+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Research assistantship counts towards two years of full time experience?

borna

Jan 5, 2011
Hi
I would truly appreciate it if you help me clarify my situation for immigration. I'm a PhD student at Dalhousie university. I've been working as a research assistant here for two years. The tax form that I receive is T4a (non-taxable income, the form says scholarship) and I'm doing the research for my thesis. My supervisor is willing to give a letter indicating that I'm doing more than 37 hours of work per week for my research. Do you think that I'm eligible to apply under Canadian Experience(TFW)? Has anyone applied with the same situation as mine and received a feedback from immigration office?
Best Regards
Borna

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Probably not.

You are not an employee of the University and do not earn a salary or wages. You have a scholarship that supports you while you perform your own thesis research. You are not technically an assistant employed on another researcher's project.

You can search this forum, and see that this subject has been a matter of considerable debate, but CIC has not yet clarified the matter. You can certainly try calling CIC... if you do, let us know what they say.

borna

Jan 5, 2011
Hi
Thanks for replying. Actually I have called them (couple of times) and their answer is YES and I am eligible according to the agents that I have talked to. I was wondering if anyone has done it before and what the result was. The other concern is that if they accept it as a job, is it considered full time (because of being a full time student at the same time)? I have also read all the treads regarding this matter but no one gives a concrete answer or a (un)successful example.

Regards,
Borna

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I know several RAs have applied, but no word yet on the outcome. People have gotten varying responses from CIC, but if you have been told more than once that you are eligible, then it would be reasonable to apply.

I don't think the issue is being a full-time student, rather the issue is documenting the # of hours worked per week (BTW, it has to be a minimum of 37.5 hours per week to be full time), so if your supervisor attests that you work those hours, it should be OK.

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Agree with jes_ON. The issue really is whether you can prove that you worked full-time as RA and whether the duties you performed match with those stated under NOC 4122. Your supervisor should be able to categorically state that you worked full-time and include all the details required in the reference letter (including the duties that you performed).

I applied on the basis of having obtained a Master's from Canada and worked as a RA (full-time) and TA (part-time) for 1 year (while a PhD student). I provided the T4A for RA (scholarship) and T4 for the TA, but there shouldn't be a problem even if you only submitted the T4A.

The hours I worked as a TA were actually very few (~5hrs /week) but I needed them to prove that I am proficient in English since the TA appointment letters clearly indicated that I needed to be proficient in English to be offered the TAship. So far, I have not had any problems - they've now requested for medicals.

All the best
Essat

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey Essat - I missed that news - congrats, file transfer & medical request... almost done...:)

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
jes_ON said:
Hey Essat - I missed that news - congrats, file transfer & medical request... almost done...:)
Oh yes, almost done. Thanks a lot - your insights on this forum have been very helpful.
Cheers
Essat

borna

Jan 5, 2011
Hi Essat
Congratulations and thanks for your reply. You made me so hopeful. One of the things that worries me is that the research assistantship that I am doing in my PhD is completely for my thesis and someone told me that the work that is being done for your degree is not considered as a job. I have two questions:
Did you have to convince them that being a full-time student (taking courses, etc.) does not prevent you from being a full time research assistant?
Does your T4a form says scholarship as the source of your income?

Best Regards
Borna

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
borna said:
Hi Essat
Congratulations and thanks for your reply. You made me so hopeful. One of the things that worries me is that the research assistantship that I am doing in my PhD is completely for my thesis and someone told me that the work that is being done for your degree is not considered as a job. I have two questions:
Did you have to convince them that being a full-time student (taking courses, etc.) does not prevent you from being a full time research assistant?

I did not have to convince them. I just stated that I was a full-time research assistant working 37.5 hours a week. Ofcourse somewhere in Schedule 8, I stated that I was currently a full-time PhD student (Question 6) and also stated that I was a full-time RA (Question 7). By the nature of most PhDs, being a full-time student means you are doing full-time research. Note that cic knows that research assistants are actually usually enrolled in a university/college as even stated under the employment requirements for NOC code 4122

Does your T4a form says scholarship as the source of your income?

Yes it does

Best Regards
Borna

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Hi Essat,
May I ask you from which university in Canada did you get the full time RA letter. I am at the university of alberta and they are not willing to give me a full time RA letter.

KAMMAR

Star Member
Jun 27, 2010
Thank you Essat,

I'm about to finish my Master Degree and was thinking about not starting my PhD right away to count 1 year of experience. Now, I can continue waiting in offers :)

Thanks,
-Khaled

borna

Jan 5, 2011
Hi Essat
I believe that you have applied under graduate stream. The CIC website clearly indicates that the work experience that is needed for graduate stream should have been done under a valid WORK PERMIT but you were doing a PhD. Could you please clarify this?
Regards
Borna

KAMMAR

Star Member
Jun 27, 2010
A study permit allows you to work within your university as a full time. After studying 6 months, one can get an off campus work permit that allows working OUT side the university for maximum 20 hours during study days and 40 hours in vacations.

I hope this clarify how one can get work while doing a PhD.

borna

Jan 5, 2011
in that case you need to work for two years (2*20 = 40) and according to him he was working as an RA.