+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does previous work experience (outside of Canada) count as points in CEC?

littlest11

Mar 30, 2020
Hi All! Hope you are all staying safe!
I've received a lot of information through this website but then I need this specific information.
I tried to contact CIC to ask about this but then realised that I can't enquire when I haven't applied for PR or something like that.

I'm now in a stage considering which path will be the best option for me to get PR.
When I calculate my points using CRS, I found out that work experience outside of Canada makes a big difference to me.

I consulted with two different consultants, and they told me different stories, so I'm confused.
My previous work experience outside of Canada is about 1 year in total, but in 2 different companies (7 months, 8 months respectively).
1) First consultant said, it will be regarded as 1 year experience where I could get points.
2) Second consultant said that I can't combine less-than-a-year experiences. (It must be under same employer AND more than 1 consecutive year)
ALSO, work experience outside of Canada DOES NOT count when I'm on CEC path.

Do you know which one is correct? Does anyone have a similar situation like me?
How was your experience?

Thank you very much in advance!

Robin1812

Feb 11, 2019
Here's what I know, IRCC will not send you an invite under CEC if you don't have a minimum of 1 year of Canadian work experience. Now, speaking of different jobs, IRCC will give you points for 1 Year of international experience even if you did not complete one whole year at one job. They give you points based on skills and clearly you have more than 1 year of work experience combined. Rest, once you complete your express entry profile, it will reflect if you are eligible for any immigration program or not.

Reactions: Hussainkhan2019

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi All! Hope you are all staying safe!
I've received a lot of information through this website but then I need this specific information.
I tried to contact CIC to ask about this but then realised that I can't enquire when I haven't applied for PR or something like that.

I'm now in a stage considering which path will be the best option for me to get PR.
When I calculate my points using CRS, I found out that work experience outside of Canada makes a big difference to me.

I consulted with two different consultants, and they told me different stories, so I'm confused.
My previous work experience outside of Canada is about 1 year in total, but in 2 different companies (7 months, 8 months respectively).
1) First consultant said, it will be regarded as 1 year experience where I could get points.
2) Second consultant said that I can't combine less-than-a-year experiences. (It must be under same employer AND more than 1 consecutive year)
ALSO, work experience outside of Canada DOES NOT count when I'm on CEC path.
The first consultant is correct. Second consultant should lose his/her license.

Of course you will have to be able to document your foreign work experience to get the points. See the section, "Proof of Work Experience," here -
https://www.google.com/search?q=completeness+check&rlz=1C1GCEA_enCA845CA845&oq=com&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j35i39j0l3j46j0.5067j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reactions: littlest11

littlest11

Mar 30, 2020
Here's what I know, IRCC will not send you an invite under CEC if you don't have a minimum of 1 year of Canadian work experience. Now, speaking of different jobs, IRCC will give you points for 1 Year of international experience even if you did not complete one whole year at one job. They give you points based on skills and clearly you have more than 1 year of work experience combined. Rest, once you complete your express entry profile, it will reflect if you are eligible for any immigration program or not.
Thank you so much and sorry for late reply. Yes I'm aware that I can only be eligible when I have 1 year or more (1560hrs/52weeks etc) work experience in Canada.

And regarding my concern, thanks that I can combine those two work experiences and get points for that. I actually did another counsel with my first consultant, and she told me if I really want to check, then make virtual account and just see, check, and delete it lol.
But anyway I also tried hard to find official infos and seems like there's no restrictions like it should be 'one continuous job' under CEC route, unlike FSP... Thank you!

littlest11

Mar 30, 2020
The first consultant is correct. Second consultant should lose his/her license.

Of course you will have to be able to document your foreign work experience to get the points.
Haha thank you, actually I don't really trust the second consultant, because he is from my current company...who wants to exploit me :( and he's only suggesting to do BC PNP which is kinda impossible for me as I don't have much experience.

I'm glad that I can put my previous experience outside of Canada. And thank you so much for the link! I'll def. check them out.