+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a Representative mean more credibility?

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Hello

I am working with a reputed lawyer - Law firm on my case. They have been in business from almost 40 years and they have a lot of expertise. I am assuming IRCC officers do recognize how certain applications coming from these reputed firms are so well presented. I read several times on official CIC website that hiring a representative is your own choice and doesn't guarantee a positive outcome. However, when officers work on a file do they keep in mind that it has been presented by a reputed firm? Does that add some weight and credibility just for those couple minutes when officer is reviewing all the information. Some firms also make an appeal to the federal court if they have been refused or have been dealt in an unfair manner. How do officers deal with this or over rule this.?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I am working with a reputed lawyer - Law firm on my case. They have been in business from almost 40 years and they have a lot of expertise. I am assuming IRCC officers do recognize how certain applications coming from these reputed firms are so well presented. I read several times on official CIC website that hiring a representative is your own choice and doesn't guarantee a positive outcome. However, when officers work on a file do they keep in mind that it has been presented by a reputed firm? Does that add some weight and credibility just for those couple minutes when officer is reviewing all the information. Some firms also make an appeal to the federal court if they have been refused or have been dealt in an unfair manner. How do officers deal with this or over rule this.?

Thank you.
No - it doesn't mean more credibility. No - it doesn't add any weight to your application. Your application will be assessed with the same level of thoroughness as any other application. The only advantage to working with a consultant / lawyer is that it's generally less work / research on your part to put the application together. People who have applied with the help of a consultant / lawyer are refused all of the time (just like those who haven't).

niruda

Star Member
Sep 17, 2019
Hello

Thank you.
I did mine through a licensed consultant in Canada after I was refused. My brother actually hired the consultant. I asked my consultant if my application will be approved and can she guarantee it. she straight forwardly told me that her job is to make a strong application and not to approve applications or stamp passports. No refund if it is refused. she said she will do her part and IRCC will do their part. IRCC does not care if the applicant is hiring a lawyer or consultant for their application. All they look for is a complete application with proper documents. Also does not matter if it is a reputed one or not. It is their knowledge and how they apply it to your case. In my application I saw they referenced some past court cases related to study permit. I would have never been able to research about those myself.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Agree
I did mine through a licensed consultant in Canada after I was refused. My brother actually hired the consultant. I asked my consultant if my application will be approved and can she guarantee it. she straight forwardly told me that her job is to make a strong application and not to approve applications or stamp passports. No refund if it is refused. she said she will do her part and IRCC will do their part. IRCC does not care if the applicant is hiring a lawyer or consultant for their application. All they look for is a complete application with proper documents. Also does not matter if it is a reputed one or not. It is their knowledge and how they apply it to your case. In my application I saw they referenced some past court cases related to study permit. I would have never been able to research about those myself.

Agree, having a representative ( a consultant or lawyer) is not always needed.... immigrated to Canada without using one. It's a personal preference to use one; if you do use one check them out at the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) website at https://iccrc-crcic.ca They recently released a handy Q&A about consultants which is available at https://iccrc-crcic.ca/consumers-guide/#TOC11

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that if a representative you hire makes any mistake based on information you provide that causes any issue with an application even rejection or worst case misrepresentation, then it is still your mistake not the representatives who can only act based on the information provided.

Reactions: caipsnotes