+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

doctor internship counts as experience?

S

sutyfornow

I need the opinions of experts and those who were in the same situation.
Does doctor internship count as experience? Knowing it was after graduation and was paid
Anybody claimed points for it and earned ita?

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
sutyfornow said:
I need the opinions of experts and those who were in the same situation.
Does doctor internship count as experience? Knowing it was after graduation and was paid
Anybody claimed points for it and earned ita?
Hi,
This is a doctor from India.

Actually, the answer of your question is 'No'. Internship is a part of MBBS degree course. It can't be calculated as work experience, even if you were being paid for it.

I'll explain.

The only way to recognise your MBBS credential in Canada is to get it evaluated by any agency, e.g. WES.
Now, WES will count your internship as a part of MBBS, the total duration of which is 5.5 years. It would say in your ECA report, 'Professional degree needed to practise in a licensed profession'.

And, also MBBS degree can't be earned without internship. So, it can't be calculated as work experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jpv2212 said:
The only way to recognise your MBBS credential in Canada is to get it evaluated by any agency, e.g. WES.
Now, WES will count your internship as a part of MBBS, the total duration of which is 5.5 years. It would say in your ECA report, 'Professional degree needed to practise in a licensed profession'.

Um... this is not correct. To have a medical degree assessed, it can ONLY be assessed by the Medical Council of Canada (a WES evaluation would not be accepted.)

See the section "Designated Organizations for ECAs" -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

And, also MBBS degree can't be earned without internship. So, it can't be calculated as work experience.

I disagree with this. If the experience is outside of Canada, then student work can be accepted. For example, if someone works as a Teaching or Research Assistant as part of their studies, this experience is accepted.

So, yes, the internship is accepted as skilled work experience.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29

Also you will note that intern and resident are included in the NOC.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
I guess you are not a doctor, or you don't have enough knowledge of how a medical degree is assessed.

Let me explain you.

You are correct in that only MCC can evaluate a medical degree. Yes, that's correct. But, do you know that it's only required if you are going to practise medicine in Canada?
To get a license to practise medicine in Canada, we require ECA by MCC only.

Now, let me clarify you that the OP doesn't ask for the licensure procedures for doctors. He specifically asks for immigration purpose.
And as far as immigration purpose is concerned, WES does evaluate medical degree earned outside Canada. I've already done mine and WES has evaluated it as a 'Professional degree' as I previously mentioned.

Hope it's clear.

alimzlm

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
jpv2212 said:
I guess you are not a doctor, or you don't have enough knowledge of how a medical degree is assessed.

Let me explain you.

You are correct in that only MCC can evaluate a medical degree. Yes, that's correct. But, do you know that it's only required if you are going to practise medicine in Canada?

Now, let me clarify you that the OP doesn't ask for the licensure procedures for doctors. He specifically asks for immigration purpose.
And as far as immigration purpose is concerned, WES does evaluate medical degree earned outside Canada. I've already done mine and WES has evaluated it as a 'Professional degree' as I previously mentioned.

Hope it's clear.
please open this link:
http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?CLV=4&CPV=3112&CST=01012011&CVD=122376&Function=getAllExample&MLV=4&TVD=122372&V=81470&VST=01012011
intern is an example of 3112 - General practitioners and family physicians

Reactions: Red Igloo

aniket2789

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Pune , India
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Passport Req..
17-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2017
LANDED..........
19-07-2017
jpv2212 said:

Let me explain you.

Hope it's clear.
Yes this is Right... WES evaluation for the Medical Degree is sufficient for immigration.
Also if internship is mandatory part of your course to get a degree as it is in India then it is not counted as work experience.
Which country did you graduate medicals from? if we know only then you can get your case specific answer.

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Those favouring internship as a work experience, please give me one clarification. I'm asking, not criticising.

You can call it a 'Work' when you 'finish' the education required to do the same job. Right?
Now, 'Degree' is conferred to a student only when he 'Finishes' the internship. Till then, he is only provided with a provisional degree. In which country final degree certificate is given to a student WITHOUT doing internship? Please let me know. I'll send my son to obtain medical degree from that country! :p

So, if he can not obtain a degree without doing internship, then how on earth can he consider himself a 'Doctor'??
Also, no one will hire him as a doctor, if he has not completed his internship.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Wasnt this question asked few days ago?
My answer is still yes, it counts as experience.
Internships are NOT part of the medical degree
I studied medicine for 7 years, was awarded with M.D degree upon completion, before being allowed to start WORKING as an intern.
The 2nd point is WES is not acceptable by cic for assessing medical degrees. The only authorised place to do that is MCC.
Your duties as an intern are those of any other medical doctor, so you are complying with NOC 3112. You are paid for it, and you work more than 40 hours a week.
So yes, you can claim points for that as a work experience.
Good luck

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Bearing in mind that I am talking about medical degrees. I just noticed you said you are a dentist.
Most people get confused when you ask about medical degrees while referring to a dental degree, as they are totally different.
So it would help if you make it clear in the original enquiry ( dentist degree).

Nody

Dec 4, 2017
Wasnt this question asked few days ago?
My answer is still yes, it counts as experience.
Internships are NOT part of the medical degree
I studied medicine for 7 years, was awarded with M.D degree upon completion, before being allowed to start WORKING as an intern.
The 2nd point is WES is not acceptable by cic for assessing medical degrees. The only authorised place to do that is MCC.
Your duties as an intern are those of any other medical doctor, so you are complying with NOC 3112. You are paid for it, and you work more than 40 hours a week.
So yes, you can claim points for that as a work experience.
Good luck

Did you personally send to cic your internship year degree as a form of a job experience and it worked?

Mano2002

Feb 9, 2018
Dr feras has this worked for anyone yet,sending internship year as the only experience and getting pr as a doctor?

May 14, 2018
INDIA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
3111 3112
App. Filed.......
11/05/2018
AOR Received.
11/05/2018
Med's Done....
16/04/2018
I am MBBS from India.i got my degree accessed from MCC and it's clearly stated on CIC website that only MCC wud give ECA for primary Medical degree ie MBBS. And for MD ,they wud just source verify it.For MBBS I got Doctor of Medicine .My MBBS final yr exam passing date was considered as passing date of my degree by MCC and as for internship ,they just source verified it.So I think,if they are source verifying the internship,thn it means they are not considering it as work experience.And moreover during internship,we only get temporary registration but the permanent registration and MBBS degree is only conferred after internship...so according to me internship is not considered as work experience even if it's paid as the pay which we get is not salary,it's stipend..

SameenaH26

Jul 19, 2018
I am MBBS from India.i got my degree accessed from MCC and it's clearly stated on CIC website that only MCC wud give ECA for primary Medical degree ie MBBS. And for MD ,they wud just source verify it.For MBBS I got Doctor of Medicine .My MBBS final yr exam passing date was considered as passing date of my degree by MCC and as for internship ,they just source verified it.So I think,if they are source verifying the internship,thn it means they are not considering it as work experience.And moreover during internship,we only get temporary registration but the permanent registration and MBBS degree is only conferred after internship...so according to me internship is not considered as work experience even if it's paid as the pay which we get is not salary,it's stipend..
Hello, Dr. Rohan, it would be a great help if youwould kindly mention what are the documents you sent for source verification initially through MCC and physiciansapply.ca, it would be a great help. Thanks!

krishn22

Star Member
May 17, 2017
While applying I remember it was given in instructions "work must be after you got your degree to practice/license to practice/ graduated in the applicable NOC, not include mandatory/unpaid internships" or something like that.

Going by my MBBS degree certificate verified by MCC, the date I was awarded my final MBBS degree was upon completion of internship, (in simple words internship was before I was awarded my degree) so i didn't mention internship as work experience (also it didn't make any difference in CRS for me :p).

Last edited: