+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents required for Citizenship test

ohalawani

Oct 22, 2016
Hi everyone,

I got my letter for citizenship test for Feb 1st which is very exciting. In the letter they ask for all the original supporting documents that I sent.

I am a bit confused here as some of those documents I sent were actually original and certified. Like for example my university transcripts for english proof. Also I lived in Germany for 1.8 years and I got a criminal record from there which was translated and certified. I can't get another criminal record as it takes forever to get one from Germany (3 to 4 months) and I only have 2 weeks (from when I got the letter). As for the transcripts I do have my Bachelor degree original which I can bring with me (I hope they don't take it).

I do not understand why would they need those documents again if we are at this stage?

Please let me know what should I do in this scenario? I do have copies of my criminal record and copies of the translation.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi everyone,

I got my letter for citizenship test for Feb 1st which is very exciting. In the letter they ask for all the original supporting documents that I sent.

I am a bit confused here as some of those documents I sent were actually original and certified. Like for example my university transcripts for english proof. Also I lived in Germany for 1.8 years and I got a criminal record from there which was translated and certified. I can't get another criminal record as it takes forever to get one from Germany (3 to 4 months) and I only have 2 weeks (from when I got the letter). As for the transcripts I do have my Bachelor degree original which I can bring with me (I hope they don't take it).

I do not understand why would they need those documents again if we are at this stage?

Please let me know what should I do in this scenario? I do have copies of my criminal record and copies of the translation.
Edited. Submitting the original PCC is a requirement, I think you can just mention that and take a photocopy with you to the interview. Getting another one doesn't make sense.

As for transcripts, it turns out they only needed photocopies. Your degree will suffice if anything. In most cases, they don't ask to see the original language proof anyway, unless your conversational English is not up to their standard.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi everyone,

The only original that you were supposed to submit with your citizenship application was the police certificate. Everything else is supposed to be just copies. So you won't have to bring a copy of your PCC of course. However, everything else they could ask for. So all other documents in the document list (of which you submitted copies presumably) you should bring the originals of.

Regarding your transcript: You were not supposed to submit your original transcript with the application, just a photocopy. It seems you have misread the instructions which clearly state to submit photocopies (no big deal, see below).

So they would expect you to bring your transcript with you, in the original, just like your passport, your ID, your PR card and so on. It is unlikely they will want to see the transcript but possible. I would recommend to simply order another transcript from your university. At my university, it takes like $15 and about a week to get it. That's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I would not recommend to count on them knowing that you submitted the original. Bring another original with you. You can hope they won't ask for it (as suggested above), but if I were you I would better make sure.

Obviously, they do NOT take any documents from you at the interview. They just want to look at them to confirm they are genuine.

Jan 16, 2018
The only original that you were supposed to submit with your citizenship application was the police certificate. Everything else is supposed to be just copies. So you won't have to bring a copy of your PCC of course. However, everything else they could ask for. So all other documents in the document list (of which you submitted copies presumably) you should bring the originals of.

Regarding your transcript: You were not supposed to submit your original transcript with the application, just a photocopy. It seems you have misread the instructions which clearly state to submit photocopies (no big deal, see below).

So they would expect you to bring your transcript with you, in the original, just like your passport, your ID, your PR card and so on. It is unlikely they will want to see the transcript but possible. I would recommend to simply order another transcript from your university. At my university, it takes like $15 and about a week to get it. That's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I would not recommend to count on them knowing that you submitted the original. Bring another original with you. You can hope they won't ask for it (as suggested above), but if I were you I would better make sure.

Obviously, they do NOT take any documents from you at the interview. They just want to look at them to confirm they are genuine.
I just realized i have submitted original translations of marriage certificate and birth certificate. Do you think the officer will not have a full package of my application at interview, including original docs submitted?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I just realized i have submitted original translations of marriage certificate and birth certificate. Do you think the officer will not have a full package of my application at interview, including original docs submitted?
Somebody who has been to an interview would have to confirm that.

ohalawani

Oct 22, 2016

I read the instructions but I did not see a harm in sending original copies. I get them for free so I will order them. Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi everyone,

When I went for test/interview, my file was with the interviewing officer, so, in your case, same may happen the officer will have the originals in front of him/her. Take photocopies of originals you have submitted and take originals for photocopies you have submitted.
Tell the officer that you submitted the originals with the application if asked.

They ask to bring the originals so that if they have doubts, they can cross check the originals.