+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Documents checked by immigration upon arrival in Canada on study permit.

altctrdelighted

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
Hi folks,
Can you please tell me what documents are checked at the airport by the immigration officials before allowing entry? It would be great if someone can answer from personal experience. I have already read the list of documents on the CIC website. Just want a practical perspective from someone who has entered Canada recently on a study permit.

Another question is that my flight is on 26th May 22. The course commencement date on my LOA is 1st sept 2021. My visa was approved in Dec 2021. Got my passport back with the sticker in March 22. And now I am ready to go there as my medical is expiring on 2nd June 22. So, my question is that I would surely need a new LOA right? And do I need to mail the IRCC regarding that? Or I can just get a new LOA with a course commencement date of say 1st June 22 and directly take it to Canada and show the border services officer?
Thanks !!

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
I have not travelled yet but i do know many people that had recently and they all say that the documents that CBSA can ask for, are any or all documents listed in the website. Nothing outside of that list. Sometimes they might ask for all of them (Proof of funds, LoA, Letter of introduction, University Payment Receipts,Proof of Vaccination,etc) or sometimes just 1 or 2. It depends. Better safe than sorry and travel with all of them just in case.

Also you absolutely must get a new LOA from your DLI, with a new valid start date, as the one you currently have is expired. When you travel, you will still need to take both LOAs with you (The old and new one).

Regarding to if you must notify the IRCC via webform about your deferral, the answer is "Not Necessary". According to the official IRCC Twitter account, the deferral in start date of your classes is between you and your DLI. You should of course notify them if your application is still being processed and if the deferral is to a date over 150 days from the original start date (So they can issue the expiration date of your TRV accordingly). Since your application is already completed, there is no need to notify them.

Here's the tweet i mentioned:

Reactions: altctrdelighted

altctrdelighted

Star Member
Dec 17, 2020
Anyone?
I have not travelled yet but i do know many people that had recently and they all say that the documents that CBSA can ask for, are any or all documents listed in the website. Nothing outside of that list. Sometimes they might ask for all of them (Proof of funds, LoA, Letter of introduction, University Payment Receipts,Proof of Vaccination,etc) or sometimes just 1 or 2. It depends. Better safe than sorry and travel with all of them just in case.

Also you absolutely must get a new LOA from your DLI, with a new valid start date, as the one you currently have is expired. When you travel, you will still need to take both LOAs with you (The old and new one).

Regarding to if you must notify the IRCC via webform about your deferral, the answer is "Not Necessary". According to the official IRCC Twitter account, the deferral in start date of your classes is between you and your DLI. You should of course notify them if your application is still being processed and if the deferral is to a date over 150 days from the original start date (So they can issue the expiration date of your TRV accordingly). Since your application is already completed, there is no need to notify them.

Here's the tweet i mentioned:

Thank you so much. All clear!!