+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Canadian work experience outside Canada count?

Nemile

Jan 25, 2015
Hello guys,
I've been trying to get a satisfactory response to this question for a while now.

I work in a multinational organization that has a subsidiary listed in Canada. As part of my job, I and my team have designed, implemented and regularly tested internal controls for this subsidiary in line with the Canadian SOX (NI 52-109). We have also received trainings on this and have effectively managed the internal control system of this subsidiary without ever being to Canada.

I could easy get a reference letter from the HR unit of this subsidiary to demonstrate my work experience with them.

Does this qualify to gain points under the Canadian work experience bit of my express entry profile since I haven't actually been in Canada?

journey21

Dec 25, 2014
No. You have to have Canadian experience to qualify for Canadian work experience.
ie be in Canada physically.

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately not in your situation.

The company you worked for would have to be domiciled in Canada, and initially you would have had to go through all the requisite channels, ie. recruitment etc within Canada for it to be considered 'Canadian Experience'...had you done that and then got posted out to another country well that's an interesting situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pziegler1986 said:
Unfortunately not in your situation.

The company you worked for would have to be domiciled in Canada, and initially you would have had to go through all the requisite channels, ie. recruitment etc within Canada for it to be considered 'Canadian Experience'...had you done that and then got posted out to another country well that's an interesting situation.
It would still be extremely straight forward. Only work experience gained while physically working in Canada is classified as Canadian work experience. Work outside of Canada (regardless of how you got there or who hired you) is not Canadian work experience for the purposes of immigration.