+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does a >14-16 month Contract< Full-Time Engineering job count towards obtaining a PR?

Gh325165

Nov 27, 2018
Hey,

I graduated as an Engineer recently and I just had an interview for a full-time engineering job under a 14-16 month contract.
From my understanding, international students need to work for 1-year full time before being eligible to apply for a PR.

The job position is Full-Time employment from 8 AM - 5 PM Monday to Friday.
However, it's a contract position for 14-16 months.

When I mentioned that I'm looking to obtain a PR after working for 1 year, the hiring manager told me that this job may not be eligible to obtaining a PR since it's a contract and not a permanent role even though it's a full time engineering job. Basically she is saying it has to be a permanent role to get a PR.
She told me she heard that somewhere and she asked me to look into it as she is not 100% sure.

So my question is does a contract full-time employment engineering job count towards obtaining a PR or does it have to be a permanent full-time role in order for it to be counted?

Thanks all!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Contract position counts, doesn't need to be a permanent job, however it can't be a self employed position if you are looking to apply under CEC.

Gh325165

Nov 27, 2018
Contract position counts, doesn't need to be a permanent job, however it can't be a self employed position if you are looking to apply under CEC.
Thank you for your reply!
Yeah it's not self employment. It's a company hiring an engineer for 14-16 months.