+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does CIC can request police check in Canada If I stay as visitor?

evrdwtin

Mar 23, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2016
Doc's Request.
06-02-2017
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
File Transfer...
22-11-2016
Med's Done....
05-08-2016
Hi, I'm in middle of family sponsorship process.
Now I'm staying in Canada with my spouse as visitor while waiting process is done.
I remember that CIC needs record check from every countries
So if i stay in Canada as a visitor more than 6 months, is there any possibility of Canadian police check requiry?
I'm bit confused and don't want to delay my process because of any further document request..
Thanks

IvoryX

Dec 1, 2016
If you spousal application is under the new rules, here is the answer my colleagues got from IRCC recently regarding the same question.

"Police Certificates are required for the principal applicant and all accompanying family members who are 18 or older, and must be provided for each country or territory (except Canada) in which applicants have spent a total of six months or more since the age of 18. The total amount of time spent in the country or territory does not have to be consecutive (in a row)."

Under the new rules, you don't submit the police check until you get a request from IRCC. But you may want to prepare for it/them as it may take time to get it/them depending on the countries you have live for 6+ months.

Hope this helps.
Ivory

evrdwtin

Mar 23, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2016
Doc's Request.
06-02-2017
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
File Transfer...
22-11-2016
Med's Done....
05-08-2016
IvoryX said:
If you spousal application is under the new rules, here is the answer my colleagues got from IRCC recently regarding the same question.

"Police Certificates are required for the principal applicant and all accompanying family members who are 18 or older, and must be provided for each country or territory (except Canada) in which applicants have spent a total of six months or more since the age of 18. The total amount of time spent in the country or territory does not have to be consecutive (in a row)."

Under the new rules, you don't submit the police check until you get a request from IRCC. But you may want to prepare for it/them as it may take time to get it/them depending on the countries you have live for 6+ months.

Hope this helps.
Ivory
Thanks! I submitted my application at the end of october, 2016. Hope won't get any more requests..

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
IvoryX said:

Hope this helps.
Ivory
so, to clarify, we do NOT require a police check from canada? we are planning on extending my husbands visitor visa and that will put him here for more than 6 months...

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
starnaenae said:
so, to clarify, we do NOT require a police check from canada? we are planning on extending my husbands visitor visa and that will put him here for more than 6 months...
If CIC require a Canadian police check, they will explicitly request it from you. You should not include one unless they ask for it.

They will normally only ask for one if their checks with RCMP match your husband's name to a Canadian criminal's name, and they need to distinguish if it's the same person or not,

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Bcboundboy said:
If CIC require a Canadian police check, they will explicitly request it from you. You should not include one unless they ask for it.

They will normally only ask for one if their checks with RCMP match your husband's name to a Canadian criminal's name, and they need to distinguish if it's the same person or not,
wicked response!!! much appreciated!