+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does owner operated corporation mean self-employed?

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
I know sole propreitorship means self-employed for sure, but if you are incorporated, you can't legally be anything but an employee of the corporation. I know some people who had serious issues with their applications for ticking their corporation as self employed.

I guess the question here is, should I explain my incorporated business as self employed work experience or employee work experience in my EE profile? I'm applying under Canadian Experience class

Ezgi84

Feb 9, 2017
Istanbul
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-03-2017
twranks said:
I know sole propreitorship means self-employed for sure, but if you are incorporated, you can't legally be anything but an employee of the corporation. I know some people who had serious issues with their applications for ticking their corporation as self employed.

I guess the question here is, should I explain my incorporated business as self employed work experience or employee work experience in my EE profile? I'm applying under Canadian Experience class
You are right because a Limited or an incorp is a seperate legal entity so you are an employee of that company.... that is my case as well by the way....

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Thanks fot the reply! Sorry about the issue you are facing. I heard it can be really complicated. Does incorporated work experience give you extra points though? Or is it something you are just supposed to state in your letter of explanation?

Ezgi84

Feb 9, 2017
Istanbul
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-03-2017
twranks said:
Thanks fot the reply! Sorry about the issue you are facing. I heard it can be really complicated. Does incorporated work experience give you extra points though? Or is it something you are just supposed to state in your letter of explanation?
You are welcome, thank you I wasnt rejected but I had quite a few conversations before I figured out what it really is :) I will be submitting my e-apr in two weeks or so ....

So basically you will be an employee of that company , and no it doesnt give you extra points, however you can use that experience towards your work experience points, it is just like working anywhere else :) I stated it in my loe because in my case my mom transferred her shares to me and thats how I became a shareholder in our family owned company so I basically talked about this ....

But in short, it is a seperate legal entity and its different from self-employment... if it was sole as you mentioned, then it would be self-employment..... however since yours is incorporation you are good to go...

Goodluck with your application!

Ezgi84

Feb 9, 2017
Istanbul
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-03-2017

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
So basically you will be an employee of that company , and no it doesnt give you extra points, however you can use that experience towards your work experience points, it is just like working anywhere else :)
Can you expand a bit on this? So let's say I've been working for 7 months at a skill level B job and Ive done 5 months' paid work under my own corporation as an owner operator. Can I join them both to make it one year and cic will accept it?

interstude

May 31, 2017
If your name is on the Article or the Board of Incorporation, then you will be treaded as the owner, you should have T1(for owner) rather then T4(for employee). This is not qualify CEC.

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
If your name is on the Article or the Board of Incorporation, then you will be treaded as the owner, you should have T1(for owner) rather then T4(for employee). This is not qualify CEC.
I talked to an accountant. Turns out I'm gonna get a T4 for my corporation. Guess that makes me an employee? My name is not on the certificate of incorporation.

Srkhan

Nov 25, 2019
Hi,
I am based in India and have a sole proprietorship. Dealing in manufacturing of hand embroidered clothes. and have an online store.
which NOC will that be?
0621 – Retail and wholesale trade managers
Clothing Store Manager?

Can someone advise?