+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does US citizen need special visa to marry Canadian in Canada?

Batinah

Sep 19, 2007
Hello, I'm a US citizen and my fiance lives in Montreal. He just recently moved back there after being in the states for years. While he was in the states he worked illegaly and is now banned from entry to the US for five years.

We want to get married in Canada soon, so we can start my immigration process. Is there anything wrong with going to Canada as a visitor and marrying him while I'm there? Will it affect the immigration process negatively? Do I need a special visa to marry him there?

Then can we apply outside of Canada even though we will be married there. I can come back to the states and wait for notification if it's just 49 days.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
A US citizen does not need a special visa to marry a Canadian. I'm American and I married my Canadian husband in Canada this summer while I was visiting. The only thing I needed was to show my passport to get the marriage license.

I'm applying for permanent residence outside of Canada. However, it will almost definitely take more than 49 days. It's 49 days at Mississauga, then another 3 - 9 months. I also know that Quebec has its own policies. I'm applying to Ontario, so I'm not sure what you have to do for that.