+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents needed for sponsoring parents

Yalena

Dec 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

I became a permanent resident of Canada recently. I'd like to sponsor my parents through the Parents and Grandparents Program. I am trying to find out all the documents that we will need from our country of origin (Cuba). It usually takes a looong time to get any documents from there, so I'd like to be ready when/if the opportunity arises, and we can actually apply. I know the requirements might change from one year to the other, but I'd like to have an idea of what might be necessary.

I checked the 2017 checklist and I could only identify the marriage certificate as a requirement. Will they need to present their birth certificates at some point? What else could be requested?

Also, I am assuming that medical and criminal checks are only necessary if you have advanced in the process and you are actually being evaluated to become a permanent resident. Am I right?

I'll really appreciate your thoughts and knowledge.

Kind regards,

Yalena

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The most important is that you (and co-signer) meet the minimum income requirement from working in Canada for 3 years. The requirement for LICO for the 2018 will likely be from 2014/15/16 but it hasn't been announced yet.

Yalena

Dec 9, 2017
The most important is that you (and co-signer) meet the minimum income requirement from working in Canada for 3 years. The requirement for LICO for the 2018 will likely be from 2014/15/16 but it hasn't been announced yet.
Thanks for your reply. I thought that the requirement for LICO was from the last 3 years, so for 2018, shouldn't it be from 2015/16/17?

I know I have to check if I am eligible according to the LICO, but my question was related to the required documents from the country of origin once you realize that you are eligible and they select you to apply.

Thanks,

Yalena

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Filing for 2017 income tax happens mid 2018 so you wouldn't have access to 2017 NOA at the 2018 PGP time. We'll all have to wait and see though.

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Hello everyone,

I became a permanent resident of Canada recently. I'd like to sponsor my parents through the Parents and Grandparents Program. I am trying to find out all the documents that we will need from our country of origin (Cuba). It usually takes a looong time to get any documents from there, so I'd like to be ready when/if the opportunity arises, and we can actually apply. I know the requirements might change from one year to the other, but I'd like to have an idea of what might be necessary.

I checked the 2017 checklist and I could only identify the marriage certificate as a requirement. Will they need to present their birth certificates at some point? What else could be requested?

Also, I am assuming that medical and criminal checks are only necessary if you have advanced in the process and you are actually being evaluated to become a permanent resident. Am I right?

I'll really appreciate your thoughts and knowledge.

Kind regards,

Yalena
Hello Yalena,

Did you get all the help that you needed.
Am asking, cause i plan to apply for the same for my Mother, early next year, and thus need to start working on the application and docs right now.
Can you kindly share with me what you have learned during this time and we can share our experiences here.
Appreciate all your guidance.

Thanks

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Yalena,

Am asking, cause i plan to apply for the same for my Mother, early next year, and thus need to start working on the application and docs right now.
Can you kindly share with me what you have learned during this time and we can share our experiences here.

Thanks
What's wrong with you? Why do you ask the same question 500 times? Why don't you read the requirements yourself rather than wanting everything to be spoon fed to you?

These are some of the answers / repeated threads you made:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/wanting-to-apply-for-mothers-permanent-residency.556318/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2017.479048/page-281#post-6892819

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sponsoring-parents-in-2015.248893/page-363#post-6892811

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2018.513951/page-152#post-6892798

And many more......

Why do you repeat your questions here rather than spending 5 minutes reading the requirements then ask any specific quedtions you have?!!!!!!

Yalena

Dec 9, 2017
Hello Yalena,

Thanks
Hi Shaikhzees, all I have are all those links that other members of the group have kindly posted on this thread. I haven't been able to start the process yet, unfortunately.

Regards,

Yalena

Reactions: Shaikhzees

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Hi Shaikhzees, all I have are all those links that other members of the group have kindly posted on this thread. I haven't been able to start the process yet, unfortunately.

Regards,

Yalena
Best of luck Yalena on your advent.

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
What's wrong with you? Why do you ask the same question 500 times? Why don't you read the requirements yourself rather than wanting everything to be spoon fed to you?

These are some of the answers / repeated threads you made:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/wanting-to-apply-for-mothers-permanent-residency.556318/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2017.479048/page-281#post-6892819

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sponsoring-parents-in-2015.248893/page-363#post-6892811

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2018.513951/page-152#post-6892798

And many more......

Why do you repeat your questions here rather than spending 5 minutes reading the requirements then ask any specific quedtions you have?!!!!!!
Dear OP_POP,

I know there is now a raffle draw system. For which, you have to show your interest and just put in the names.
Then if you're lucky and your name has been pulled out, you have a window of some days/month in which you have to file in your complete application. Am also aware of the LICO salary requirement for last 3 years.

Want to hear from somebody out there, who has applied for their parents/grandparents ON THEIR OWN.

Kindly guide me through as to what docs you had assembled for the application. What hurdles you came across (if any). Fees, application number, time period, etc.

Also if there are any readers, who hired a consultant to do this work for them, kindly pitch in and guide us all, as to what paperwork/docs the consultant had asked for and went in with the actual application.

Thanks again !!

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Dear OP_POP,

I know there is now a raffle draw system. For which, you have to show your interest and just put in the names.
Then if you're lucky and your name has been pulled out, you have a window of some days/month in which you have to file in your complete application. Am also aware of the LICO salary requirement for last 3 years.

Want to hear from somebody out there, who has applied for their parents/grandparents ON THEIR OWN.

Kindly guide me through as to what docs you had assembled for the application. What hurdles you came across (if any). Fees, application number, time period, etc.

Also if there are any readers, who hired a consultant to do this work for them, kindly pitch in and guide us all, as to what paperwork/docs the consultant had asked for and went in with the actual application.

Thanks again !!
Loved your response to someone's rant :) Just like a true Canadian ;)

In regard to the information you are looking for, your best bet is to follow the below link:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2018.513951/page-167

There is a lot of information which you could get from the link.

Unfortunately there are some contributors in the discussion who consider parents as 'bunch of old people' even though they themselves are sponsoring their parents (irony), but it's just few of them. You will know very soon who I am talking about :)

Reactions: Shaikhzees

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loved your response to someone's rant :) Just like a true Canadian ;)

In regard to the information you are looking for, your best bet is to follow the below link:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2018.513951/page-167

There is a lot of information which you could get from the link.

Unfortunately there are some contributors in the discussion who consider parents as 'bunch of old people' even though they themselves are sponsoring their parents (irony), but it's just few of them. You will know very soon who I am talking about :)
Glad you liked it, You should read my first reply to him too!

I don't get along with freeloaders (e.g. people expecting we tax payers pay for their parents' excessive medical expenses) and people expecting to get information spoon feed to them (e.g. people who don't even try to read the requirements themselves before asking) :)