+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does university reputation really matter?

carl2341

Feb 20, 2014
I am considering applying to a small university (Saint Mary's University) in Halifax, NS. Halifax is kind of an "isolated" city on the east coast of Canada, and for some reason, I don't see many of you talking about it. It is usually ignored by international students, which I personally find weird, considering it is a big city compared to places like Saskatoon and Regina, which are always mentioned on these forums.
Saint Mary's is not a very well-known university, but from what I've read, it's not a bad one either. It apparently has a strong business program. The tuition for international students is also not that expensive in comparison to other universities in Canada.
I've also considered applying to Dalhousie, but I don't think I'd be accepted there. Plus, the tuition is more expensive. I'm thinking about attending Saint Mary's for two years, and then transferring to Dalhousie, which obviously has a much better reputation.

My biggest concern is that after I graduate, I won't be able to find a job in other provinces because I went to a not-so-prestigious University. What do you guys think about that?