+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the time spent in USA working for United Nations count toward permanent resident status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
that's.... brutal. He has a family in Canada, and had to leave to work elsewhere for a better paying job than being a part time laborer at corner deli store and he is being punished for that. HOLLY. I bet he spent all his money on his family who is in Canada. He did opposite of most immigrants, worked and sent money into Canada vs worked in Canada and sent money out of economy to another country.

Given this guy couldn't get it, makes me lose hope.. -_- ....
When his children were in Canada he was a tax resident. His wife and children were living in Canada and using services so paying taxes comes with that.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
that's.... brutal. He has a family in Canada, and had to leave to work elsewhere for a better paying job than being a part time laborer at corner deli store and he is being punished for that. HOLLY. I bet he spent all his money on his family who is in Canada. He did opposite of most immigrants, worked and sent money into Canada vs worked in Canada and sent money out of economy to another country.

Keep in mind that's the result of an appeal and the use of working for the UN as grounds for H&C relief from the obligation. Whether you are reported on entry is a completely different matter. The odds of being reported are uncalculable as there are too many variables involved. My personal belief is if you are a PR (and you still are at this point) you have nothing to loose by trying to re-enter. Deal with the decision to appeal or not if and when it presents itself.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Keep in mind that's the result of an appeal and the use of working for the UN as grounds for H&C relief from the obligation. Whether you are reported on entry is a completely different matter. The odds of being reported are uncalculable as there are too many variables involved. My personal belief is if you are a PR (and you still are at this point) you have nothing to loose by trying to re-enter. Deal with the decision to appeal or not if and when it presents itself.
Whether they want
Asking for a friend:

I got my PR in mid 2000s, but then got a job at U.N. in NYC on G-4 visa and have been here ever since.

I believe that PR status also expires after certain amount of time out of country. However if you are working for the govt outside of Canada it still counts.

so the question does working for the United Nations fall under working for the Govt.

How can I get a definite answer on this? I am unable to find an email for Canadian Immigration.

Thank you!
Does your have a family and where do they live?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

His family living in Canada makes him a Canadian tax resident so he is required to pay Canadian taxes. If your family is living in Canada and benefitting from the services then you are required to pay taxes. That isn’t a crazy concept. You keep saying sent money. He could have sent money to his family but also was required to pay taxes as a tax resident of Canada if he had PR and a family living in Canada. Hard to know if you are referring to your friend or the appeal case.

Reactions: Taran D

qun39ea

Jan 26, 2023
His family living in Canada makes him a Canadian tax resident so he is required to pay Canadian taxes. If your family is living in Canada and benefitting from the services then you are required to pay taxes. That isn’t a crazy concept. You keep saying sent money. He could have sent money to his family but also was required to pay taxes as a tax resident of Canada if he had PR and a family living in Canada. Hard to know if you are referring to your friend or the appeal case.
I was talking about appeal case, i'm not talking about tax money, im saying money his family spent in economy. Money coming into the country is always a good thing. He was working abroad and sent money to his family in CA presumably.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was talking about appeal case, i'm not talking about tax money, im saying money his family spent in economy. Money coming into the country is always a good thing. He was working abroad and sent money to his family in CA presumably.
If you read the appeal case in detail, you'll see that his family (spouse and young children) were actually in Cameroon and not in Canada. His adult children were in Canada.

Anyway, ulitmately we can't tell you what will happen to your friend when he crosses the border. All we can tell you is that time spent working for the UN outside of Canada won't be counted towards the PR residency requirement by IRCC.

Good luck.