. I applied for PGWP on February 14. So, can I use the work experience I gained before applying for PGWP for express entry?
Hi ,

did you got your PR?

I've same issue with my work experience.

vik2595

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-10-2019
Nomination.....
28-05-2020
Med's Done....
12-05-2020
Yh but it's illegal to work full time before you apply for PGWP.

but I've worked full time for 2 weeks before I applied PGWP.

What's in that case?

Rupinder93

May 23, 2018
Hi all.. please help
I have applied for PR. I counted experience of one year from the day i applied for work experience. But the problem is while applying I forgot to mention in LOE that I counted experience from the day i applied
-Is it necessary to tell this in LOE??
-If yes then how can i tell them now?? And what document i should add so that i could prove that i applied for work permit

Please help

Anasone

Jun 1, 2019
Hi all.. please help
I have applied for PR. I counted experience of one year from the day i applied for work experience. But the problem is while applying I forgot to mention in LOE that I counted experience from the day i applied
-Is it necessary to tell this in LOE??
-If yes then how can i tell them now?? And what document i should add so that i could prove that i applied for work permit

Please help
You don't need to tell them anything. You are ok.