+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does implied status void your current work permit?

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Background timeline:

Graduated - 25 May 2018 (letter issued)
Applied for PGWP - 26 May 2018
Submitting profile for EE CEC - 26 May 2019
PGWP expires - 14 July 2019

I received a confirmation of nomination from Ontario under a non-EE stream. My current 1-year PGWP expires in July 2019. I'm using my nomination to apply for a closed work permit. At the same time, I will be applying for PR under the CEC stream when on the 26th of May 2019.

Since I'm applying under the assumption that the one year of Canadian work experience begins on the day I applied for my PGWP, I don't want to jeopardize the "actual" one year that will be the 14th of July 2019.

If I apply for a closed work permit before this date, will I still be able to claim one year of Canadian work experience as of 14 July 2019?

If not, what are your recommendations?

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Background timeline:

I received a confirmation of nomination from Ontario under a non-EE stream. My current 1-year PGWP expires in July 2019. I'm using my nomination to apply for a closed work permit. At the same time, I will be applying for PR under the CEC stream when on the 26th of May 2019.

Since I'm applying under the assumption that the one year of Canadian work experience begins on the day I applied for my PGWP, I don't want to jeopardize the "actual" one year that will be the 14th of July 2019.

If I apply for a closed work permit before this date, will I still be able to claim one year of Canadian work experience as of 14 July 2019?

If not, what are your recommendations?
Implied status will not expire your current work permit. You can work as - is on PGWP till you receive the decision.

Good Luck

Reactions: shannonxtreme

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Since I'm applying under the assumption that the one year of Canadian work experience begins on the day I applied for my PGWP,
assuming that you also started working on the same day...?

I don't want to jeopardize the "actual" one year that will be the 14th of July 2019.
I have no idea what that means...

OK, help me out here. For some reason, you think that applying for a new work permit will invalidate your work experience? That's a new one, rest assured that that is not an issue. The only thing that invalidates your work experience is working without authorization (e.g. no work permit).

The only significance to the date 14 July 2019 is that your PGWP expires then. If you want to continue working, you will need to apply for a new work permit before that date. That is the only significance.

So you received an OINP nomination (non EE) for the sole purpose of getting a new work permit? That's an expensive work permit... Of course I don't know your CRS score, but if you receive an ITA and submit your eAPR before your PGWP expires, you would have been eligible for a BOWP...

Reactions: shannonxtreme

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Hi Jes. Thanks for the reply! My post was a little confusing. My apologies!

1. I was already working for the company under a co-op work permit, continued to do so after graduation. So yes, I was working there the day my PGWP application was submitted.

2. By "actual" one year I mean one year from PGWP issue date to PGWP expiry date, without implied status involved in the calculation.

3. I was worried that applying for a closed work permit would void my PGWP before its expiry date. So for example:

If my PGWP expires in July 2019 and I apply for a closed work permit in May 2019, would those last three months (May to July) be excluded from the "one year of experience" calculation, considering the new work permit was a closed permit?

Hope that cleared it up!

----------------

And yes, I originally applied for the provincial nomination because I thought I had no other option in the short frame of time I had left, considering my PGWP was only one year so I had no qualifying amount of Canadian experience for EE. Later I was advised that I could apply for EE counting work experience from the date I APPLIED for a PGWP, not from when it was APPROVED. 1500 bucks down the drain :( Now I am applying for the closed WP just in case I don't get AOR before July...since I have the nomination I may as well use it as a failsafe, right?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
2. By "actual" one year I mean one year from PGWP issue date to PGWP expiry date, without implied status involved in the calculation.

Your definition of "actual" does not correspond with IRCCs, so I would just forget about that. :)

3. I was worried that applying for a closed work permit would void my PGWP before its expiry date.
So for example:

If my PGWP expires in July 2019 and I apply for a closed work permit in May 2019, would those last three months (May to July) be excluded from the "one year of experience" calculation, considering the new work permit was a closed permit?

Again, I have no idea why you would be worried about this. There is no requirement that work experience be gained on a PGWP, or any other open work permit. Closed work permits are still valid and many people ONLY have experience on closed work permits. The only requirement is that the experience is AUTHORIZED, regardless of whether you even have a work permit (which is why implied status counts).

You can make up all the rules you want, but you only have to follow the ones specified by IRCC. Isn't that hard enough?

----------------

And yes, I originally applied for the provincial nomination because I thought I had no other option in the short frame of time I had left, considering my PGWP was only one year so I had no qualifying amount of Canadian experience for EE. Later I was advised that I could apply for EE counting work experience from the date I APPLIED for a PGWP, not from when it was APPROVED. 1500 bucks down the drain :( Now I am applying for the closed WP just in case I don't get AOR before July...since I have the nomination I may as well use it as a failsafe, right?

Well, keep in mind if you apply for the closed work permit, you will not be eligible for the BOWP (until the new closed work permit is near expiry). So if being restricted to one employer is at all a concern, you may want to wait and see how your application goes.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020

Your definition of "actual" does not correspond with IRCCs, so I would just forget about that. :)

Thank you.

3. I was worried that applying for a closed work permit would void my PGWP before its expiry date.
So for example:

Again, I have no idea why you would be worried about this. There is no requirement that work experience be gained on a PGWP, or any other open work permit. Closed work permits are still valid and many people ONLY have experience on closed work permits. The only requirement is that the experience is AUTHORIZED, regardless of whether you even have a work permit (which is why implied status counts).

Because for work experience on a closed work permit (LMIA-exempt) to be valid, I need to have worked for the employer on the work permit for one year or more. I'm no longer worried about this, though, considering point 1 was answered!

You can make up all the rules you want, but you only have to follow the ones specified by IRCC. Isn't that hard enough?

I KNOW :'( I tend to overthink things. Need to breathe and take it easy.

----------------

Well, keep in mind if you apply for the closed work permit, you will not be eligible for the BOWP (until the new closed work permit is near expiry). So if being restricted to one employer is at all a concern, you may want to wait and see how your application goes.

Actually didn't know that. Might be a good incentive to hold off applying for the closed WP until closer to my PGWP expiry date then.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Because for work experience on a closed work permit (LMIA-exempt) to be valid, I need to have worked for the employer on the work permit for one year or more.
Um, what? This appears to be a random recombination of eligibility requirements and rules about valid job offers : ) Mixing apples and oranges, just not true.

BTW if you are on a PGWP and you do not have an LMIA, you cannot claim to have a valid job offer. You did not mention it, I'm just concerned since it appears you you've been reading about "valid job offers."

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Um, what? This appears to be a random recombination of eligibility requirements and rules about valid job offers : ) Mixing apples and oranges, just not true.

BTW if you are on a PGWP and you do not have an LMIA, you cannot claim to have a valid job offer. You did not mention it, I'm just concerned since it appears you you've been reading about "valid job offers."
I feel like in all the stress-fueled research I did, I must have started mixing up requirements for various streams. I'm sorry. Thank you for the information you've given me!

Reactions: jes_ON