+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does owing IRS or having USA debt impact ability to get a mortgage in Canada?

lizlizliz

Mar 19, 2019
Got my permanent residence a few months ago, maintained steady employment, already have a good credit score in Canada (and "great" score in USA) and husband (Canadian) and I are paying down debt, including back-taxes to the IRS on my end. I've heard that if you owe taxes to the CRA that can interfere with getting a mortgage, but does owing to the IRS affect your ability to get approved for a mortgage to buy a home in Canada? Would IRS have to be fully paid off before we could qualify for a mortgage? Would be buying with my husband. Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thank you!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Got my permanent residence a few months ago, maintained steady employment, already have a good credit score in Canada (and "great" score in USA) and husband (Canadian) and I are paying down debt, including back-taxes to the IRS on my end. I've heard that if you owe taxes to the CRA that can interfere with getting a mortgage, but does owing to the IRS affect your ability to get approved for a mortgage to buy a home in Canada? Would IRS have to be fully paid off before we could qualify for a mortgage? Would be buying with my husband. Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thank you!!
You are required to declare all debts in order for lenders to determine whether you can actually afford a mortgage, so depending on the size of the debt, it could affect how much you qualify for.