+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Canadian education degree work as proof of language requirement?

enjoy2020

Sep 27, 2020
I did a 2 years master's degree from a top Canadian School. I only have IELTS academic, which I believe doesn't work as language proof.
My question is that Is showing my Canadian master's degree enough as proof of language requirement since the school teaches only in English. However, the degree doesn't say that it was taught in the English language.
Or do I need something else from the school?

Thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I did a 2 years master's degree from a top Canadian School. I only have IELTS academic, which I believe doesn't work as language proof.
My question is that Is showing my Canadian master's degree enough as proof of language requirement since the school teaches only in English. However, the degree doesn't say that it was taught in the English language.

Thanks!
Yes, you can submit this as proof of language.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

Did you or do you attend a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French?
The program can be in or outside Canada.

If you did, send a copy of proof that you completed or are attending a program with your application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be in English or French. If it’s in another language, you must also send a certified English or French translation. The translation should show that the language of instruction of the program was English or French
If your degree was from Canada, if IRCC wanted to verify, it would be easier for them. I think most degrees that were in English or French from a school in Canada should be accepted without any issues.

Reactions: enjoy2020

enjoy2020

Sep 27, 2020
Yes, you can submit this as proof of language.

If your degree was from Canada, if IRCC wanted to verify, it would be easier for them. I think most degrees that were in English or French from a school in Canada should be accepted without any issues.
Thanks for your response @rajkamalmohanram. True, that makes sense! Do you suggest sending out anything else along with the degree, like transcripts of the said degree or of the other post-secondary education from my home country?
Thanks!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

Thanks!
Yes. Send an official transcript. That should suffice

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I am applying online, can I upload unofficial transcript or should i still mail out an official one.
They ask for photocopies. But if you can scan certified copies or originals why not. I would do that. You can also submit your certificate instead. My application was paper-based and I submitted my official sealed transcript.

PS: Always always refer to the instructions guide. It's your official reference. There is a very good chance all of this information is there.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
This is what the instruction guide says

If you are 18 to 54 years old:
  • Photocopies of your proof of English or French language ability.
    Examples of the types of language evidence that can be submitted include:
    • results of a third-party language test
    • diploma, certificate or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program in Canada or abroad, where the language of study was English or French
    • proof that you have reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 or higher through a government-funded language training programs
You can submit photocopies. If you want to submit scanned copies of originals or certified copies that's fine too. You don't need to notarize transcripts by a third party. The university makes certified copies. If it's too much work to get originals or certified copies, submit photocopies now, but prepare the originals and/or certified copies if they ask for them later.

enjoy2020

Sep 27, 2020
This is what the instruction guide says

You can submit photocopies. If you want to submit scanned copies of originals or certified copies that's fine too. You don't need to notarize transcripts by a third party. The university makes certified copies. If it's too much work to get originals or certified copies, submit photocopies now, but prepare the originals and/or certified copies if they ask for them later.
Sure, that sounds like a plan! Thanks.