+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does full time work experience count before graduation for FSW express entry ?

skenny

Jul 3, 2018
I have been working at my current employer for 5 years of which 3 years was before graduation. To be eligible for express entry I need 2 years of work experience. Mentioning 5 years improves my profile or is it grounds for rejection ? There is a varied opinion on acquiring points for work experience before graduation , Some say it is not allowed . It is not an apprenticeship which was a part of my course work , rather I had taken time off studies to work.

Reactions: Shahnavazkhan

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
I have been working at my current employer for 5 years of which 3 years was before graduation. To be eligible for express entry I need 2 years of work experience. Mentioning 5 years improves my profile or is it grounds for rejection ? There is a varied opinion on acquiring points for work experience before graduation , Some say it is not allowed . It is not an apprenticeship which was a part of my course work , rather I had taken time off studies to work.

Yeah it counts. You can show 5 yrs of work experience and get maximum points.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
If your education was part time, you can claim 5 years points.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Education was full time. I was working part time while enrolled as well as full time in those years in which I had taken a break
You will have to provide reference letters for part time only since you education was full time.

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
if you are an outland applicant then points will be same for both 3 years and 5 years experience. Check the CRS tool for that calculation. For inland application you can not claim work experience if you are on study permit.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
if you are an outland applicant then points will be same for both 3 years and 5 years experience. Check the CRS tool for that calculation. For inland application you can not claim work experience if you are on study permit.
Incorrect, if an applicant is disclosing 5 years of experience in FSW check, then he will have to provide 5 years of experience proof.

Reactions: mohafahas

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
Incorrect, if an applicant is disclosing 5 years of experience in FSW check, then he will have to provide 5 years of experience proof.
what i am saying is 3year vs 5year outland will give you same points. the poster can simply omit 2years experience which the poster is confused about. he can add that experience in the person history section.

mohafahas

Oct 22, 2018

Hello Mr.Preetsingh,

I see you are online, could you please answer my questions?
I would greatly appreciate your answers.

I have over 6 years and 4 months of experience in NOC B category-2282 User support technician, in three companies.

Please understand that the work experience I have is same NOC B code which is NOC B category-2282 User support technician.

The first company I joined was in June'2010 and I left it in Sep'2011.--15 months.
The second company I joined was in Aug'2013 and left it in Jan'2016.--28 months
The Third company I joined was the very next day when I left the second company, in Jan'2016 and am still employed there for the past 34 months.

As you can probably sense by now that there is a gap in my work experience from first company to the second one.

This is because I needed to complete my graduation which was of 4 years. I studied my graduation from July'2009 to Nov'2013

As soon as I wrote my exams for my bachelors I went for an Interview at a very well known multinational and worked there, which is the second company.

My graduation was a regular course meaning it was full time, however, my college had no objection towards someone who wished to work and study at the same time. Which I did, I did full time work from my first job during my full time graduation, but due to my low scoring grades I felt that it was extremely important for me to get back to studies, so I left my first company and worked towards getting the right grades and got them.

My first question is, will I be asked for any documentation for the gap in my work experience from the first company to the second one?
I had also created an express entry profile in june2017, which exprired in june 2018 and in that profile for the question under work history> then under occupation, I answered the question for "Primary occupation" as June'2010. but before I make this selection this question it asked.

""

Any other Job, this is the date they first obtained minimum education or training stated in the NOC description.(Note: If the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)

""

Under this NOC these are the details listed:

""

Employment requirements

Completion of a college program in computer science, computer programming or network administration is usually required.
College or other courses in computer programming or network administration are usually required.
Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.

Additional information

Progression to computer programming, interactive media development, Web development or systems analysis is possible with experience.

""

You see how it says college program and computer science.

I do not have a direct degree of computer science, however, if given the oppurtunity to explain, I do have a lot of subjects related to computer science in my electronics and communication engineering.

Will I be questioned about my experience not related to my college work?
Infact I started my work before I got my degree, Do you beleieve it would be better that in the new express entry profile I put my primary occupation as I obtained my minimum education for my job and skip the whole first job experience completely? I won't have a problem about the work experience points as even if we remove my first job, I will still have 3 years of experience. I will not hide my first job completely, I will put it in my personal history section after the ITA. Will that raise questions?

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
what i am saying is 3year vs 5year outland will give you same points. the poster can simply omit 2years experience which the poster is confused about. he can add that experience in the person history section.
There are two phases of FSWP.
FSW
CRS

under FSW one should get 67 points
under CRS one should get enough points over invitation of rounds

FSW has maximum 6+ years of experience tab
CRS has maximum 3+ years of experience tab

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hello Mr.Preetsingh,

I see you are online, could you please answer my questions?
I would greatly appreciate your answers.

I have over 6 years and 4 months of experience in NOC B category-2282 User support technician, in three companies.

Please understand that the work experience I have is same NOC B code which is NOC B category-2282 User support technician.

The first company I joined was in June'2010 and I left it in Sep'2011.--15 months.
The second company I joined was in Aug'2013 and left it in Jan'2016.--28 months
The Third company I joined was the very next day when I left the second company, in Jan'2016 and am still employed there for the past 34 months.

As you can probably sense by now that there is a gap in my work experience from first company to the second one.

This is because I needed to complete my graduation which was of 4 years. I studied my graduation from July'2009 to Nov'2013

As soon as I wrote my exams for my bachelors I went for an Interview at a very well known multinational and worked there, which is the second company.

My graduation was a regular course meaning it was full time, however, my college had no objection towards someone who wished to work and study at the same time. Which I did, I did full time work from my first job during my full time graduation, but due to my low scoring grades I felt that it was extremely important for me to get back to studies, so I left my first company and worked towards getting the right grades and got them.

My first question is, will I be asked for any documentation for the gap in my work experience from the first company to the second one?
I had also created an express entry profile in june2017, which exprired in june 2018 and in that profile for the question under work history> then under occupation, I answered the question for "Primary occupation" as June'2010. but before I make this selection this question it asked.

""

Any other Job, this is the date they first obtained minimum education or training stated in the NOC description.(Note: If the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)

""

Under this NOC these are the details listed:

""

Employment requirements

Completion of a college program in computer science, computer programming or network administration is usually required.
College or other courses in computer programming or network administration are usually required.
Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.

Additional information

Progression to computer programming, interactive media development, Web development or systems analysis is possible with experience.

""

You see how it says college program and computer science.

I do not have a direct degree of computer science, however, if given the oppurtunity to explain, I do have a lot of subjects related to computer science in my electronics and communication engineering.

Will I be questioned about my experience not related to my college work?
Infact I started my work before I got my degree, Do you beleieve it would be better that in the new express entry profile I put my primary occupation as I obtained my minimum education for my job and skip the whole first job experience completely? I won't have a problem about the work experience points as even if we remove my first job, I will still have 3 years of experience. I will not hide my first job completely, I will put it in my personal history section after the ITA. Will that raise questions?
There is no problem with the gap between two jobs, you can mention either studying or un-employed. In your case, I would advice to remove your first work experience. Because you have enough experience from Job B and C. In this way, you can mention your education as full time as well.
This is not misinterpretation.

Your education is goof for this NOC.

mohafahas

Oct 22, 2018
There is no problem with the gap between two jobs, you can mention either studying or un-employed. In your case, I would advice to remove your first work experience. Because you have enough experience from Job B and C. In this way, you can mention your education as full time as well.
This is not misinterpretation.

Your education is goof for this NOC.
Thank you for your valuable reply.

In the section of work history, I have already made a change and removed my first profession as it comes before my graduation, firstly, because it does not give me any points as I have will already have three years of experience and secondly, because it comes before my graduation and If possible I do not want for the immigration officer to think that my profession and work experience was not related, where in it was partially related. Your words that my education goes well, then that gives me immense confidence.

My engineering degree which was to arrive in August'2013 arrived a little later in November'2013 as I had to re-write a couple of backlogs I had. I wrote them and passed in a supplementary exam conducted by the university.

As I got my degree in November'2013 and joined my second company in August'2013, I was trained again in computer hardware and software by well educated trainers, unfortunately I was not given a training certification, I was trained well close up till Nov'13.

My question is about that selection for occupation date in the express entry profile:

In this question it is asking me

Date I (My name) first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed trades person.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)
My occupation is not a qualified trade, so here only the second point applies for me.

I have selected a date of August'2013 because this is when I started my second job.

Should I select my second option which is November'2013? because this way I would be qualified by getting that degree and also by that training, which was given to me by second employer.

My final question is,

for the same question above, I had selected the date to be June'2010 in an expired express entry profile, due to my ignorance at that time of creating the profile, which expired in June'2018. I had also mentioned my first job there with the NOC B 2282, but I did not get an invite on my profile there as I had less CRS points back then due to my average scores in IELTS. I did get an invite for Ontario, I did not go with it, because of reasons such as I was informed that if I go to Ontario, I won't be able to work outside Ontario for 2 years. I wanted to get more opportunities for my work, so I did not choose to go with it. I did some analysis in my professions offering there in Ontario, through online job portals and I learned that half of the jobs in my line of work in Canada come for Ontario Province and half of it from other provinces. Besides that reason, I was fairly confident that I will be able to score better in IELTS in my next exams, which proved right.

so my question is ,will my previous expired express entry profile be checked and compared with my new one?

Eagerly awaiting your reply, thank you.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Thank you for your valuable reply.

In the section of work history, I have already made a change and removed my first profession as it comes before my graduation, firstly, because it does not give me any points as I have will already have three years of experience and secondly, because it comes before my graduation and If possible I do not want for the immigration officer to think that my profession and work experience was not related, where in it was partially related. Your words that my education goes well, then that gives me immense confidence.

My engineering degree which was to arrive in August'2013 arrived a little later in November'2013 as I had to re-write a couple of backlogs I had. I wrote them and passed in a supplementary exam conducted by the university.

As I got my degree in November'2013 and joined my second company in August'2013, I was trained again in computer hardware and software by well educated trainers, unfortunately I was not given a training certification, I was trained well close up till Nov'13.

My question is about that selection for occupation date in the express entry profile:

In this question it is asking me

Date I (My name) first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed trades person.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)
My occupation is not a qualified trade, so here only the second point applies for me.

I have selected a date of August'2013 because this is when I started my second job.

Should I select my second option which is November'2013? because this way I would be qualified by getting that degree and also by that training, which was given to me by second employer.

My final question is,

for the same question above, I had selected the date to be June'2010 in an expired express entry profile, due to my ignorance at that time of creating the profile, which expired in June'2018. I had also mentioned my first job there with the NOC B 2282, but I did not get an invite on my profile there as I had less CRS points back then due to my average scores in IELTS. I did get an invite for Ontario, I did not go with it, because of reasons such as I was informed that if I go to Ontario, I won't be able to work outside Ontario for 2 years. I wanted to get more opportunities for my work, so I did not choose to go with it. I did some analysis in my professions offering there in Ontario, through online job portals and I learned that half of the jobs in my line of work in Canada come for Ontario Province and half of it from other provinces. Besides that reason, I was fairly confident that I will be able to score better in IELTS in my next exams, which proved right.

so my question is ,will my previous expired express entry profile be checked and compared with my new one?

Eagerly awaiting your reply, thank you.
Questions should be short.

your previous profile will not be compared with new one.
Consider yourself lucky that you have enough CRS for an ITA after declining OINP NOI

Ontario is the only region full of IT jobs.

If i missed any question, post it again but should be short.

Reactions: mohafahas

mohafahas

Oct 22, 2018
Questions should be short.

your previous profile will not be compared with new one.
Consider yourself lucky that you have enough CRS for an ITA after declining OINP NOI

Ontario is the only region full of IT jobs.

If i missed any question, post it again but should be short.
Sorry for that essay question and thank you for your response.

I was suppose to finish my graduation on May'2013 but due to backlog I has to finish in a supplementary exam which was November'2013, my degree and my consolidated marks memo also states that I finished the degree in November'2013.

I have excluded my first job from the work history due to the fact that, it was done during my graduation,moreover, I am not gaining any points from it. I decided to put that in my work history. I joined my first company when I was about to write my exams in August'2013.

Under this question :

"
any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)
"

What should I select the date to be? should I choose August'2013 which is the date I joined the company or should I choose a date which is three months later than that it, which is November'2013 because this is the date I graduated.

I am grateful for your communications. I would request for an early reply, so that I can make changes to the express entry before the next draw, which I feel is near.