+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does msp get cancelled after 6 or 7 months outside Canada?

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Is it 6 or 7 months? There’s different info in different sites. I’m planning to stay 7 months outside Canada for vacation, how do I avoid my msp being cancelled? Do I need to call msp? And if cancelled , do I just reapply for it when am back and wait another 3 Months? Keep in mind I’ve been paying for my msp for almost a year now since I’ve landed as a new PR , but have never used it. Thanks all!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have been in Canada for 1 year and you leave for 7 months it's not really a vacation you're just returning to your home country temporarily. Because you've only been in Canada for a year you will likely be told the only option will be to wait up to 3 months when you return to restart MSP.

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
So how does it work. Do I get a new BC Health card and PHN when am back or is it the same ? And do I stop paying for the monthly premiums for the time being till Im back? And do I need to call msp to notify them or does all this happen automatically?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So how does it work. Do I get a new BC Health card and PHN when am back or is it the same ? And do I stop paying for the monthly premiums for the time being till Im back? And do I need to call msp to notify them or does all this happen automatically?
You need to call MSP and explain that you are going to be away for 7 months and they will freeze your account. When you enter BC after being in your home country you should call MSP and ask about restarting your MSP and how does the wait period work since you have been out of the country for 7 months (or whatever time period you are out of the country).

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Ok thanks. Does canceling/reactivating my msp have any effect on my citizenship application or PR renewal later on?