+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does anyone know if I can apply for an open work permit as a student?

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
I am a PR applicant of EE on a Study Permit hoping to extend my stay after graduation, can I apply for an open work permit instead of the Post-graduate work permit?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I am a PR applicant of EE on a Study Permit hoping to extend my stay after graduation, can I apply for an open work permit instead of the Post-graduate work permit?
a PGWP is an Open work permit.

The purpose of a PGWP is to extend your stay in Canada and allow you to earn Canadian work experience

Reactions: Wrath and scylla

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
a PGWP is an Open work permit.

The purpose of a PGWP is to extend your stay in Canada and allow you to earn Canadian work experience
Hi Thank you for your reply. I am wondering about this because the system gives me two options, open work permit, and post-graduate work permit. The application process shows that the open work permit option lets me skip uploading my degree completion letter and the final transcript. I doubt if I can apply under this option. Thank you in advance for any further clarification.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Thank you for your reply. I am wondering about this because the system gives me two options, open work permit, and post-graduate work permit. The application process shows that the open work permit option lets me skip uploading my degree completion letter and the final transcript. I doubt if I can apply under this option. Thank you in advance for any further clarification.
You don't qualify for an open work permit. You have to apply for a PGWP.

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
The system doesn't know you or know anything about your background.
I answered a set of questions and the system should know about my background and based on that it recommends to me options. I am actually thinking that in my case, the system may make me qualify for an open work permit under the humanitarian situation when a student may qualify for an open work permit as a destitute student or some sort, but it may require tons of supporting documents to explain why I qualify under this situation

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I answered a set of questions and the system should know about my background and based on that it recommends to me options. I am actually thinking that in my case, the system may make me qualify for an open work permit under the humanitarian situation when a student may qualify for an open work permit as a destitute student or some sort, but it may require tons of supporting documents to explain why I qualify under this situation
Why are you even applying for a work permit if you completed your landing?

"AOR June 3rd Medical Pass July 15th
Ghost Update Feb 15th Feb 20th Landing interview email Feb 21st
Landing interview Mar 19th <------ ????????
EE Stream FSW-inland Processing VO Montreal CRS 473"

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
Why are you even applying for a work permit if you completed your landing?

"AOR June 3rd Medical Pass July 15th
Ghost Update Feb 15th Feb 20th Landing interview email Feb 21st
Landing interview Mar 19th <------ ????????
EE Stream FSW-inland Processing VO Montreal CRS 473"
It is because all landing appointments that were originally scheduled after Mar 15th now have been postponed until further notice. Inland applicants can't either get their COPR or go to the border to make the landing. They have to maintain their legal status to stay in Canada during this waiting period otherwise they can be removed from the country or their PR application can be jeopardized. So close and too unfortunate!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
It is because all landing appointments that were originally scheduled after Mar 15th now have been postponed until further notice. Inland applicants can't either get their COPR or go to the border to make the landing. They have to maintain their legal status to stay in Canada during this waiting period otherwise they can be removed from the country or their PR application can be jeopardized. So close and too unfortunate!
I know they are conducting landing interviews over the phone... have you gotten in touch with your local visa office? If not, I strongly recommend so because I think they should be able to provide you with an alternative.

When are you completing your degree?

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
I know they are conducting landing interviews over the phone... have you gotten in touch with your local visa office? If not, I strongly recommend so because I think they should be able to provide you with an alternative.

When are you completing your degree?
I wonder if they are really conducting phone interviews. They said giving phone interviews for quite a while and nobody to my knowledge has received one. I don't know how to contact my local visa office. Phone agents would say I had to wait (I heard today they reopened the call center) and web forms only copy and paste old templates.
My degree completion letter says January 27th. So far it has not been 90 days but will be in several days. I already applied for work permit and if I hear any news in the very near future I will withdraw my application.

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
After you have done telephoning and web forms inquiries etc, I would like to suggest that - applying for WP extension within time limit and maintaining status is surely safe option. I have heard that if PR gets finalized while WP extension is still in process, they return the candidates WP extension money.

JanieLiu

Aug 1, 2019
After you have done telephoning and web forms inquiries etc, I would like to suggest that - applying for WP extension within time limit and maintaining status is surely safe option. I have heard that if PR gets finalized while WP extension is still in process, they return the candidates WP extension money.
Thank you for the reassurance.
One problem is I was once told to have the landing interview, but have not received COPR. Applicants who have gone through the passport request and received COPR and their passport back, now can skip landing. For applicants like me, I am not sure we will skip landing as well, since we do not have any official documents at hand.

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
One problem is I was once told to have the landing interview, but have not received COPR. Applicants who have gone through the passport request and received COPR and their passport back, now can skip landing. For applicants like me, I am not sure we will skip landing as well, since we do not have any official documents at hand.
On several occasions I have read Inland applicants passport is not requested, but they are directly called for interview. In the past few days I have heard that IRCC has begun this #contactless #copr_activation in which applicants whose landing interview were cancelled get an email confirming their PR status (with or without telephonic interview) and further instructions on how to get PR card by email.

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
You can also see below forums for more current candidate comments and information.
PR Inland Landing appointments/interviews affected by Covid

Etobicoke Landing Experience March 2019