+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Apprenticeship Count as work

F1SHA

Dec 5, 2014
Hello,

I'm from Australia and I did my English test in June and passed with flying colours. I have worked in Canada (BC) for 5 years, however I was an electrical apprentice for most of it and just received my journeyman ticket in January 2015.

After I got my English test results back I tried to start a profile online for the express entry visa because I thought I met the requirements but it says that I'm not eligible to apply. This seems strange, but I'm thinking it might be because I only have 6 months working as a journeyman and all my other experience is being an apprentice....does anyone know if this is true, or should I try to call them to sort out why I'm not eligible?

Thanks,
F1SHA

wifedoctor

Apr 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
02-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
Unfortunately apprenticeships and unpaid internships do not count.

And you need a minimum of 1 year work experience to qualify.. Do you have any foreign work experience?

F1SHA

Dec 5, 2014
Thanks for your reply. No, I do not have any foreign work experience as an electrician. When I lived in Australia the only work experience I have is in hospitality. I started my career/apprenticeship as an electrician when I moved to Canada with my Canadian girlfriend in 2010.

Thanks,
Julie

zaki100

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
HI FISHA
Did you join your trade through a diploma program? or did u go for the 2moths school and 8-10moths work.

i think for people with a diploma and a post-grad work permit, all their hours are counted

((Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?

No. Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program.

The work experience you can use to apply for the Canadian Experience Class must not have been gained while studying full time on a student permit (for example, experience gained while on a co-op work term)).

the above quote is from CIC website
apprenticeship completed before graduation are not counted, but those after should be, at least that's my understanding.
i am also a journeyman but i only could get my ticket after working for 3yrs

josematt18

Feb 14, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
04-10-2018
Med's Done....
02-11-2018
Passport Req..
19-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
04-07-2019
LANDED..........
25-07-2019
I had undergone an apprenticeship program in India, which was paid, full time and after completion of my bachelor's degree. Will it count as work experience?

Spina

Aug 12, 2018
I too have 1 year of paid apprenticeship from a renowned organisation.
Do let me know if something has worked for you.

josematt18

Feb 14, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
04-10-2018
Med's Done....
02-11-2018
Passport Req..
19-06-2019
VISA ISSUED...
04-07-2019
LANDED..........
25-07-2019
I too have 1 year of paid apprenticeship from a renowned organisation.
Do let me know if something has worked for you.
If you worked full time, at least 30 hours a week and got paid, you can claim the work experience. The only condition is the apprenticeship should not be part of your education. For example, ITI people require to complete the apprenticeship to finish their education and get certificate

parshid

Sep 15, 2020
If you worked full time, at least 30 hours a week and got paid, you can claim the work experience. The only condition is the apprenticeship should not be part of your education. For example, ITI people require to complete the apprenticeship to finish their education and get certificate
Hey josematt18,

I have similar work experience in India at an Automotive OEM.
It was for a period of 12 months, full time and paid - the only caveat being it was called "Graduate Engineer Apprenticeship"
Also, my work experience certificate is titled "Training Certificate".
How should I go about this one?

Thanks in advance

Suraj johney

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, What was the outcome of your case? Did they accept it? Do they count graduate engineer apprentice in india, which was not part of a program,paid,full time with duties in b level still counted?

Sarunppillai

May 31, 2020
Hey josematt18,

I have similar work experience in India at an Automotive OEM.
It was for a period of 12 months, full time and paid - the only caveat being it was called "Graduate Engineer Apprenticeship"
Also, my work experience certificate is titled "Training Certificate".
How should I go about this one?

Thanks in advance
I have a similar profile i have done 1 year apprenticeship in a government of India company. It was after my btech degree and it was paid ( full time). Will it count in any noc level ?

Sarunppillai

May 31, 2020
Anyone please tell whether act apprenticeship is counted for canada pr? It was paid, continuous and after completion of my btech degree.

Suraj johney

Oct 28, 2017
As per the above update, it can be counted if it's paid, matches with an NOC, was full time. Might need to get new certificates stating that you are full time, though.