+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Doctor / Dentist

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also warn you that there is a surplus of dentists in Canda especially in cities. Dental care ia expensive in Canada so many can't afford to see a dentist on a regular basis unless the are lucky to have extended benefit programs through their employer. There are many Canadians that go abroad for dental treatment. They combine a holiday with getting dental care done. Not enouraging or discouraging but people are under the false impression that their profession is needed in Canada because a professional degree gives people more points. Would encourage you to reach out to various dentists to get a good picture of whether it makes sense to immigrate to Canada versus another country. Would contact a foreign trained doctor who has just started practicing, dentists who have been in practice for 10 years and another dentist who has worked for 15+ years and ask about working in dentisty and the changes they've noticed in the market over time. Would also evaluate you will be happy if you have to live in a smaller comnunity versus something like GTA or greater Vancouver.

Just one article:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/glut-of-dentists-causes-aches-in-canadas-big-cities/article36322773/

refugeewithkids

Jul 24, 2020
you mean competition will reduce the price of service so people inside canada will have better and cheaper service, right.. it this what you recommend she immigrate to canada?

refugeewithkids

Jul 24, 2020
but every thing is hard to find? I dont understand..... In general it depends on the talent and skills of the doctor.... There are computer experts who work as uber drivers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
but every thing is hard to find? I dont understand..... In general it depends on the talent and skills of the doctor.... There are computer experts who work as uber drivers
People are under the impression that Canada needs more dentists. Canadian graduates have a tough job getting good job offer when they graduate. The job market is over saturated. Less patients while more dentists and running a dental clinic in Canada is expensive. Less and less people have extended benefits that cover dental procedures on top of that.

refugeewithkids

Jul 24, 2020
People are under the impression that Canada needs more dentists. Canadian graduates have a tough job getting good job offer when they graduate. The job market is over saturated. Less patients while more dentists and running a dental clinic in Canada is expensive. Less and less people have extended benefits that cover dental procedures on top of that.
Why they are under the impression? isn't the dentist classified a Job A by the Specialized immigration agency based on reliable data. Do you work in Government, you mean Government changed the classification, right? dentist is not any more A job classified by Gov.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why they are under the impression? isn't the dentist classified a Job A by the Specialized immigration agency based on reliable data. Do you work in Government, you mean Government changed the classification, right? dentist is not any more A job classified by Gov.
That is not what they said . It’s called supply & demand . The supply of dentists in Canada has outgrown the demand needed
Example. I needed to see a periodontist. I was referred to one by my dentist . The periodontist repeatedly told me in no way would they “ poach “ me from my own dentist for services my own dentist could provide, even though they could of done more dental work . And I’m aware my dentist operates a business, they are extremely efficient , but in the end I’m paying $$$$ for that service, plus I’m covered with a plan .More like a gentleman’s agreement. The periodontist could of said I can do such & such work , and undercut my own dentist . It’s a cut throat Business

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Know many dentists and dental students who are complaining about difficulty finding good jobs after graduation and enough patients to operate their clinic. The biggest complaint is about the larger cities having way too many dentists. Many also don’t have insurance through employers anymore so I know many seniors especially who go on vacation and have their dental work done at the fraction of the cost so it is affordable.

refugeewithkids

Jul 24, 2020
am confused, are you in the government , is this a real advice, do you have the link to the statistics you mentioning above, did they drop the dentist from the Group A Jobs.. Are you communicating the message that doctors are not welcomed... i am so confused..

dentist are expensive in the usa and many countries including in africa... they use expensive materials... am not getting what you wanted to say...... sometimes a small operation in the hand can cost $20,000.... Right?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
am confused, are you in the government , is this a real advice, do you have the link to the statistics you mentioning above, did they drop the dentist from the Group A Jobs.. Are you communicating the message that doctors are not welcomed... i am so confused..

dentist are expensive in the usa and many countries including in africa... they use expensive materials... am not getting what you wanted to say...... sometimes a small operation in the hand can cost $20,000.... Right?
What is being said to you is that if you have expectation of being a dentist in Canada then think again. Medical degrees are great for immigration as they give a lot of points but government regulation states that you will need to re-certify to practice in Canada.

Read this:
https://www.quora.com/How-does-one-become-a-dentist-in-Canada

The answer from Gerry Uswak is particularly good.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I attached another article but there are too many dentists in Canada. Here is another study almost 10 years ago and the surplus had only gotten bigger. I am not sure why you are immigrating but many foreign dentists are under the false impression that there is a lot of demand for dentists in Canada. Would add this is true for pharmacists as well. Due to a huge influx of foreign trained pharmacists and an increase in enrolment in Canadian schools the salaries for pharmacists have decreased over the past 15 years.

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/03/26/surplus-of-dentists-brings-changes-to-the-profession-in-canada/

refugeewithkids

Jul 24, 2020
but population is increasing as well, and many occupations requires re-certification, isnt it better to have surplus rather than shortage, no.. false impression is this based on data or assumptions,, sometimes someone is angry with his dentist and built wrong opinion on the entire sector... i think dentist are expensive cause of the material, they have to use high quality and they should use the best material in canada for the patients.. ppl deserve the best.

the dental sickness is also getting more frequent, i think its good to increase the dentist dr to help ppl.