+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the Post Graduate Certificate (2 years) considered Masters?

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi guys,

Some Background Info :
I am originally from India,
I did Bachelors of Computer Applications (3 years Bachelors) in India, and I am in 1st Division. So those of you who don't know, basically above 60% out of 100 in my bachelors.

I did Post Graduation Certificate course in Canada : Mobile Application Design and Development (2 years course) and got into Software Engineering position in GTA. But I am aiming for doing Masters from UOFT or some good university in Computer Science and possible go into Research. While in Canada, I did Applied Research in Lambton College, for past 1 year.

Question :
Now admission's minimum requirements are that I need to have bachelors degree (3 years) and masters degree (2 years) to be eligible for masters in computer science in Canada. So does the Post Graduate Certificate (2 years) in Canada will be considered as Masters or it will be added to my Bachelors, does making it Bachelors (4 years) degree? For the life of me, I can't figure out. Or should I get WES credentials and then ask university about possible admission?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Post grad is definitely not a masters degree, it is its own thing, some credits might transfer to your masters program depending on the college/university.

But those admission requirements dont sound right, why would you need a masters to do a masters?
Talk to the university admission office, maybe make an appointment and go there personally.

May I ask why you are making this move? Software is a lucrative industry in Toronto no? Curious since I am planing to get into the industry next year.

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Post grad is definitely not a masters degree, it is its own thing, some credits might transfer to your masters program depending on the college/university.

But those admission requirements dont sound right, why would you need a masters to do a masters?
Talk to the university admission office, maybe make an appointment and go there personally.

May I ask why you are making this move? Software is a lucrative industry in Toronto no? Curious since I am planing to get into the industry next year.
IDK, but I found I can do masters from York University, but have to do 1 Year Undergraduate at 3000 and 4000 Level, and then I can do 2 years Masters from there. It's a mess, tbh

ron24by7@gmail.com

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
IDK, but I found I can do masters from York University, but have to do 1 Year Undergraduate at 3000 and 4000 Level, and then I can do 2 years Masters from there. It's a mess, tbh
PG diploma doesn't come to Master. Both are different. I am not sure ..why you want to do master now.. I don't see any benefit with it

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
PG diploma doesn't come to Master. Both are different. I am not sure ..why you want to do master now.. I don't see any benefit with it
I am not doing Masters for PR, or something else. Why does one do masters? Because I want to do it. Lol

Benifits are :- You can get much greater carrer/income and a chance to do Phd

Hitesh Chopra

Oct 5, 2020
Hi guys,

Some Background Info :
I am originally from India,
I did Bachelors of Computer Applications (3 years Bachelors) in India, and I am in 1st Division. So those of you who don't know, basically above 60% out of 100 in my bachelors.

I did Post Graduation Certificate course in Canada : Mobile Application Design and Development (2 years course) and got into Software Engineering position in GTA. But I am aiming for doing Masters from UOFT or some good university in Computer Science and possible go into Research. While in Canada, I did Applied Research in Lambton College, for past 1 year.

Question :
Now admission's minimum requirements are that I need to have bachelors degree (3 years) and masters degree (2 years) to be eligible for masters in computer science in Canada. So does the Post Graduate Certificate (2 years) in Canada will be considered as Masters or it will be added to my Bachelors, does making it Bachelors (4 years) degree? For the life of me, I can't figure out. Or should I get WES credentials and then ask university about possible admission?
Hey. Did you get admission in any college for your masters? Also did you get 3 year work permit after completing this course?Please reply

Thanks

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hey. Did you get admission in any college for your masters? Also did you get 3 year work permit after completing this course?Please reply

Thanks
Yeah got the work permit, and in process of PR, hopefully will get PR in hand by next year. Didn't went for masters right now, as international student fee is too much, will do it after getting PR. Right now, preparing for all courses needed in masters, like data science