+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does after soft landing your worldwide income is taxable in Canada?

PaulSarab

Jan 5, 2020
I've been in a similar situation. When I landed with COPR docs, I made it clear to immigration that I was doing a soft landing, and that my move date would be later. I also provided a list of all items that I would be moving at a later date - it's important to provide such a list when you land on Oct 2022 or you may be liable for duty when you do move. My PR status became official during my soft landing and I received paper-work as such, and I provided my sister's address in Canada for mailing the PR card.

Besides that, I've gone out of my way to NOT create further ties with Canada until our official move. So, I did NOT apply for a SIN card, nor a bank account, drivers license or anything else. Not sure if I'm being overly cautious.

Also not sure what you should do about your Canadian drivers license or bank account. But surrendering/closing them would be evidence that you did not consider yourself a resident until your official move.
Thank you so much for your efforts to let me know your experience and what you did. I think it is better to be overly cautious rather than sorry. I am planning to make the SIN card and now I wonder if I should reconsider it. I have not read anywhere that SIN card can be considered a primary or secondary tie to Canada.

Reading online, now I regret that my immigration lawyer advised me to go for the Quebec Investor program. It seems so different from all the other provincial and federal program. I wish I could change it...(wishful thinking).

PaulSarab

Jan 5, 2020
Not knowing how banks work in Canada doesn’t excuse anyone from saying their residential address is in Canada when it is not. There is a specific form you have to fill out for CRA to determine if you are a tax resident or not. Personally would close your bank account to minimize ties to Canada although CRA will determine if you have to 100% guarantee that you are not a tax resident. The driver’s license is less of a big deal although you also indicated that your sister’s address was your permanent residential address which also has never correct. In general any tie to Canada as a PR has the risk to make you a tax resident. Things like spouse or dependent children in Canada, financial accounts in Canada, etc. are the most common things that make non-residents tax residents.

Thank you very much Canuck78 to educate me. Your efforts is much appreciated. God bless!!

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Not knowing how banks work in Canada doesn’t excuse anyone from saying their residential address is in Canada when it is not. There is a specific form you have to fill out for CRA to determine if you are a tax resident or not. Personally would close your bank account to minimize ties to Canada although CRA will determine if you have to 100% guarantee that you are not a tax resident. The driver’s license is less of a big deal although you also indicated that your sister’s address was your permanent residential address which also has never correct. In general any tie to Canada as a PR has the risk to make you a tax resident. Things like spouse or dependent children in Canada, financial accounts in Canada, etc. are the most common things that make non-residents tax residents.
For what it's worth, I was up-front with the immigration official when I first landed. I stated that this was a "soft" landing and that I would be officially moving at a later date. I also told them that given this, I was providing my sister's address to mail the PR card. They didn't raise any issue with this for me.

PaulSarab

Jan 5, 2020
For what it's worth, I was up-front with the immigration official when I first landed. I stated that this was a "soft" landing and that I would be officially moving at a later date. I also told them that given this, I was providing my sister's address to mail the PR card. They didn't raise any issue with this for me.
Yes, I also plan to tell the immigration officials at the airport that we are doing a "soft landing" and plan to give my sister's address to receive the PR card. An issue that can arise is my sister lives in Toronto and I am not certain how the Quebec officials will take it as we applied under the Quebec provincial nominee program. Hopefully they will understand it. We plan to stay for 10 days in Montreal which I believe should be sufficient to get the documentations.

So - if only the PR card suffices for our purpose, I will make the SIN card when we make the eventual move in 2023.

I will try to get in contact with CRA and will let the forum know of the answer. Thank you all.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
Yes, I also plan to tell the immigration officials at the airport that we are doing a "soft landing" and plan to give my sister's address to receive the PR card. An issue that can arise is my sister lives in Toronto and I am not certain how the Quebec officials will take it as we applied under the Quebec provincial nominee program. Hopefully they will understand it. We plan to stay for 10 days in Montreal which I believe should be sufficient to get the documentations.

So - if only the PR card suffices for our purpose, I will make the SIN card when we make the eventual move in 2023.

I will try to get in contact with CRA and will let the forum know of the answer. Thank you all.
For me, I landed at Vancouver International airport, and at passport control I explained that I was doing a soft PR landing, and they sent me to immigration in the airport. I had the final documents within 2 hours (including giving them my sister's address to mail the PR card). Nothing "official" left for me to do the rest of my stay.

Reactions: feanor13

Rahul61

Star Member
Dec 5, 2021
Hello. Just wondering what did you end up doing.

Soft landed in Canada, stayed 10 days and returned home. I have a bank account, credit card and TFSA. Planning to return and settle next year.

I'm trying to understand if:
1) I must file taxes now or it can wait until next year
2) Am I considered a resident or non-resident in this case?
Could you state what step you proceed,
You need to file taxes or not
I am in similar situation
Did soft landing in 2022 for 20 days, open bank account, now
Want to know weather i need to file tax return or not required?

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.