+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents to attach with PRC Renewal Application

PRC.Renewal

Aug 30, 2018
Hi Everyone,

A newbie here. I'm applying for PRC renewal and have been living here for almost 2.5 years. Just wondering what documents should I sent with the PRC renewal application to avoid delays/secondary review etc? Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Everyone,

A newbie here. I'm applying for PRC renewal and have been living here for almost 2.5 years. Just wondering what documents should I sent with the PRC renewal application to avoid delays/secondary review etc? Thanks
Assume you have already visited the IRCC site and information for how-to-apply for new PRC, but to be sure, the information can be found here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html

Follow the instructions, per the application form (IMM 5444), the Instruction Guide (IMM 5445), and the checklist (IMM 5644), and submit documents accordingly. And be sure to HONESTLY, ACCURATELY, and COMPLETELY provide the requested information.

Risk of Secondary Review depends on particular facts of the case. Not much the PR can do to avoid a referral if the circumstances are such that a referral is otherwise likely. Thus, additional, extra documents are NOT likely to have any significant influence in whether or not the PRC application is referred for Secondary Review, unless something about them or in them invites questions and triggers a referral when otherwise processing would have been routine.

That is, if the routine review without extra documents is likely to be referred to SR, the file is indeed likely to be referred to SR without regard to any additional, extra documentation submitted with the application.

In particular, whether there are questions or concerns which will trigger a delay or referral for Secondary Review will depend on the details in the information requested and provided considered in conjunction with IRCC records and any other information IRCC considers (CBSA travel history perhaps, or check with other sources to verify information). If this leads IRCC to have questions or concerns which, for example, will trigger a referral to Secondary Review, it is very UNLIKELY IRCC will consider additional, extra information or documentation provided by the PR with the application EXCEPT in the course of the Secondary Review.

The best you can do is to carefully follow the instructions and HONESTLY, ACCURATELY, and COMPLETELY provide the requested information. ("Honestly" and "accurately" may seem redundant, and indeed both should result in the very same information being provided, but there is an important subjective difference and for purposes of how to approach the process, both are important.)

fh_2018

Aug 31, 2018
Hi.

I am also in the process of renewing my PR. If anyone could please assist with the questions below it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Photocopy of one primary document - in this case it would be my current passport. Would I have to photocopy every page or just the page with the detailed information?
  • In the past it was a requirement to translate all passport stamps - I don't see this in the new document checklist. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.

I am also in the process of renewing my PR. If anyone could please assist with the questions below it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Photocopy of one primary document - in this case it would be my current passport. Would I have to photocopy every page or just the page with the detailed information?
  • In the past it was a requirement to translate all passport stamps - I don't see this in the new document checklist. Am I missing something?
Thanks!
1) Every page of passport (s)
2) yes, translate all passport stamps. Just go any notary public, they will provide the affidavit and made a certified copy of the original.

aviator33072

Dec 15, 2014
Hi , depenabill. Have read your comments above. Appreciate your detailed answers and suggestions.

The instruction guide for prc renewal does not clearly specify if we are required to submit copies of all pages of passport or just the bio data page. Should I submit copies of all passport pages , and should I submit colour copies or black & white ?

All entry exit stamps on my passports are in English including those from Bahrain , in fact the entry exit stamps from Bahrain are in both Arabic and English. The same stamp has the date in English ( not in Arabic ) but the words exit ( or entry ) are written both in English and in Arabic. Name of country Bahrain is written in English and also in Arabic . One more thing their visa is in Arabic only and it's stamped on the passport . Question is do I need to get the stamps from Bahrain and their visa translated and certified ? Thank you.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi , depenabill. Have read your comments above. Appreciate your detailed answers and suggestions.

The instruction guide for prc renewal does not clearly specify if we are required to submit copies of all pages of passport or just the bio data page. Should I submit copies of all passport pages , and should I submit colour copies or black & white ?

All entry exit stamps on my passports are in English including those from Bahrain , in fact the entry exit stamps from Bahrain are in both Arabic and English. The same stamp has the date in English ( not in Arabic ) but the words exit ( or entry ) are written both in English and in Arabic. Name of country Bahrain is written in English and also in Arabic . One more thing their visa is in Arabic only and it's stamped on the passport . Question is do I need to get the stamps from Bahrain and their visa translated and certified ? Thank you.
The instruction guide I am acquainted with does clearly state what the copy of the PR's "main identity document" "should show."

See:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#5445E4

In particular it states:
The copy should show:
-- the document type and number;
-- issue and expiry date;
-- your name;
-- your photo; and
-- your date of birth

For most passports all this is shown on what is commonly referred to as the bio pages. Seems clear to me . . . BUT I am no expert.

As long as IRCC is satisfied as to identity AND there are no concerns or questions about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, it is unlikely IRCC will request a full copy of the PR's passport. However, IRCC can ask for a full copy or even the original. If a copy of all pages is requested, as others have otherwise observed, yes of course any information which is not in one or the other official language must be translated . . . this is a standard requirement applicable to almost all IRCC requests for documents.

Even when a full copy, a copy of all pages, is requested, enforcement of the requirement to provide an authenticated translation appears to vary. Best guess is that IRCC often gives a pass if the information is otherwise readily discerned, overall the travel dates are readily identified and verified, and generally there are no significant questions about dates present in Canada. Worse case consequence, for failing to provide a translation when IRCC wants one, is for the process to be delayed some while IRCC makes a specific request.