19-02-2013
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
Hi guys,
I'm a little confused about how employment in Canada works. I'm used to always signing a contract, detailing how many hours I'm going to work, what the wages are, how long the employment will last and so on (I'm from Sweden). But I started a job three weeks ago where I haven't been asked to sign anything, haven't been asked for my SIN until yesterday (when I had to text the manager to ask if I was supposed to work this week at all, since I haven't been told), haven't had anything specified in writing... Is this normal? It's supposed to be 8 hours a week in a store, I've been doing "training" for 3 weeks but haven't gotten any confirmation that I'm going to start working those 8 hours from now on.
What do you think, does this sound sketchy?

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think this is normal. There should be a signed contract. Plus, if you've worked for three weeks and only just provided your employer with your SIN, I'm guessing you've not been paid? What's the agreement as to your wages?
Sounds VERY sketchy (sorry)

*edit* I just noticed that this is a month old, I realise the situation may already be resolved. Care to share an update?

Malin

Jul 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-2013
IELTS Request
-
Med's Request
19-02-2013
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
Hehe... Well, I provided them with the sin and personal info (left out in the open for a week or so), then after over a month I was given papers to read and sign - from the company that HIRES the one I was working for, and they did the background check. Another month after that I got a name tag. Then I was fired for having a bad attitude, when I reminded them of a vacation I'm going on that I told them about when I was hired.
Every other employer I've had an interview/worked with has seemed to have their stuff together a lot better than *cough*TheTimeShop*cough*.

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haha...very interesting...
Oh well, lessons learned. At least you got paid for the time you worked there, and moved on to better things...good luck, hope Canada is kind to you!