Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
I hope my docs well be received as valid by IRCC.

I did the following:
1. Got the original PCC and had it "apostilled" (authenticated) by the originating government's Supreme Court. This resulted in the generation of two additional pages that state the PCC is an authentic document from the originating government. All of the aforementioned documents are in the original language. I did this in accordance with IRCC's specific instructions for this country (Costa Rica) from this webpage. I am hopeful this is valid as certifying the PCC as authentic.
2. Scanned the PCC and authentication documentation in colour, and emailed to the translation company.
3. The translation company returned their affidavit, their translation of all of the pages I sent them, and black & white copies of the pages I sent them. All of these pages they sent me have the translation company's stamp on them.
4. I am planning to upload to IRCC everything the translation company gave me as well as the colour scans of the original PCC and authentication papers.

@mancugay - do you think this will serve as valid in the eyes of IRCC? If not, do you know what else could I do?
Hi. Did you end up submitting anything additional (like a certified true copy of the original document from notary) and how is your case looking so far?

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Hi. Did you end up submitting anything additional (like a certified true copy of the original document from notary) and how is your case looking so far?
Hey @jp2020, actually I received my ITA today of all days. So I haven't submitted anything yet!

I won't be submitting anything additional. So crossing my fingers and really hoping this works out. I'm not sure what else I would do at this point.

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
I am so confused, to be honest...

I emailed just a scan of my original PCC(no notarization or authentification) to docbase and received:
1) Certification of translation
2) Translation
3) B/w copy with stamp.

My only issue is do I need a certified true copy of the original document and what would be that original document: just original PCC OR all pages that I received from docbase and PCC.

I have booked Notary tomorrow and I don't know still what has to be notarized as a true copy.

I also see this requirement on IRCC: you can indicate that you’re not providing an affidavit because a certified translator completed the translation (write a letter and scan it with your translated document)
So, I guess we also should to submit LOE that we don't need an affidavit because the translation was from a certified translator

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
I am so confused, to be honest...

I emailed just a scan of my original PCC(no notarization or authentification) to docbase and received:
1) Certification of translation
2) Translation
3) B/w copy with stamp.

My only issue is do I need a certified true copy of the original document and what would be that original document: just original PCC OR all pages that I received from docbase and PCC.

I have booked Notary tomorrow and I don't know still what has to be notarized as a true copy.

I also see this requirement on IRCC: you can indicate that you’re not providing an affidavit because a certified translator completed the translation (write a letter and scan it with your translated document)
So, I guess we also should to submit LOE that we don't need an affidavit because the translation was from a certified translator

So, for my foreign country requiring translation (Costa Rica), in the canada.ca documentation it stated I must obtain the PCC as well as a document from the Costa Rica Ministry of Foreign Affairs that apostilles the document. That 2nd document basically boiled down to saying the PCC is valid and is an official Costa Rica document.

I sent a scan of both of those documents to docbase and received what you did. I am hopeful in thinking that the apostille I obtained essentially functions as a certified true copy.

I followed all the steps outlined in the Costa Rica page on canada.ca, so I feel pretty good about it.

Regarding the affidavit - I believe document (1) Certification of translation, is an affidavit. It has a statement, signature, and seal of a Notary Public stating they witnessed the translation done by an authorized translator. It also has the translator's signature.

Relevant IRCC page here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/docsbase-ca-translations-dont-have-true-copies.543615/page-2#post-8762294

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
So, for my foreign country requiring translation (Costa Rica), in the canada.ca documentation it stated I must obtain the PCC as well as a document from the Costa Rica Ministry of Foreign Affairs that apostilles the document. That 2nd document basically boiled down to saying the PCC is valid and is an official Costa Rica document.

I sent a scan of both of those documents to docbase and received what you did. I am hopeful in thinking that the apostille I obtained essentially functions as a certified true copy.

I followed all the steps outlined in the Costa Rica page on canada.ca, so I feel pretty good about it.

Regarding the affidavit - I believe document (1) Certification of translation, is an affidavit. It has a statement, signature, and seal of a Notary Public stating they witnessed the translation done by an authorized translator. It also has the translator's signature.

Relevant IRCC page here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/docsbase-ca-translations-dont-have-true-copies.543615/page-2#post-8762294
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.
So, I made a certified copy of the original today, just in case. I will be meeting with the lawyer tomorrow to ask his thoughts. Will see how it goes :)

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Alright, best of luck!

On thinking this over further today, I think the (3) b/w copy with stamp may also serve as a certified true copy? I figure the more documentation (to a certain extent), the better.

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
Alright, best of luck!

On thinking this over further today, I think the (3) b/w copy with stamp may also serve as a certified true copy? I figure the more documentation (to a certain extent), the better.
I thought I would follow up with you on my meeting with the lawyer. I'll be quite honest 2 translations that I showed her one from docbase and one fro taontario - she did not like and strongly advised to re-do it with someone who is ATIO certified. Basically, those 2 do not look legit.

Not sure how to proceed now, when I spent so much money and time.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Hmmm. Not sure what to say, and sorry to hear that.

For what it's worth, I looked up the names on my docbase letter and the Notary Public who signs and seals the certification page is ATIO certified. I was able to look them up in the ATIO database.

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
I looked those people up too just now.
Couldn't find the actual translator there, but found notary on ATIO. Is her name Valery? She/he seems to be qualified only for Russian translations.

I may be really overthinking.

+ when there should be a stamp "ATIO certified"

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Yes, same person who I found on ATIO on my documents as well. And I also did not find the actual translator on ATIO, however, I think that is okay.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/scan-upload-documents.html

Based on that page, I think the approach I'm taking falls under the first approach, and not the approach with a "certified translator". I believe the Valery individual is using their role as a Notary Public, and not as translator, for the purposes of this translation.

(1) My docs will include the translation. (2) For the certified copy of the original, I am feeling "good" that I meet that. If you dig into that definition in the glossary page, it says a Notary Public is a person authorized in Canada to do such a task. I imagine/hope/trust that the first page docbase provides AND all the stamps on copies will meet this requirement. (3) The affidavit. If you dive into that definition, I also believe the first page from docsbase meets that requirement. I do not believe it matters that the "Valery" individual you mentioned speaks the original language or not. Their duty as a Notary Public in this is to witness the "non-certified" translator make a statement promising the accuracy and truthfulness of the translation.

Anyway, I am planning on submitting my application today. I'll try to remember to reply to this thread someday in the future if/when I learn more!

Reactions: michal.svatos

michal.svatos

Jun 26, 2019
In my case, I did the following:
1. Get the original doc notarized -> get the true certified copy (still in the original language).
2. Give the true certified copy to the translation company (keeping the original for myself).
3. In the end, the translation company gives me the true certified copy, the translation, the notarized affidavit.
4. I uploaded everything to IRCC (original doc, certified true copy, translation, notarized affidavit).

I think the reason why you did not get a true copy because you did not provide the translation company with an original HARD copy. A scanned copy sent via email is certainly not sufficient to produce a true copy for it.
Please be noted that IRCC does require true copies. Otherwise some deceitful people would just modify the original and email them for translation.
Hi! I received the ITA and I have to submit the documents. The translation part is quite confusing o_O but I understand how you organised everything. What have you done with the police certificates? You gave to the translator directly the original?

michal.svatos

Jun 26, 2019
Yes, same person who I found on ATIO on my documents as well. And I also did not find the actual translator on ATIO, however, I think that is okay.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/scan-upload-documents.html

Based on that page, I think the approach I'm taking falls under the first approach, and not the approach with a "certified translator". I believe the Valery individual is using their role as a Notary Public, and not as translator, for the purposes of this translation.

(1) My docs will include the translation. (2) For the certified copy of the original, I am feeling "good" that I meet that. If you dig into that definition in the glossary page, it says a Notary Public is a person authorized in Canada to do such a task. I imagine/hope/trust that the first page docbase provides AND all the stamps on copies will meet this requirement. (3) The affidavit. If you dive into that definition, I also believe the first page from docsbase meets that requirement. I do not believe it matters that the "Valery" individual you mentioned speaks the original language or not. Their duty as a Notary Public in this is to witness the "non-certified" translator make a statement promising the accuracy and truthfulness of the translation.

Anyway, I am planning on submitting my application today. I'll try to remember to reply to this thread someday in the future if/when I learn more!
Hi :) Did everything work well?

hp009

Aug 20, 2020
Hi

Hi, I am planning on using the service of docsbase. I am in urgent need of this ans wether I should give the scan of original copy to them and they will only provide me certified true copy of original or should I give them certified true copy itself, for translation. Can you please clear my doubt. Also they will translate each and every stamp on the document right?

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Hi

Hi, I am planning on using the service of docsbase. I am in urgent need of this ans wether I should give the scan of original copy to them and they will only provide me certified true copy of original or should I give them certified true copy itself, for translation. Can you please clear my doubt. Also they will translate each and every stamp on the document right?
I can confirm they translated each and every stamp on my document.

My application for PR is still in process - so I cannot confirm if my translation has been accepted or not yet :confused:. I'll update in this thread when I've been given a decision.