+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

does a spouse of an international student need an authorization letter to travel with?

steven1987vn

Mar 10, 2017
Hi guys,

As the post stated, my wife just got her study visa approved and plans to travel to Canada this August to study. I already have a valid visitor visa a few years back. According to IRCC's official website, if an immediate family member travels with the international student to Canada then I do not need a written authorization letter. However, researching a few forums and on FB pages, a lot of pp are often being denied to board the plane without an exemption letter.

Does it happen to u guys? Will I need to do a webform to apply for one? I am afraid that IRCC will not bother to reply this kind of inquiry since they already stated very clearly that we do not need one. I checked with Canada consulate in my home country, CBSA and even IRCC in twitter but each of them gave a different answer. So confusing and frustrating when they themselves could not be confident in giving a clear answer to a simple fact stated on their government's website.

Any ideas guys? thanks for being here and posting comments.

ROTELLA

Feb 5, 2021
Hi guys,

As the post stated, my wife just got her study visa approved and plans to travel to Canada this August to study. I already have a valid visitor visa a few years back. According to IRCC's official website, if an immediate family member travels with the international student to Canada then I do not need a written authorization letter. However, researching a few forums and on FB pages, a lot of pp are often being denied to board the plane without an exemption letter.

Does it happen to u guys? Will I need to do a webform to apply for one? I am afraid that IRCC will not bother to reply this kind of inquiry since they already stated very clearly that we do not need one. I checked with Canada consulate in my home country, CBSA and even IRCC in twitter but each of them gave a different answer. So confusing and frustrating when they themselves could not be confident in giving a clear answer to a simple fact stated on their government's website.

Any ideas guys? thanks for being here and posting comments.
I am just stumbling on your post and i can tell you i am in this kind of situation too. But what is stated on IRCC website is that you need a letter of authorization as a visitor to reunite with a temporary resident (in this case a student) but not clearly stated to travel together but in any of the case i believe the letter will be needed.

Please i will like to know how you went about eventually and what you did if you have been able to enter Canada. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am just stumbling on your post and i can tell you i am in this kind of situation too. But what is stated on IRCC website is that you need a letter of authorization as a visitor to reunite with a temporary resident (in this case a student) but not clearly stated to travel together but in any of the case i believe the letter will be needed.

Please i will like to know how you went about eventually and what you did if you have been able to enter Canada. Thanks
The rules have changed since this post. Special authorization is no longer needed