+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does OHIP cover pregnancy and Delivery for a new immigrant

PR24

Feb 22, 2013
Hi,

I'm a new immigrant who has landed in toronto on 13th May 2013. My OHIP will be valid from 13th Aug 2013. I'm 22 weeks pregnant rightnow and bearing twins. My due date for delivery is 29th Sep 2013. I would like to know

1. if my delivery cost will be coved by OHIP as i'm expecting it to be a C-section.
2. I need to know the procedure to get myself registered with a gynaecologist.
3. what if it is a premature delivery before the OHIP is active. will I get any medical support from OHIP.

pls advice.

rgds

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - your delivery will be covered as long as it happens once you are covered by OHIP.
2. I would go to a walk in clinic and ask to be referred to an OBGYN.
3. If the delivery is premature and happens before you have OHIP coverage then you will be responsible for paying the medical costs. OHIP will not provide you with support.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Good luck PR24. Twins are always special, I wish and pray that it all goes well for you.
Please keep us posted about your experience as it may benefit many of us as well. Good luck again and wish you a healthy pregnancy

PR24 said:
Hi,

I'm a new immigrant who has landed in toronto on 13th May 2013. My OHIP will be valid from 13th Aug 2013. I'm 22 weeks pregnant rightnow and bearing twins. My due date for delivery is 29th Sep 2013. I would like to know

1. if my delivery cost will be coved by OHIP as i'm expecting it to be a C-section.
2. I need to know the procedure to get myself registered with a gynaecologist.
3. what if it is a premature delivery before the OHIP is active. will I get any medical support from OHIP.

pls advice.

rgds

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Thanks Scylla for detailed response. I have a similar question. I understand that payments will be required for pregnancy related procedures (if delivered before 90 days of landing) but what about the new born? In case of a premature baby (before eligibility of OHIP), will the new born be covered under OHIP? Since premature babies are usually hospitalized for several days (depending on their respective condition). Thanks.

scylla said:
1. Yes - your delivery will be covered as long as it happens once you are covered by OHIP.
2. I would go to a walk in clinic and ask to be referred to an OBGYN.
3. If the delivery is premature and happens before you have OHIP coverage then you will be responsible for paying the medical costs. OHIP will not provide you with support.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
May2010applicant said:
Thanks Scylla for detailed response. I have a similar question. I understand that payments will be required for pregnancy related procedures (if delivered before 90 days of landing) but what about the new born? In case of a premature baby (before eligibility of OHIP), will the new born be covered under OHIP? Since premature babies are usually hospitalized for several days (depending on their respective condition). Thanks.
The newborn will be covered at birth.

shkhassan

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
I have a small concern and will be grateful if some1 can input their suggestions.

I have recently got my PPR request and the same is forwarded to CHC-London. Till the time I'll get my pp's back my wife will finish her 8th month of pregnancy.

Firstly I had plans to deliver the baby in Canada only but as most of you are aware that in Ontario province medical insurance is entitled after 3 months and the cost/quotation which I have got from the hospital varies between 10 - 15 k. (To add I had informed CHC about the pregnancy at the time of Medical and my wife did her medicals including the xray)

Flying from my country is not a problem by using some personal contacts and have even done the flight bookings. I only intend to land in Ontario bcz of relatives n friends.

What should I do. Members your suggestions can help me make a reasonable decision to wait or to fly and face the hurdles?

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
It depends on your personal preference and resources available. Two key points to remember are;

1. If your baby is delivered in Canada, he / she will be a Canadian by birth with no residency requirements.
2. If your baby is delivered before the landing of principal applicant (outside of Canada) then your existing visas will become invalid and you will have to send the passport back to VO for cancellation of your visa (change in composition of family). Afterwards the process may vary, but usually VO will request for the medical of your new born and extension for your medical. The entire process may take anywhere from 2 to 9 months (my estimate only based on past cases) and sometimes even more.

My advice, if you have immediate family members in Ontario and you can afford to pay 10K to 15K CAD then land before delivery (provided you have a go ahead from your doctor for flying). Also there are certain other options for low cost deliveries like midwifes and all. You can search on this forum. Good luck.

shkhassan said:
I have a small concern and will be grateful if some1 can input their suggestions.

I have recently got my PPR request and the same is forwarded to CHC-London. Till the time I'll get my pp's back my wife will finish her 8th month of pregnancy.

Firstly I had plans to deliver the baby in Canada only but as most of you are aware that in Ontario province medical insurance is entitled after 3 months and the cost/quotation which I have got from the hospital varies between 10 - 15 k. (To add I had informed CHC about the pregnancy at the time of Medical and my wife did her medicals including the xray)

Flying from my country is not a problem by using some personal contacts and have even done the flight bookings. I only intend to land in Ontario bcz of relatives n friends.

What should I do. Members your suggestions can help me make a reasonable decision to wait or to fly and face the hurdles?

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014

shkhassan

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
I was not aware of the Visa cancellation information you have conveyed. Thank you for the reply.

Based of Facts I'll Land and face the problems. I'll skip buying a car and get my baby delivered.

Thanks once again

May2010applicant said:
It depends on your personal preference and resources available. Two key points to remember are;

1. If your baby is delivered in Canada, he / she will be a Canadian by birth with no residency requirements.
2. If your baby is delivered before the landing of principal applicant (outside of Canada) then your existing visas will become invalid and you will have to send the passport back to VO for cancellation of your visa (change in composition of family). Afterwards the process may vary, but usually VO will request for the medical of your new born and extension for your medical. The entire process may take anywhere from 2 to 9 months (my estimate only based on past cases) and sometimes even more.

My advice, if you have immediate family members in Ontario and you can afford to pay 10K to 15K CAD then land before delivery (provided you have a go ahead from your doctor for flying). Also there are certain other options for low cost deliveries like midwifes and all. You can search on this forum. Good luck.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Best of Luck to you shkhassan. Do remember to search the issue as there are plenty of resources available for landed PRs with pregnancy who are not covered under OHIP. I am reproducing one of the readily available links (do make sure to search the issue) Good Luck.
http://settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?FORUM_ID=7&TOPIC_ID=18210

shkhassan said:
I was not aware of the Visa cancellation information you have conveyed. Thank you for the reply.

Based of Facts I'll Land and face the problems. I'll skip buying a car and get my baby delivered.

Thanks once again

shkhassan

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
May2010applicant said:
Best of Luck to you shkhassan. Do remember to search the issue as there are plenty of resources available for landed PRs with pregnancy who are not covered under OHIP. I am reproducing one of the readily available links (do make sure to search the issue) Good Luck.
http://settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?FORUM_ID=7&TOPIC_ID=18210
Thank You for the link. This issue has so much confused me. I'll research it, if you or any1 has some advice on how to tackle this situation kindly let me know by PM or over here only.

scorpion30

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-06-2011
Doc's Request.
sent with application
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
30-09-2011
Med's Request
01-02-2012
Med's Done....
06-02-2012
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
SENT WITH MED
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2012
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
Hi

I went through similar situation like your....following is the process to add the new bor baby if born outside canada and before landing....

I am sharing my exp and process of ading New Born..if Child is born after receiving PRVs and before landing::

1. Please get Birth Crtificate and Passport arranged ASAP (very obvious and mandate docs )
2. Send your existing stamped PPs and COPRs to relevant VO.
3. Also attach IM0008, Visa Replacement Fees (17 CAD) for exisitng members for those who already have the VISAs Visa Fees for new born child (150 CAD)
4. Consulate would send Med request for new born and Cancelled (Cancelled without Prejudice) PPs back.
5. Once Meds are done. Send all the PPs, including new borns, back to VO
6. Entire process is quite lengthy. Atleast in my case it was, it took almost 6 months to get the VISAs reissued.

shkhassan

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
scorpion30 said:
Hi

I went through similar situation like your....following is the process to add the new bor baby if born outside canada and before landing....

I am sharing my exp and process of ading New Born..if Child is born after receiving PRVs and before landing::

1. Please get Birth Crtificate and Passport arranged ASAP (very obvious and mandate docs )
2. Send your existing stamped PPs and COPRs to relevant VO.
3. Also attach IM0008, Visa Replacement Fees (17 CAD) for exisitng members for those who already have the VISAs Visa Fees for new born child (150 CAD)
4. Consulate would send Med request for new born and Cancelled (Cancelled without Prejudice) PPs back.
5. Once Meds are done. Send all the PPs, including new borns, back to VO
6. Entire process is quite lengthy. Atleast in my case it was, it took almost 6 months to get the VISAs reissued.
Thank Scorpion . But if I receive my PPR-2 well in time , I'll leave for Canada and will want my baby to be a born citizen :) . Pray

shaddy

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
21-09-2010
AOR Received.
21-09-2010
IELTS Request
19-01-2012
Med's Request
22-06-2012
Med's Done....
03-07-2012
Passport Req..
05-02-2013
shkhassan said:
Thank Scorpion . But if I receive my PPR-2 well in time , I'll leave for Canada and will want my baby to be a born citizen :) . Pray
it shall be well,you may land in Toronto and moved your wife to Calgary for the delivery or land in Calgary .the reason for Calgary is that you are entitled to medical cover from the day of landing.please don't stress yourself too much.

Reactions: KarthikVV