+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does non resident tax return effect citizen application of my family?

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all, I need your help on requirements of any tax returns while filing for citizenship application. I have filed two non resident Canadian tax returns as I am not residing or earning any income in canada but my wife and children are living in canada for two years. I filed joint tax returns. When my family apply for their Canadian citizenship in future, would that be a problem?. Please advise. Are tax returns a requirement at all?.

poushi24

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
cheerup said:
Hi all, I need your help on requirements of any tax returns while filing for citizenship application. I have filed two non resident Canadian tax returns as I am not residing or earning any income in canada but my wife and children are living in canada for two years. I filed joint tax returns. When my family apply for their Canadian citizenship in future, would that be a problem?. Please advise. Are tax returns a requirement at all?.
Unless any changes in recently tax returns are not required to apply citizenship.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
cheerup said:
I curious how you got non-tax-resident status from CRA since your family lives in Canada. Usually that is considered very strong ties to Canada and you usually are considered a tax resident even if you live abroad.

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe it goes with where you live most of the year and income being generated out of the country.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
cheerup said:
I believe it goes with where you live most of the year and income being generated out of the country.
That is part of it. But a spouse in Canada is considered a significant residential tie in Canada:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html

Step 1: Determine if you have residential ties with Canada

The most important thing to consider when determining your residency status in Canada for income tax purposes is whether or not you maintain, or you establish, residential ties with Canada.

Significant residential ties to Canada include:

a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada; and
dependants in Canada;

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks.

I do have home in Canada. My children are going school there, i have leased car, investments etc but as a matter of fact, i am out of Canada most of the year and my income is also not Canadian Income. Does this cause any issue for my family when they apply for their own citizenship?. Thanks

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I don't think it should impact your family. Note though that your wife should be filing taxes on her own (even if she has no income of her own) given the new CIC requirements for citizenship application.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#tax

And you should check with a Canadian tax accountant about your tax obligations for Canada. I'm pretty sure you should have been filing taxes for the years you are were abroad given that you have significant residential ties to Canada (if does not matter if you are living and working abroad, the ties to Canada are still all there). Even if you don't plan on applying for citizenship anytime soon, it is best you become tax compliant with CRA

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Keesio. I am going to do just that. I appreciate your replies. Regards.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
cheerup said:
Thanks.

I do have home in Canada. My children are going school there, i have leased car, investments etc but as a matter of fact, i am out of Canada most of the year and my income is also not Canadian Income. Does this cause any issue for my family when they apply for their own citizenship?. Thanks
Given these ties, you are likely a resident for tax purposes and should be paying tax on your global income in Canada.

cheerup

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I checked back my records with Turbo Tax software that i used to file taxes and yes, i actually filed Resident Tax Return with Foreign Income. Thank God. I paid for CPP as well which is only possible if you are filing resident Tax return. I am so relieved. Thank you all.