+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does type A work experience BEFORE degree count?

npoe

Aug 15, 2018
Hi,

I am currently trying to sort out my work experience for an EE FSW application. My primary occupation (NOC 4012) covers about 30 months of full-time equivalent foreign work experience, so eligibility is covered. However, I would like to get the total up to 36 for some extra CRS points.

I have 8 months of full-time NOC 5122 (type A) from before I was a student (plus some more during summer breaks). All of it is well-documented, decently paid, and I have a detailed reference letter stating my duties.

Here is what I am worried about:
  1. I was a minor during part of the work experience.
  2. I did not have a university degree at the time. Rather, my "qualification" was that I did well enough during an internship to be offered an entry-level job (which I quit after 8 months to go to university). So far, I was under the impression that the lack of degree precludes me from using this work experience. However, I found the following statement on https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html:
    The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description.
  3. The initial 8 months started in November 2009, so will start to "expire" in November 2019. Which point in the application process is used to determine the 10 year window?
If anyone has any experience related to these questions, thanks in advance!
N.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi,

I am currently trying to sort out my work experience for an EE FSW application. My primary occupation (NOC 4012) covers about 30 months of full-time equivalent foreign work experience, so eligibility is covered. However, I would like to get the total up to 36 for some extra CRS points.

I have 8 months of full-time NOC 5122 (type A) from before I was a student (plus some more during summer breaks). All of it is well-documented, decently paid, and I have a detailed reference letter stating my duties.

Here is what I am worried about:
  1. I was a minor during part of the work experience.
  2. I did not have a university degree at the time. Rather, my "qualification" was that I did well enough during an internship to be offered an entry-level job (which I quit after 8 months to go to university). So far, I was under the impression that the lack of degree precludes me from using this work experience. However, I found the following statement on https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/assessing-applications-against-minimum-requirements.html:
  3. The initial 8 months started in November 2009, so will start to "expire" in November 2019. Which point in the application process is used to determine the 10 year window?
If anyone has any experience related to these questions, thanks in advance!
N.
My type 0 work experience pre-bachelor degree was counted.
For the undergrad part not sure about that.

Reactions: Kanae and thementor

thementor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Congratulations! I see that you already landed in Canada.
May I ask what was your primary NOC for which your work experience pre-Bachelor was counted and also around what age were you back then?
I am in a similar situation for NOC 0621.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Congratulations! I see that you already landed in Canada.
May I ask what was your primary NOC for which your work experience pre-Bachelor was counted and also around what age were you back then?
I am in a similar situation for NOC 0621.
I started working at NOC 0123 just before my 20th birthday

Reactions: thementor

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I applied for under code 2161 as a Statistician which says that statisticians usually have a masters.

A significant chunk of my work experience was based off of my undergrad degree and then i did my masters and then the remainder of my work experience. It was accepted.

thementor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
I started working at NOC 0123 just before my 20th birthday
@hamgha, thanks for the reply! I am in a similar situation for NOC 0621. I want to use my work experience accumulated between my 19th and 20th birthday (12 months full time). This was after completion of my secondary school and before I went to college.

May I ask if you already completed your first degree before your 20th birthday (that is, during the period when you showed your work experience in NOC 0123)? I am wondering since these are managerial roles, would the analyst be skeptical about it in my case since I worked in a managerial position before going to college and when I was around 20 years old. In my country, this is completely reasonable.

I am curious to know if the analyst was skeptical in your case or required further 'review' of your experience? Even if they are skeptical, they cannot refuse the work experience on 'the balance of probabilities', can they? My guess is that the most they can do is ask me for an interview (which I am confident to pass). Thanks again. Looking forward to hear from you.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
@hamgha, thanks for the reply! I am in a similar situation for NOC 0621. I want to use my work experience accumulated between my 19th and 20th birthday (12 months full time). This was after completion of my secondary school and before I went to college.

May I ask if you already completed your first degree before your 20th birthday (that is, during the period when you showed your work experience in NOC 0123)? I am wondering since these are managerial roles, would the analyst be skeptical about it in my case since I worked in a managerial position before going to college and when I was around 20 years old. In my country, this is completely reasonable.

I am curious to know if the analyst was skeptical in your case or required further 'review' of your experience? Even if they are skeptical, they cannot refuse the work experience on 'the balance of probabilities', can they? My guess is that the most they can do is ask me for an interview (which I am confident to pass). Thanks again. Looking forward to hear from you.
no i completed my degree three semesters after that as I couldn't take max credits. there was no review required or request for additional information. in my country it's rare, but not unreasonable

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
no it was an actual company (0 relation) so I only needed the reference letter that had all the requested information

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Yes actually they did say minor in their original post, refer to point 1 in their question
and i replied with
we talk about our own experiences here

saudjafri

Nov 2, 2015
Hello Hamgha/Smash,

I am in a similar situation in which you might be in 3 years ago. While going through the blogs looking for the answer, i landed here and thought about discussing.

Below are the details

2011-2014, Worked as a secondary school teacher along with my Full time Bachelors
2015, Completed the bachelors
Aug2015-Sept2016, Worked in another school as secondary school teacher
Aug2018-Aug2019, Pursued Masters in Education
Aug2019-till now, Working again as secondary school teacher

Out of 5 years of experience, 3 years are during the bachelors. With CLB 10 in ielts, my CRS is 478 if i include those 3 years. However an immigration lawyer told me that i should not count on that experience as bachelors is mandatory to count on teaching experience.

Not sure whether its a trick, so i sign up with him or it's a valid one. Though, so far i haven't come across any document/site which says so.

Grateful if you can share your views.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Hamgha/Smash,

I am in a similar situation in which you might be in 3 years ago. While going through the blogs looking for the answer, i landed here and thought about discussing.

Below are the details

2011-2014, Worked as a secondary school teacher along with my Full time Bachelors
2015, Completed the bachelors
Aug2015-Sept2016, Worked in another school as secondary school teacher
Aug2018-Aug2019, Pursued Masters in Education
Aug2019-till now, Working again as secondary school teacher

Out of 5 years of experience, 3 years are during the bachelors. With CLB 10 in ielts, my CRS is 478 if i include those 3 years. However an immigration lawyer told me that i should not count on that experience as bachelors is mandatory to count on teaching experience.

Not sure whether its a trick, so i sign up with him or it's a valid one. Though, so far i haven't come across any document/site which says so.

Grateful if you can share your views.
I am not aware of any such requirements for work experience either.

The only thing I am not sure about is how could you study full time and work full time (during your bachelors)?

saudjafri

Nov 2, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

It's from the online learning university based in different country and i was based in another country.
The degree i received is for regular bachelors and it no where states that its an online learning. Same is the case with my Masters, and WES acknowledged the Canadian equivalency as Masters.