+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does PNP restrict future movement?

CWilson

Star Member
May 5, 2015
Hi, I'm wondering about PNP, if I get nominated by a province and decide to move to another part of Canada in the future is this allowed?

I assume there's something in place to stop people getting nominated by a province they don't intend to live in and never living there. Likewise, I'd assume you're not stuck in a province forever.

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CWilson said:
Hi, I'm wondering about PNP, if I get nominated by a province and decide to move to another part of Canada in the future is this allowed?

I assume there's something in place to stop people getting nominated by a province they don't intend to live in and never living there. Likewise, I'd assume you're not stuck in a province forever.

Ideally, in most cases they don't but ethically you are bound to work with them as they sponsor you. But in few cases (say for instance NB), you would need to sign a commitment that you will stay and maintain your primary residence in NB. Not sure of there are any legal implications if you breach it.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
CWilson said:

From the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-15.html

Rights to move and gain livelihood

(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
They can't legally stop you from moving. What they can do is ask you if you intend to reside there, and then yank PR status for misrepresentation if you lied. In other words, if you change your mind the day before you land, you can lose P/R. If you change your mind the day after, you can't.

As a practical matter, it's rare for it to be an issue, and pops up mainly in cases where people either admit somewhere they gamed the system, or they try to do something stupid like land in a different province, then admit they never really had any intention of going to that province. Someone who claims they will live in Ontario, but has been living in BC, lands in BC, who has a job and a house in BC, and makes no attempt to move to Ontario is at risk.

Someone who moves to Ontario, tries rather hard to establish themselves, then two months later runs out of money and has to take a job in another province is fine.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
That gets me thinking of a situation: What if one lives in a border city? Like I can live and register an address in Gatineau, QC and works in Ottawa, ON. (Or otherwise) Would that cause a problem? Since you are explicitly asked whether you are intended to live outside QC in the application.

EasyCanadaVisa

Star Member
Dec 29, 2012
After you show up at the Port of Entry(Any POE) and become a PR of Canada, no province can stop you from living/working anywhere in the country. As a PR, your rights are as per Constitution of Canada which gives you a few rights and obligations to follow. Freedom of Mobility is one of them.
I have seen cases where a foreign national became a PR under the QSW stream, show up at Montreal airport, got the PR stamped, got out of the airport and took a cab to Toronto and happily lived thereafter... No ramifications whatsoever. Ethically this is wrong...

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
EasyCanadaVisa said:
After you show up at the Port of Entry(Any POE) and become a PR of Canada, no province can stop you from living/working anywhere in the country. As a PR, your rights are as per Constitution of Canada which gives you a few rights and obligations to follow. Freedom of Mobility is one of them.
I have seen cases where a foreign national became a PR under the QSW stream, show up at Montreal airport, got the PR stamped, got out of the airport and took a cab to Toronto and happily lived thereafter... No ramifications whatsoever. Ethically this is wrong...
It is wrong, and there are cases where people get in trouble.

Most of it comes at the airport:

http://meurrensonimmigration.com/pnp-participants-denied-entry-at-the-border/

They are aware of the abuse, and are taking steps to address them:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/speeches/2012/2012-01-26.asp

However, retention rates of provincial nominees in their province or territory of nomination vary quite widely. They range from 23% on the East Coast to 95%, for example, in B.C., depending on the province. This issue merits further attention because obviously we don’t want the PN program to be abused where provinces are inviting people to come into their program, into their province, and they in fact end up going somewhere else, and that is one of the key issues coming out of this report.

The evaluation also pointed to some areas of the PNP in need of improvement, particularly in the areas of program design, delivery and accountability, as well as fraud detection. My Department will work with provinces and territories to strengthen these elements of the program and ensure that it remains an effective tool for spreading the benefits of immigration across the country.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
kateg said:

I think CBSA officers are smart enough to determine whether you are intended to stay in QC or not. Like they will check if you have a connecting flight toward another Canadian province, a signed contract of housing, or phone number of a reception in another province.

In the article, the family clearly took logical steps to establish settlement in Vancouver, not Saskatchewan. That is an abuse.

EasyCanadaVisa

Star Member
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah... If you show up at the POE where you are supposed to be like Montreal for QSW or Vancouver if selected by BC, and leave after you are in, there is absolutely no way they can chase you. But if you show up in Toronto when you are a BC PNP nominee, there may be issues. ... However, these issues are few and far in between... Legally, CBSA can question why they chose a particular POE. If you have a definitive answer, they are fine. Remember, they are trained to bust the liars and read in between the lines..

I personally was selected by BC PNP international graduate stream.. I had to leave the country in the middle of the process and decided to coma back after I got my PR.. I had a few friends living in Montreal at the time. So, I decided to show up at Montreal so I can meet them before I head to Vancouver. I was questioned at the airport and I answered all the questions to their satisfaction and here I am now....

workharder

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-16
Hi i am very new to this forum.I have applied for PNP program to saskatchewen and would like to know one thing that if my current employer is toronto based and i can work from saskatchewen for the current employer.Does it work that way?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:

No, Kateg, you were right the first time. The Canadian Charter absolutely forbids any interference with the movement of PRs or citizens within Canada, including Quebec. The government may be trying to prevent fraud in Provincial Nominations, but it MUST detect it before or as the people land. Once they are officially PRs, there is nothing the government can do about where they live or work.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
workharder said:
Hi i am very new to this forum.I have applied for PNP program to saskatchewen and would like to know one thing that if my current employer is toronto based and i can work from saskatchewen for the current employer.Does it work that way?
That's up to your employer, but it sounds unlikely!

workharder

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-16
I did not understand what is unlikely is it employer not giving me saskatchwen as the location to work from or pnp does not allow this kind of a setting

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
While Canada Charter ensures freedom of movement between provinces, there are PNP applications that requires signing a commitment of living in the province for a few years (IIRC NB-PNP-EE stream). Whether offending it causes revoke of PR or any penalty, I don't know.

As a matter of fact, many provinces PNP programs have seen problems of retention. People got into Canada via PNP, but never stay long term.

Many requires a job contract in the province, or have a point system that promotes connection to provinces (e.g SK-PNP) and/or penalize connection to other provinces (e.g. MB-PNP-EE). Hoping a closer connection to the province will attract people that are more likely to stay long term.

workharder said:
I did not understand what is unlikely is it employer not giving me saskatchwen as the location to work from or pnp does not allow this kind of a setting
If the employer contract clearly states your work will be based in SK, then there's no problem.
Think of international companies hires a person in their Canadian office. That is considered as a Canadian job, regardless of where the company domiciles

myangelbei

Sep 15, 2015
ofc this is a big NONO.
Just think about after 4~5 years, your PR card is about to expire, what you gonna do? you're going to renew your PR card by telling the provincial CIC officer that you have never lived in that province?
OR After 4 years you are going to apply to become a citizen, whats gonna happened after cic reviewed your case?! Rejection!

CIC officer knows most people are not that stupid to move/live in SK or MB. Trust me man, if you can handle the -45C winter for 7 month a year, you're my guest.

pi3ce

Sep 22, 2015
@myangelbei but what happens if you can't find a job in SK? Would it be alright to move to a different province?