+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does my post grad open work permit means I don’t have to work for same employer

Emi012

Jun 13, 2018
I actually have 2 questions:

1. I have a post grad open work permit but I read on the Canadian immigration site that you need to have worked 1 year full time with the same employer. Does that apply to me too or can I change my employer. And would my time keep counting towards the one year.

2. Since I have an open work permit, does that mean I cannot get points under the job offer category.

3. Since I need my or card immediately, can I do the police screening in advance too?

Thank you

Mesh2003

Sep 6, 2017
1.It mustn't be with the same employer but make sure you have 1560 hours of work or 52 weeks under NOC 0,A,B and provide reference from each employer
2. Yes you cant get points under job offer
3. You can do your police report now if you are about to apply and depending on your countries processing time

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I actually have 2 questions:

1. I have a post grad open work permit but I read on the Canadian immigration site that you need to have worked 1 year full time with the same employer. Does that apply to me too or can I change my employer. And would my time keep counting towards the one year.

You are either confusing the requirements for FSW, or for having a valid job offer in cases of LMIA-exempt closed work permits (not mandatory, but you get bonus points) with the minimum eligibility requirements for CEC (mandatory to be eligible for CEC). This requirement does not apply to the eligiblity requirements for CEC. You can change employers and if there is no time gap in employment, you can keep counting; or, if there is a time gap, you simply deduct the time gap from your work experience and keep counting.

2. Since I have an open work permit, does that mean I cannot get points under the job offer category.
You would need to have an LMIA-approved job offer to get the points.

3. Since I need my or card immediately, can I do the police screening in advance too?
You can get your police clearances now, in advance of applying. They cannot be more than 6 months old in your country of current residence; if you currently reside in Canada, no worries, you do not need a PCC for Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

But you should realize, no one gets their PR card "immediately." It takes months to process your application, and if you are approved, then you have to land, and wait a few more months for the PR card...