+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does the Canadian visa benefit you while traveling but before landing ?

sunshine0484

Nov 26, 2013
hello, I will be landing soon and was wondering if anybody knows if I need a visa to stay inside Toulouse(france) airport while waiting for a connecting flight as well as waiting inside armsterdam(netherlands) for my last connecting flight to canada?? will it help that my passport has the Canadian visa inside now? any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not visa exempt with either of these countries with my citizenship .

thanks and good luck to everybody.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunshine0484 said:
hello, I will be landing soon and was wondering if anybody knows if I need a visa to stay inside Toulouse(france) airport while waiting for a connecting flight as well as waiting inside armsterdam(netherlands) for my last connecting flight to canada?? will it help that my passport has the Canadian visa inside now? any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not visa exempt with either of these countries with my citizenship .

thanks and good luck to everybody.
If you are inside of the Airport and do not go out, then you may not need a visa.

The best source to answer your question though is your travel agent. Since I am guessing your luggage will be forwarded automatically, you should be fine.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I think you are going to have a problem. You will need whatever you otherwise would to clear customs in those countries or else stay within the 'secure' area (for connecting passengers). But I would check the immigration pages of "those" countries, rather than a travel agent.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
I believe you'll run into problems, because you aren't simply transiting once, you will have a domestic (Schengen) flight. My friend had this exact problem, with 2 transfers. If you only had one, in say Amsterdam, then you'd be okay. The flight from Toulouse to Amsterdam is Schengen, and therefore you need to have a visa.

can_4visa

Jun 23, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2013
AOR Received.
02-04-2013
File Transfer...
23-04-2013
Med's Done....
19-02-2013
Passport Req..
24-05-2013 (As per GCMS notes)- missed it as no email received.
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2013
LANDED..........
07-12-2013
Just cross check I think it's going to be problematic as one can not cross to Schengen countries (France and Netherlands) in your case without transit visa.

sunshine0484

Nov 26, 2013
thanks for all your replies.

what happened to your friend if you don't mind me asking ? so even if I'm not leaving the airport and have proof of connecting flights + luggage directly to final destination, I'll have problems? do I need to get a visa in an advance or can I pay for one at the airports ?

thanks again.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
A transit visa would only apply if the OP was going through one country (such as France OR the Netherlands) and his nationality requires a transit visa, but he is going through 2 Schengen airports, therefore he needs a tourist visa.

My friend was refused the visa, so it became a moot point. However the consulate confirmed, and so did border control, that she would not have been allowed in, and possibly not even on the plane.

sunshine0484

Nov 26, 2013
wow. it won't make a difference having the Canadian visa in my passport either?

thanks for informing me about this. I didn't know :eek:

micmac101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2010
North Shore of New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2010
LANDED..........
Husband arrived October 17,2014
sunshine0484 said:
wow. it won't make a difference having the Canadian visa in my passport either?

thanks for informing me about this. I didn't know :eek:
Welcome to Canada and may all your travels be safe In Sha Allah

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
Here is some info:

"If you are holding a valid Permanent Resident Card of Canada, or a valid Green Card of the USA AND you are not going out of the international zone of the airport AND you are holding confirmed airplane tickets (NO « stand-by ») AND your next destination after France is not a Schengen country, then, no matter what your nationality is, you do not need a Type A visa. You can transit without a visa."
Source: http://www.consulfrance-vancouver.org/Airport-transit-visa#what-airport-transit-visa

According to this statement, if your flight from France was directly to Canada, or outside Schengen, then your Canadian PR would have allowed you to enter the French airport without a visa. But, since you are going from France to another Schengen country, then you need a short stay Schengen visa.

OR

"Three possibilities :
1. You are coming from a foreign country and are transiting through an airport in France to travel to another airport in France or the Schengen Area;
2. You are coming from a foreign country and are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area without leaving the International Zone of the French airport;
3. You are coming from a foreign country and are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area and you need to leave the International Zone of the French airport.

If you are transiting through an airport in France to travel to another airport in France or the Schengen Area
You enter the Schengen Area at your arrival airport in France. You pass border police control at this point. Unless you are exempt, you are required to have an entry and short-stay visa for the Schengen Area.

Examples :
- You arrive at Roissy-CDG airport to change planes for Nice, Bordeaux, Madrid, Berlin or Athens. Since these cities are within the Schengen Area, immigration control is carried out at Roissy-CDG airport by the French border police. Your onward flight from Roissy-CDG to Nice, Bordeaux, Madrid, Berlin or Athens is a domestic flight for immigration purposes ;
- You arrive at Roissy-CDG airport to change planes for Amsterdam and then New York. You enter the Schengen Area for the Roissy-CDG-Amsterdam leg of your journey. Immigration control is carried out at Roissy-CDG airport by the French border police. Your Roissy-CDG-Amsterdam flight is a domestic flight for immigration purposes.

If you are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area without leaving the International Zone of the French airport

As a foreign national, you do not enter the Schengen Area. In principle, you are not subject to entry visa requirements, with some exceptions. Certain nationalities are subject to visa requirements to transit through an airport in France (Airport Transit Visa or ATV).
French regulations divide the foreign nationals requiring an ATV into two groups, for whom different exemptions may apply.

First group
- Nationals of the following states: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iraq, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka;
- Persons who are not nationals of the above countries but are holders of travel documents issued by the authorities of one of these countries;
- Statutory refugees from these countries;
- Holders of Palestinian refugee travel documents.
Exempt from Airport Transit Visa
Exempted by France from ATV are :
- aircrew members, nationals of a state party to the Chicago Convention ;
- holders of diplomatic passports ;
- holders of a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area ;
- holders of a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or the United States, that guarantees unrestricted right of return ;
- holders of a visa valid for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, Japan or the United States ;
- Members of the family of a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland ;
- Holders of a valid uniform visa, national long-stay visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state.

Second group
- Nationals of the following states holding ordinary passports: Albania, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Colombia, Congo (Brazzaville), Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, The Gambia, Guinea (Conakry), Guinea Bissau, Haiti, India, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo ;
- Persons who are not nationals of the above countries but are holders of travel documents issued by the authorities of one of these countries ;
- Statutory refugees from these countries ;
- Holders of Palestinian refugee travel documents ;
- Holders of Palestinian refugee travel documents issued by the Egyptian, Lebanese or Syrian authorities.
Exempt from Airport Transit Visa : the same exemptions as above currently apply.

If you are transiting through an airport in France to travel to an airport outside the Schengen Area and you need to leave the International Zone of the French airport
You may need to leave the International Zone :

- because you need to change airports in Paris (e.g. Roissy-CDG to Orly) ;
- or because your connecting flight does not leave on the same day and you need to spend the night in a hotel outside the International Zone ;
- or because you are transiting through an airport in France to travel by some other form of transport to another destination.
E.g. : you are arriving at Roissy-CDG to take the Eurostar train to London. You leave the International Zone to travel on to the railway station;
- or for any other reason.

In all these cases, you enter the Schengen Area, and, unless you are exempt from short-stay visa requirements, you must apply in advance for an entry and stay visa in order to transit through France.

Source: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/getting-a-visa/article/what-type-of-visa-do-i-need-to

Considering all this, I do think you need a short stay Schengen visa, because you have a domestic Schengen flight (France - Netherlands). If I were you, I would call the customs in France to ask for clarification and I would look into applying for a short stay Schengen visa.

sunshine0484

Nov 26, 2013
thank you very much avadava for posting all that information. it does seem like a valid Canadian visa would be enough tho. I'll call to be sure.

Micmac thank you very much. God bless all of you.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
I don't think the visa in a passport is a PR, I think you actually only receive the PR when you land for first time in Canada. I may be wrong. But I have been researching this as inchallah I want my husband to come through London, and to do that, even with Canadian Visa or a PR he will need a transit visa.

micmac101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2010
North Shore of New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2010
LANDED..........
Husband arrived October 17,2014
jomz said:
I don't think the visa in a passport is a PR, I think you actually only receive the PR when you land for first time in Canada. I may be wrong. But I have been researching this as inchallah I want my husband to come through London, and to do that, even with Canadian Visa or a PR he will need a transit visa.
Salam where would your husband be starting his journey from In Sha Allah? If its Pakistan why not PIA its a direct flight and would be the easiest with no stops in between In Sha Allah??

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
The Canadian visa is not enough. Read the first section, as it's the one that applies to you. You are entering the Schengen zone and are therefore required to have a short-stay (tourist) visa. Your Canadian visa would only help you if you stopped once in France, but you are stopping twice in the Schengen zone.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
jomz said:
This is correct. The IM -1 visa is single use only and if there is a problem with landing (bad COPR, for example), you will not be able to enter Canada. Unlike a PR card, it is not a guaranteed entry, so doesn't meet the requirements.