+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Visitor visa get cancelled after applying for PR ?

Hassan89

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Hello Everyone,
Brief background: My Fiancé is planning to apply for a visitor visa now and then apply for Spousal sponsorship after getting married later.
My Question is: Does the Visitor visa get cancelled after applying for a PR (spousal sponsorship) ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,
Brief background: My Fiancé is planning to apply for a visitor visa now and then apply for Spousal sponsorship after getting married later.
My Question is: Does the Visitor visa get cancelled after applying for a PR (spousal sponsorship) ?
It's only cancelled after she becomes a PR.

Reactions: YVR123

Hassan89

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies everyone. So my other questions are :
1) Can she enter Canada on a visitor visa after she has already applied for PR (through spousal sponsorship) ?

2) Also, if she already has a visitor visa , does it make any difference if she applies for PR from inside or outside Canada .

Note: Anyone with experience in this matter is welcomed to comment. I am trying to find the most efficient and safest way for my Fiance to join me here in Canada after we get married.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
1) Can she enter Canada on a visitor visa after she has already applied for PR (through spousal sponsorship) ?

2) Also, if she already has a visitor visa , does it make any difference if she applies for PR from inside or outside Canada .

Note: Anyone with experience in this matter is welcomed to comment. I am trying to find the most efficient and safest way for my Fiance to join me here in Canada after we get married.
1) No
2) You can sponsor her while she is inside Canada or outside. And you can apply outland while she is inside or outside Canada. But for inland, she is supposed to live with you inside Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I'm going to give different answers from above, I think @YVR123 and I may have understood your question or circumstances differently.

Note, this is somewhat hypothetical if your fiancee does not have a visitor visa.

Also, in all cases, the sponsor must reside in Canada throughout the process - short trips abroad are okay, but application must be made from within Canada.

1) Yes, although note if she applies from outside Canada, that has to be the 'inland' process (in which case this question doesn't make that much sense).

2) Yes, it makes a difference - they are somewhat different. "Inland" - must apply from w/i Canada and reside in Canada throughout. There is possiblity of open work permit at some point during the process - although lately this seems to be quite close to end of process so minor advantage. "Outland" - can apply from inside or out Canada; not necessary to live together (can go in and out of Canada if visa); no open work permit possible.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
1) No
2) You can sponsor her while she is inside Canada or outside. And you can apply outland while she is inside or outside Canada. But for inland, she is supposed to live with you inside Canada.
Oops.. I put in the wrong answer for 1). I mean Yes if she has a valid visitor visa, she can enter.

Reactions: armoured