+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my work experience qualify for CEC?

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
Hello fellow members. I am about to complete 12 months of work with my current employer. Assuming that my work experience meets the TEER criteria for EE-CEC and that I have worked for 30 hrs/week, I am now in a dilemma whether some of my work experience will be counted.

Here are the facts

1. I work for one company
2. The job is Teer 1
3. I have a valid status throughout [Open Work Permit]
4. My periods of employment is as follows
  • Nov 1, 2021 - June 24, 2022
  • June 25, 2022 - June 18, 2023 [Maternity Leave]
  • June 19, 2023 - Present
5. I am able to complete 12 months by Nov 1, 2023

6. DILEMMA : I obtained a Bachelors Degree [not from a Canadian Institution] and graduated Jan 22, 2022. I was already here in Canada when I completed my Bachelors. I was remotely studying. I am able to obtain a WES equivalency = 4yr degree. Now, will my work experience from Nov 1, 2021 until the day that I completed my Bachelors degree count as a CEC work experience?

Please help!

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Why wouldn’t it count? The fact you were studying remotely for a foreign degree has nothing to do with your Canadian experience. As long as you can prove it with your T4, employment letter and pay stubs you are good.

Reactions: Chasechs

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
hi @cz999 because the website [https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html] has this clause that makes me paranoid

Assessing work experience – Applications received on or after November 16, 2022

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (for example, work experience gained through co-op work permits) [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in the GCMS.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
hi @cz999 because the website [https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html] has this clause that makes me paranoid

Assessing work experience – Applications received on or after November 16, 2022

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (for example, work experience gained through co-op work permits) [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in the GCMS.
I went back to read this actual subsection and some other legal information. There are competing opinions about holding 2 temporary status at the same time (worker/student) and what would count as work experience. What I found is that there is an implicit understanding that the 'student status' clause refers to Canadian DLI enrolment. In your case, there is no competing status, you are a full time worker in Canada FULL STOP. So you should be fine declaring your foreign degree and the 12 months Canadian work experience.

Something to read: https://www.carvajal.ca/single-post/learning-moments-canadian-work-experience

Cycy4444

Jan 8, 2019
I went back to read this actual subsection and some other legal information. There are competing opinions about holding 2 temporary status at the same time (worker/student) and what would count as work experience. What I found is that there is an implicit understanding that the 'student status' clause refers to Canadian DLI enrolment. In your case, there is no competing status, you are a full time worker in Canada FULL STOP. So you should be fine declaring your foreign degree and the 12 months Canadian work experience.

Something to read: https://www.carvajal.ca/single-post/learning-moments-canadian-work-experience
@Chasechs thank you so much for taking the time to look into this! It does make a lot of sense to view my case in the perspective of a full time worker! I am truly grateful for your insight! Thank you!