+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Document proving you have legal status in Canada"

Nikandry

Dec 14, 2015
I am a British citizen in Canada as a tourist with my Canadian husband. We are applying inland for him to sponsor me as his spouse (we have been married over 5 years). One of the required documents is "immigration document confirming your status in Canada eg. .... Document proving that you have legal status in Canada."

Is a photocopy of the stamp I was given on entry adequate proof of my legal status? I do not have a TRP or any counter foil etc. I understand I am allowed to stay for 6 months with this stamp.

Thanks for your help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you aware that an Outland application would be substantially faster for you?

Did you know that applying Outland from within Canada is even an option?

Providing a photocopy of your most recent entry stamp is fine, but...since legal status isn't required for an Inland applicant, so long as they have an eligible sponsor, I wonder why they need this?

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
Nikandry said:
I am a British citizen in Canada as a tourist with my Canadian husband. We are applying inland for him to sponsor me as his spouse (we have been married over 5 years). One of the required documents is "immigration document confirming your status in Canada eg. .... Document proving that you have legal status in Canada."

Is a photocopy of the stamp I was given on entry adequate proof of my legal status? I do not have a TRP or any counter foil etc. I understand I am allowed to stay for 6 months with this stamp.

Thanks for your help!
We just photocopied my passport stamp

Nikandry

Dec 14, 2015
That's great, the passport stamp was what I had hoped.

Ponta, according to the guide, the person being sponsored on an inland application does have to have legal status in the country.

Thanks for your help.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nikandry said:
That's great, the passport stamp was what I had hoped.

Ponta, according to the guide, the person being sponsored on an inland application does have to have legal status in the country.

Thanks for your help.
But that's the only place that says that. If you look at CIC document ip8 (which is the Inland Processing manual that is used) it still shows that legal status, although technically required, can be overlooked thanks to a public policy that was establish 10 years ago.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is also from the Inland Guide:

Before you apply
Important information

Before you fill out the forms, read the following important information:
Things to remember

A foreign national cannot become a permanent resident in Canada if he or she is inadmissible for reasons other than lack of legal immigration status in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Nikandry said:
I am a British citizen in Canada as a tourist with my Canadian husband. We are applying inland for him to sponsor me as his spouse
Apply outland. It is significantly faster and you can be in Canada during the process and continue to extend your visitor status.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Nikandry said:
Yeah, but i wouldnt be able to work whilst here.
Generally the money you make working while waiting does not outweigh the long, stressful waiting game of an inland application.

o6ocpaka

Sep 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-12-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
11-11-2015
Nikandry said:
Yeah, but i wouldnt be able to work whilst here.
I would definitely consider applying outland, as others have already advised. Right now you are looking at about 2+ years for inland applicants, could be even longer with the current refugee situation. Keep in mind there is also no right to appeal the decision once it is made for inlands. Do you really want to put yourself through some years of extreme stress just so you can work for an extra half a year? With outland you would probably become a PR within 6-8 months.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nikandry said:
Afraid I cant afford to not work for 6-8 months.
Be prepared to wait ~ 4 months for the OWP. Also make sure to pay the full amount of $255 (which includes the `new' $100 Holder Fee).
Some people have only paid the regular fee of $155 and had their OWP application returned.