+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does increase in Ontario general minimum wages affect Nannies?

Wayne361

Jan 17, 2010
As the title says...is there an impact or are wages superceded by contract agreed apon at hire?

Thanks again (Job_Seeker you have been a great help)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Wayne361 said:
As the title says...is there an impact or are wages superceded by contract agreed apon at hire?

Thanks again (Job_Seeker you have been a great help)
Hmm. I think by law, the minimum wage of the province should be given the employee. But i don't quite know how to go about it, whether a new contract should be drawn or the employer just pays the equivalent of the minimum wage rate. Why not call Service Canada and inquire how to go about reflecting the adjustment of the minimum wage on the employee's pay.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When the minimum wage goes up your wage must be raised if it is below the minimum wage, even if you have a contract that specifies a lower wage, if I've understood things correctly.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Karlshammar said:
When the minimum wage goes up your wage must be raised if it is below the minimum wage, even if you have a contract that specifies a lower wage, if I've understood things correctly.
You are right, if any contract or agreement contridct with the state law, state law always supersede or override any contract or agreement.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Province, not state. This is Canada, not the U.S.A. ;)

Either way, I reckon you are right, unless they made a specific exception to the law for contracts entered into before it takes effect (which I find unlikely).

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Karlshammar said:
Province, not state. This is Canada, not the U.S.A. ;)

Either way, I reckon you are right, unless they made a specific exception to the law for contracts entered into before it takes effect (which I find unlikely).
I know, here I meant state as a "government". : )