+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does OWP make me a resident of Canada?

apri

Sep 26, 2022
Hi,
I recently got my owp through my spouse. I'm an F1 student in the US. We'll be eligible to apply for PR in May. However I won't move permanently to Canada before June. My questions are:
1. Can we apply before I move to Canada?
2. For police clearance purpose, will I be considered residing in Canada or USA? Does having a OWP automatically mean that I know live in Canada even if I'm not physically present there? (I'll have an address and SIN number)

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hi,
I recently got my owp through my spouse. I'm an F1 student in the US. We'll be eligible to apply for PR in May. However I won't move permanently to Canada before June. My questions are:
1. Can we apply before I move to Canada?
2. For police clearance purpose, will I be considered residing in Canada or USA? Does having a OWP automatically mean that I know live in Canada even if I'm not physically present there? (I'll have an address and SIN number)
  1. Yes, you can apply for permanent residence in Canada before you move there. However, you will need to meet the requirements for permanent residence, including any requirements related to physical presence in Canada. It's important to note that having an open work permit (OWP) does not automatically make you eligible for permanent residence. You will still need to meet all the necessary criteria and follow the appropriate process for applying for permanent residence.
  2. For police clearance purposes, you will be considered to be residing in the country where you are physically present. If you are physically present in the United States while applying for permanent residence in Canada, you will be considered to be residing in the United States. If you have an OWP and an address and Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Canada, this does not necessarily mean that you are considered to be physically present or residing in Canada. It is important to note that the requirements for police clearance may vary depending on the specific country or jurisdiction you are applying in. It's a good idea to check with the relevant authorities for more information about the specific requirements for police clearance in your situation.

apri

Sep 26, 2022
  1. Yes, you can apply for permanent residence in Canada before you move there. However, you will need to meet the requirements for permanent residence, including any requirements related to physical presence in Canada. It's important to note that having an open work permit (OWP) does not automatically make you eligible for permanent residence. You will still need to meet all the necessary criteria and follow the appropriate process for applying for permanent residence.
  2. For police clearance purposes, you will be considered to be residing in the country where you are physically present. If you are physically present in the United States while applying for permanent residence in Canada, you will be considered to be residing in the United States. If you have an OWP and an address and Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Canada, this does not necessarily mean that you are considered to be physically present or residing in Canada. It is important to note that the requirements for police clearance may vary depending on the specific country or jurisdiction you are applying in. It's a good idea to check with the relevant authorities for more information about the specific requirements for police clearance in your situation.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Just to follow up, is there any additional requirements regarding number of days I have to be present in Canada if I'm applying under the Canadian Experience Class program? My spouse will be employed in Canada for over 1 year by that time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the detailed reply. Just to follow up, is there any additional requirements regarding number of days I have to be present in Canada if I'm applying under the Canadian Experience Class program? My spouse will be employed in Canada for over 1 year by that time.
You are only a dependent on his application. He must meet the requirement for PR not you. If you don’t live together as a married couple you may have to prove that you are in a legitimate relationship.