+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does an Internship/Traineeship of 17 months count as work experience?

Sunny_ist

Star Member
May 16, 2016
mumbai5 said:
Whilst you are submitting/ uploading documents supporting the work experience in the PR Application, there is a ready reckoner describing what documents to upload. The details there state not to include internship.

Mumbai5
Did you apply as CEC?? You can check this forum, there are numerous posts telling that. if done outside Canada, it is acceptable.

Check this:

canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t405162.0.html

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Thanks for all the details Sunny_ist.

I've been spending the last couple hours reading documentations and realized that even if I improve my english results + my work experience I still won't reach 450 points. A viable option seemed to be finding an employer who's willing to apply for a LMIA (additional 600 pts!). After some research though, I learned that's almost impossible particularly in my field (software engineering).

I'll be investigating other routes... maybe study or self-employment could lead to something.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ALTN said:
which I'm not quite sure about since I only had 17 months of full-time, paid internship/traineeship experience in the past. All the rest was just a bunch of freelance experiences.
Yes, it is a bit difficult for someone outside Canada to get enough points to earn an invitation to apply, even if you qualify. And don't worry, the internship will "count."

You would only qualify under the FSW program. There's more good news - you can use self-employment experience under the FSW program (you can't under CEC). It can be challenging to "prove" your self-employment experience to CIC's/IRCC's satisfaction, but if you kept good records, it is possible to get credit for that work experience.

See the section, "proof of work experience."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Just an aside - with as well as you write, you should be able to improve your Language test scores. If you're used to American English, you might want to try the CELPIP exam instead of the IELTS (the accent is Canadian) if you have access to it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Thanks Jes_on, very interesting references!

Regarding my self-employment status, I've been working on a mobile app for quite a while without revenu until I released recently. The app is meant for a public/large audience, rather than specific third-party individuals who can provide evidence of service purchase. I hope proof of recent income will do.

I unfortunately do not have access to CELPIP, and you're right, I'm more used to American English. Is-it possible if I retake IELTS to combine 2 separate results? so for instance if I get (S7, L8, R8, W7), can I combine it with my previous score (S7.5, L6.5, R6.5, W8) to end up with (S7.5, L8, R8, W8)?

One more off-topic: I just learned that candidates cannot borrow the money they'll bring to Canada to support themselves. If the candidate proves to CIC they do own the required funds, how are they going to verify if some of it was borrowed?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ALTN said:
Is-it possible if I retake IELTS to combine 2 separate results? so for instance if I get (S7, L8, R8, W7), can I combine it with my previous score (S7.5, L6.5, R6.5, W8) to end up with (S7.5, L8, R8, W8)?

Alas, no, LOL : ) In your case, with with the IELTS, it would seem to be a test-taking issue, not a language skills issue, so swallow your pride and do a bunch of practice tests : )

One more off-topic: I just learned that candidates cannot borrow the money they'll bring to Canada to support themselves. If the candidate proves to CIC they do own the required funds, how are they going to verify if some of it was borrowed?

It's all about the body of evidence you provide. The link I gave you before about documenting work experience discusses all documentation requirements ("completeness check"), so if you are serious about applying, you will read the entire page several times and basically commit it to memory - an incomplete application will be returned, a poorly documented one will be refused.

Anyway =- that page also discusses what you have to document for proof of funds. Basically you have to demonstrate you either have the minimum funds for 6 months, or can explain the change in balance over the past six months. An unexplained deposit of 10K immediately before applying will raise red flags.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Thanks again for replying. I did have a close look at your links, the proof of funds section is not very specific about what could disqualify a bank statement. I feel I'm worrying too much at this stage though, I don't plan to do anything illegal, and by the time I improve my IELTS, take the TEF as second language, which turns out to be necessary to reach a reasonably qualifying score (460+), and get my ECA, by then I'd probably figure my way towards legit funds... worst case I'd resort to my forever sponsors, my parents : )

S

sutyfornow

Friends, i just wanted to make sure do paid internships outside canada and part of studies count as experience or not?

S

sutyfornow

jes_ON said:
Yes, it is a bit difficult for someone outside Canada to get enough points to earn an invitation to apply, even if you qualify. And don't worry, the internship will "count."

You would only qualify under the FSW program. There's more good news - you can use self-employment experience under the FSW program (you can't under CEC). It can be challenging to "prove" your self-employment experience to CIC's/IRCC's satisfaction, but if you kept good records, it is possible

See the section, "proof of work experience."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Just an aside - with as well as you write, you should be able to improve your Language test scores. If you're used to American English, you might want to try the CELPIP exam instead of the IELTS (the accent is Canadian) if you have access to it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp
Sure , a paid internship oustide canada and part of studying program does count as experience under FDW?

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But how would you enter the title for the job? When checking titles as in the NOC description, I did not see 'intern' as acceptable title. Would the system allow an intern title? So confused. I also have about three months of paid internship experience full-time and am wondering whether I can claim it?

Jcgo9355

Nov 10, 2014
Hey Jes,

What if the person have both PGWP and Study Permit simultaneously?

Say a person graduated and received a PGWP, started working for a company.
Then he returned to school to study full time under study permit but continue working for the company on a part time basis (still on PGWP).

Does the experience gained while studying full time but on PGWP count towards Canadian working experience?

jes_ON said:
The student work exclusion generally applies to work performed in Canada while on a study permit. Since the work was not performed in Canada, and you were paid for it, then it should "count," but as foreign work experience. You won't be eligible under the CEC program.

Merlin Samuel

Jan 13, 2018
Hey all,
I need help as I am completely new to this immigration system.
I am 23 years old and single /never married. I completed my Masters in Commerce as well as CA intermediate course. As a part of CA inter course I did full time internship work for 3 years and it was a paid internship.
Will I be eligible to apply for Express entryunder FSW or any other schemes.
Please help...