+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does Advanced Diploma helps to move towards a Master's degree in Canadian instituitions?

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
I've graduated from the United Kingdom. Unfortunately, I fall below 2.5 CGPA or around 49% or 'C' as UK grade classification or Third class honors. Typically any Canadian institutions are unlikely to accept anyone with such grades for graduate studies. Not even for pre-masters program. Miracles are very rare that sometime happens, simply by convincing course co-coordinators for the candidates who are not living in Canada.
Which is why, I've applied for an Advanced Diploma in Nova Scotia Community College to compensate and I've been offered a place. I assume that this would help me to secure an admission to any Master's program by achieving higher grades.

Correct me, if I'm wrong that such a thought would be fruitful, that if I were to complete Advanced Diploma with better grades, I'd have chances for Master's program at any Canadian universities?

Thanking you all wonderful people.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Nope. I thought the same but during my Admissions interview for a Master's program, I was specifically told that my Post-Grad Cert would not be taken into account for my admission. Top schools do not look at Certs/Diplomas for Master's programs. Thankfully, I still got in

Reactions: ym205

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
Nope. I thought the same but during my Admissions interview for a Master's program, I was specifically told that my Post-Grad Cert would not be taken into account for my admission. Top schools do not look at Certs/Diplomas for Master's programs. Thankfully, I still got in
Did you have good undergrad marks record?

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
Amazing.

I read one of this answer on Quora that programs like PGD in community colleges are taken by the kind of students who fell back in their university grades, so that they can overcome their setbacks and then can apply for Masters, so I was hoping towards for the same.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Amazing.

I read one of this answer on Quora that programs like PGD in community colleges are taken by the kind of students who fell back in their university grades, so that they can overcome their setbacks and then can apply for Masters, so I was hoping towards for the same.
I mean if you take extra classes from University of Toronto and get A's then that might help you but if you do a PGD program from a no-name college that gives out As for free (and I attend one so trust me they do), then that may not help you

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
I mean if you take extra classes from University of Toronto and get A's then that might help you but if you do a PGD program from a no-name college that gives out As for free (and I attend one so trust me they do), then that may not help you
How about Nova Scotia Community College?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
University and colleges are really two distinct systems. Agree that if you want to try to enter a masters program you should take more university course to increase you gpa.

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
University and colleges are really two distinct systems. Agree that if you want to try to enter a masters program you should take more university course to increase you gpa.
Yeah, but you can't just take few courses or apply to attend few courses as an international student, now can you? Because, if that's possible, then I'm rather interested to take final year at some Canadian institution. I'm just unsure how this will work out, I don't see any such options on any website. Do you think you'll be able to help me on that? also, will that likely to affect negatively on my visa application?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah, but you can't just take few courses or apply to attend few courses as an international student, now can you? Because, if that's possible, then I'm rather interested to take final year at some Canadian institution. I'm just unsure how this will work out, I don't see any such options on any website. Do you think you'll be able to help me on that? also, will that likely to affect negatively on my visa application?

Thanks.
A few courses at a college will not increase your chances of getting into a masters program.

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
A few courses at a college will not increase your chances of getting into a masters program.
Attempting to convince anyone in this forum wouldn't secure my admissions for masters in Canada, but I've had required modules as a requirement for Masters in my previous program of study, i.e Bachelors. It's just I screwed up my GPA. UK has such privileges that one could attend final year to complete their dissertation, if they left incomplete or got their GPA hampered!