+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does it make any difference to visa officeers if someone apply to Private university in canada

Tarikul

Jul 16, 2018
I am currently doing acca and i have got my offer letter from Toronto School of Management.. i just want to know that if i go for a private university since tsom is a private will it make any difference on my visa approval chances??

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I am currently doing acca and i have got my offer letter from Toronto School of Management.. i just want to know that if i go for a private university since tsom is a private will it make any difference on my visa approval chances??
You may get a visa but you will not get PGWP. Visa approval for private colleges is lower than public, but it's not like it's impossible.

Tarikul

Jul 16, 2018
Thanks brother..nobody wants to miss the chance of getting pgwp and i am thinking to take a rain check on acca if i get the visa but since i am a running student of acca if i chose any other course right now i will have a 2-3 years study gap...

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks brother..nobody wants to miss the chance of getting pgwp and i am thinking to take a rain check on acca if i get the visa but since i am a running student of acca if i chose any other course right now i will have a 2-3 years study gap...
That is ultimately your decision to take. Cost of public and private colleges are the same, so you might as well apply for a good public college and get PGWP, just my opinion.

Tarikul

Jul 16, 2018
Will that be an issue if I switch to a public institute after the arrival.. I really appreciate your opinion.. i am thankful to you for you suggestion

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Will that be an issue if I switch to a public institute after the arrival.. I really appreciate your opinion.. i am thankful to you for you suggestion
There won't be an issue, you will need to have a valid offer letter from the public college if you want to change college. Also, you will lose any money that the college will not refund. The will take anywhere from 500 to 1600 CAD in processing fees.

BRS007

May 25, 2019
Hi Tarikul,

Did you go through with Toronto School of Management after all? I'm doing research myself. The only upside with this college is it's rather inexpensicve.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Tarikul,

Did you go through with Toronto School of Management after all? I'm doing research myself. The only upside with this college is it's rather inexpensicve.
Complete waste of money. Bad education. Low reputation. And you won't qualify for a Post Graduate Work Permit once you are done, so no ability to work in Canada under an open work permit after you finish your studies. If your aim is PR, this school gives you no path to that. Don't waste your money.

BRS007

May 25, 2019
Complete waste of money. Bad education. Low reputation. And you won't qualify for a Post Graduate Work Permit once you are done, so no ability to work in Canada under an open work permit after you finish your studies. If your aim is PR, this school gives you no path to that. Don't waste your money.
Thank you -
I realise it doesn't offer PGWP but Since, it's a low-budget college, you wouldn't have to show lots of money in your bank account. After landing, if you find it leads nowhere, you can always switch to a proper university, right? That way, you would have already got your study permit, you just need to inform IRCC. Second, since it doesn't offer PGWP, it is entirely possible to move to its affiliated Niagara College etc whose programs are eligible for PGWP. I understand it's weird and expensive pathway, but its possible. Your thoughts on these two points please? TIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you -
I realise it doesn't offer PGWP but Since, it's a low-budget college, you wouldn't have to show lots of money in your bank account. After landing, if you find it leads nowhere, you can always switch to a proper university, right? That way, you would have already got your study permit, you just need to inform IRCC. Second, since it doesn't offer PGWP, it is entirely possible to move to its affiliated Niagara College etc whose programs are eligible for PGWP. I understand it's weird and expensive pathway, but its possible. Your thoughts on these two points please? TIA
Your chances of getting a study permit approved are going to be much lower with a crappy private school. IRCC knows these are terrible schools and it creates more questions / concerns about why you are coming all the way to Canada to study at such a poor institution. It makes IRCC doubt your intentions for coming to Canada and whether you are a genuine student.

Yes, if the study permit is approved, you can come to Canada and later switch schools and program. However you CANNOT do this until AFTER you have completed at least one semester at the crappy low budget college. So basically you need to waste a semester and a bunch of money studying at the crappy school before you will be allowed to switch schools.

BRS007

May 25, 2019
Your chances of getting a study permit approved are going to be much lower with a crappy private school. IRCC knows these are terrible schools and it creates more questions / concerns about why you are coming all the way to Canada to study at such a poor institution. It makes IRCC doubt your intentions for coming to Canada and whether you are a genuine student.

Yes, if the study permit is approved, you can come to Canada and later switch schools and program. However you CANNOT do this until AFTER you have completed at least one semester at the crappy low budget college. So basically you need to waste a semester and a bunch of money studying at the crappy school before you will be allowed to switch schools.
Thank you for this. Unis are so expensive, and you need to have fat load of money in your account for them. And since I want to study Business every good uni wants GMAT plus high fee which could cost you an arm and leg. And my work routine is so hectic I don't get time to prepare for GMAT. But thanks alot. I suppose I'll try to find better uni/college that offers diplomas and are eligible for PGWP!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for this. Unis are so expensive, and you need to have fat load of money in your account for them. And since I want to study Business every good uni wants GMAT plus high fee which could cost you an arm and leg. And my work routine is so hectic I don't get time to prepare for GMAT. But thanks alot. I suppose I'll try to find better uni/college that offers diplomas and are eligible for PGWP!
Pick a public college. They generally aren't that much more expensive (or are the same price) as a private college. Stay far away from ALL private collges and universities. Good luck.

Reactions: canuck78

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
Pick a public college. They generally aren't that much more expensive (or are the same price) as a private college. Stay far away from ALL private collges and universities. Good luck.
Thanks a lot, @scylla for the information provided. I just wanted to know if one is having a huge study gap, can they opt for public college as well or they should restrict to public universities only.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot, @scylla for the information provided. I just wanted to know if one is having a huge study gap, can they opt for public college as well or they should restrict to public universities only.
If you have a gap, then it's even more important to pick a public college or university. Stay away from all private schools.

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
If you have a gap, then it's even more important to pick a public college or university. Stay away from all private schools.
Okay, thanks again @scylla, and how true is it that, if you have a study gap you should only apply to public universities and avoid public colleges.