+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents requested from a Citizen in Canada by a skilled worker...?!

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
I am a Permanent resident in Canada and my husband is a Canadian citizen. About 2 years ago my sister applied for immigration to Canada under skilled-worker category from India. Recently she received a letter from CIC Delhi confirming that her application is in process now and to expect a letter for additional documents soon.

Now, her “consultant” who has helped her apply for this is asking for MY (and my husband’s) Social Insurance Number, Bank statements, Passport copies and documents relating to my home here. Apparently it increases 5 points for the application itself and it would speed the process. Is this true? I can’t find this information in the www.cic.gc.ca.

I am confused as to why would they require MY and my husband's details? Especially confidential information like SIN and all? And that too not the immigration office, the consultant is asking for these!!!

I don’t want to part with such information unless I absolutely have to. Can anyone please advise me what I am getting in to?

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
Please help me with this! I am sure someone in this forum knows what to do in the below circumstances.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
RPM said:
Please help me with this! I am sure someone in this forum knows what to do in the below circumstances.
- To increase 5 points as a relative or siblings you just need to provide a copy of your canadian passport or proof of landing paper or copy of your PR card (both side). I guess SIN number is not necessary. Yes, bank statement could be relevant but not necessary. I guess you are not the sponsor. Ask the applicant to check the application checklist. It clearly says what document to submit if you want to gain some points from your canadian family members or relatives.

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for your response Habib, much appreciated. I am not sponcering her. Also, I was under the impression that she needs to submit all the relevant documents while submitting initial application itself (which she did)? Why would they need this proof at this stage? And too not the CHC, its the consultant who is asking these.

Where can I find the application check list? I am sure its some where in cic.gc.ca but i just dont seem to find it.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
RPM said:
Thanks for your response Habib, much appreciated. I am not sponcering her. Also, I was under the impression that she needs to submit all the relevant documents while submitting initial application itself (which she did)? Why would they need this proof at this stage? And too not the CHC, its the consultant who is asking these.

Where can I find the application check list? I am sure its some where in cic.gc.ca but i just dont seem to find it.
- Check the following link. And check the box 5 in it.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37029.pdf

- Your sister's situation is a judgement call now. Ask her to ask the lawyer/ representative why he/she needs SIN number and bank statement to proof adaptability. In the check list it clearly says your PR card copy or canadian passport copy should be fine!
- In addition to proof adaptability or your relationship with your sister you may provide your birth certificate. Thats how the immigration officer will be assured that both of you are from the same parents and are sisters.

Thank you.

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
This information is valuable. Thanks for this Habib. I was sure i didnt have to submit my SIN and my bank statements...Thanks again, much appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

RPM said:
This information is valuable. Thanks for this Habib. I was sure i didnt have to submit my SIN and my bank statements...Thanks again, much appreciated.
1. Your sister actually needs a copy of her birth certificate, and a copy of your birth certificate showing the same parents. She needs a copy of your PR card and proof that you are residing in Canada. That can be bank statements, mortgage/rent payments, T4 Showing an employer in Canada.

PMM

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

1. Your sister actually needs a copy of her birth certificate, and a copy of your birth certificate showing the same parents. She needs a copy of your PR card and proof that you are residing in Canada. That can be bank statements, mortgage/rent payments, T4 Showing an employer in Canada.

PMM
Thanks PMM but if this is the case, shouldnt she have already submitted these documents along whith the initial application which she submitted? Can she do it now because she didnt do it while applying?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

RPM said:
PMM said:
Hi

PMM
She may have claimed the 5 points for the relative and not submitted enough proof, so ND is giving her a chance to prove her claim. I have no idea what submitted with her application, so maybe you should ask her?

PMM

Thanks PMM but if this is the case, shouldnt she have already submitted these documents along whith the initial application which she submitted? Can she do it now because she didnt do it while applying?