+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Docsbase.ca translations don't have true copies

thegreat0001

Feb 12, 2018
Hello Guys,

I ordered my translation from docsbase.ca and I received my translation pretty quick but the translation doesn't have a certified true copy as they got my documents by email and in the CIC website they stated that they want:
"If it is not in English or French, you must send it with:
  • the English or French translation and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document"
Does anyone have experience using docsbase.ca translation? Can I add a certified true copy at the end of the document? Or put the original?

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
@LauRoMi I don't see in those requirements how it states you need a certified true copy of the translation. Rather, it is of the original, correct?

I believe the translation company provides the English/French translation and an affidavit only.

LauRoMi

May 6, 2020
@LauRoMi I don't see in those requirements how it states you need a certified true copy of the translation. Rather, it is of the original, correct?

I believe the translation company provides the English/French translation and an affidavit only.
Yes! I meant a certified true copy of the original (notarized copy). The company mentions that they have their own notary in their website and it’s a bit unclear on whether or not their provide a certified copy of the original document.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Oh I see! I plan to get a translation from that company soon, so I'll report back here when I learn anything.

LauRoMi

May 6, 2020
Thanks for willing to share! I was also thinking of getting a translation from them too. If I do, I’ll share my experience as well.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Uncanny timing, I actually received my translation within the last hour.

Docsbase provided the scanned original document, their translation of that document (with a Docsbase stamp on each page), and a 1 page colour document from them titled "Certification of translation". This 1-pager states the translation is accurate to the best of their knowledge, and is signed, dated, and stamped with a notary seal by a Notary Public licensed in Ontario.

LauRoMi

May 6, 2020
Thanks for updating! Is the affidavit (the letter signed by the notary) also signed and stamped by an ontario certified translator? Was the copy provided stamped with the company stamp, the translator stamp or the notary stamp?

sorry to ask all these questions but I am just confused on whether or not the copy they provide is a notarized one. I quoted with them today and they said that the notarized copy is included in the price but they didn’t really explain much. The IRCC glossary says the following:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html#certified_photocopy

Certified photocopy
A photocopy of an original document. It must be readable and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorized person. The person compares the documents and marks on the photocopy:

• their name and signature
  • their position or title
  • the name of the original document
  • the date they certified the document
  • the phrase “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”
In Canada, examples of authorized persons who can certify the copies of your original documents include:

• notary public
  • commissioner of oaths, or
  • commissioner of taking affidavits
Check with your provincial or territorial authorities to be sure who can certify your documents.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
No problem, these are important questions, and I hope it's valid for our purposes!

The affidavit is signed by the translator, signed by the notary public, stamped with the notary stamp, and stamped with the company stamp.

It is not stamped by the translator. There is no certification listed on the document for the specific translator. However, I did find the name of the notary public listed in the ATIO directory.

The affidavit includes this text:

"""
This is to certify that this translation from OTHER LANGUAGE to English was made by ___PRINTED_NAME_OF_TRANSLATOR___, who is conversant with these languages, and that, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, this is a true and complete rendition of the corresponding original document.

Signed ______SIGNATURE_OF_TRANSLATOR_____

Sworn before me at the city of Toronto this ____DATE____

Notary public ___SIGNATURE_OF_NOTARY_PUBLIC____

{Notary Seal} [Stamped text next to seal stating it is limited to work done by the NP, that they are in good standing, that it is valid for affidavits related to the immigration matters, and an expiration date which happens to be 1 year + 5 months later]

{Company Seal}

"""

So I hope this enough! I've seen Docsbase referenced on this site below and people have seemingly their service successfully, so that bolsters my confidence this will wrap up the documentation I need for my translation.

Thanks for updating! Is the affidavit (the letter signed by the notary) also signed and stamped by an ontario certified translator? Was the copy provided stamped with the company stamp, the translator stamp or the notary stamp?

sorry to ask all these questions but I am just confused on whether or not the copy they provide is a notarized one. I quoted with them today and they said that the notarized copy is included in the price but they didn’t really explain much. The IRCC glossary says the following:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html#certified_photocopy

Certified photocopy
A photocopy of an original document. It must be readable and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorized person. The person compares the documents and marks on the photocopy:

• their name and signature
  • their position or title
  • the name of the original document
  • the date they certified the document
  • the phrase “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document.”
In Canada, examples of authorized persons who can certify the copies of your original documents include:

• notary public
  • commissioner of oaths, or
  • commissioner of taking affidavits
Check with your provincial or territorial authorities to be sure who can certify your documents.

LauRoMi

May 6, 2020
No problem, these are important questions, and I hope it's valid for our purposes!

The affidavit is signed by the translator, signed by the notary public, stamped with the notary stamp, and stamped with the company stamp.

It is not stamped by the translator. There is no certification listed on the document for the specific translator. However, I did find the name of the notary public listed in the ATIO directory.

The affidavit includes this text:

"""
This is to certify that this translation from OTHER LANGUAGE to English was made by ___PRINTED_NAME_OF_TRANSLATOR___, who is conversant with these languages, and that, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, this is a true and complete rendition of the corresponding original document.

Signed ______SIGNATURE_OF_TRANSLATOR_____

Sworn before me at the city of Toronto this ____DATE____

Notary public ___SIGNATURE_OF_NOTARY_PUBLIC____

{Notary Seal} [Stamped text next to seal stating it is limited to work done by the NP, that they are in good standing, that it is valid for affidavits related to the immigration matters, and an expiration date which happens to be 1 year + 5 months later]

{Company Seal}

"""

So I hope this enough! I've seen Docsbase referenced on this site below and people have seemingly their service successfully, so that bolsters my confidence this will wrap up the documentation I need for my translation.
Thanks so much for the details of the affidavit received! Did they also included a copy of the original scanned document that you sent to them? If so, did they stamped or signed that copy in any way?
I quoted with them and asked for confirmation on the type of translation and certification I was going to obtain but they have stop answering. I might give them a call later today. Thanks again.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Thanks so much for the details of the affidavit received! Did they also included a copy of the original scanned document that you sent to them? If so, did they stamped or signed that copy in any way?
I quoted with them and asked for confirmation on the type of translation and certification I was going to obtain but they have stop answering. I might give them a call later today. Thanks again.
They did! They sent me the affidavit, the translation, and black & white copies of the original document (that I had originally emailed to them). Each of these pages has a Docsbase.ca stamp placed on it.

I am sending in all the pages they sent me, and additionally including the colour scan of the original document. I also will write a Letter of Explanation to provide a Table of Contents essentially.

LauRoMi

May 6, 2020
They did! They sent me the affidavit, the translation, and black & white copies of the original document (that I had originally emailed to them). Each of these pages has a Docsbase.ca stamp placed on it.

I am sending in all the pages they sent me, and additionally including the colour scan of the original document. I also will write a Letter of Explanation to provide a Table of Contents essentially.
Great! Thanks! I am just a little worried about IRCC definition of “certified copy” but I have heard of people submit only what the translation company gives and not get there PR application returned so I am guessing IRCC hasn’t really updated their definition for the online process and that the definition that they have on their glosarry applies for paper application when one doesn’t send the original version of a document.

Hopefully everything will turn us well for us!! Crossing my fingers for us!

Thanks again for your input! :)

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Yeah me too, I've re-read all the IRCC website documentation too many times at this point. I'm FSW and waiting for a draw, but I'll try to remember to post back here if/when I make it to the point where they review my PCC and its translation.

Best of luck to you too!

mancugay

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
In my case, I did the following:
1. Get the original doc notarized -> get the true certified copy (still in the original language).
2. Give the true certified copy to the translation company (keeping the original for myself).
3. In the end, the translation company gives me the true certified copy, the translation, the notarized affidavit.
4. I uploaded everything to IRCC (original doc, certified true copy, translation, notarized affidavit).

I think the reason why you did not get a true copy because you did not provide the translation company with an original HARD copy. A scanned copy sent via email is certainly not sufficient to produce a true copy for it.
Please be noted that IRCC does require true copies. Otherwise some deceitful people would just modify the original and email them for translation.

Reactions: michal.svatos

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
I hope my docs well be received as valid by IRCC.

I did the following:
1. Got the original PCC and had it "apostilled" (authenticated) by the originating government's Supreme Court. This resulted in the generation of two additional pages that state the PCC is an authentic document from the originating government. All of the aforementioned documents are in the original language. I did this in accordance with IRCC's specific instructions for this country (Costa Rica) from this webpage. I am hopeful this is valid as certifying the PCC as authentic.
2. Scanned the PCC and authentication documentation in colour, and emailed to the translation company.
3. The translation company returned their affidavit, their translation of all of the pages I sent them, and black & white copies of the pages I sent them. All of these pages they sent me have the translation company's stamp on them.
4. I am planning to upload to IRCC everything the translation company gave me as well as the colour scans of the original PCC and authentication papers.

@mancugay - do you think this will serve as valid in the eyes of IRCC? If not, do you know what else could I do?