+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do you have to be in another country to obtain a Canadian work visa?

burntoinge

Jul 6, 2010
I am currently living in the USA and would like to move to Montreal. I am hoping I can visit for 5-6 months and look for a job. However I am wondering if it looks bad if I obtain a work visa when I am visiting? Would that send any kind of a flag and get me kicked out of the country? It seems the only way to obtain a work visa is to attend interviews in person, so visiting for 5-6 months seems like the best option.

I am also wondering the same thing for obtaining a student visa. I may decide to attend a college in Montreal, but do I need to be in the USA when I apply? I thought I had read something about that once but can't seem to find anything on it now.

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
You have 2 choices..

1)apply for a Work Permit Before you come to Canada
2)apply for a Work Permit On your way into Canada at the port of entry..

The only people that can apply from inside Canada are Permanent Resident Applicants that applied Inland and have the right to an open work permit!

lieutenentdan087

Aug 4, 2009
You will need a positive lmo to apply for a work permit at a port of entry unless the job is lmo exempt. Working holiday visa is another option.

burntoinge

Jul 6, 2010
Thank you for the replies.

I am now thinking I could visit for 5-6 months and if I am find an employer who is willing to help me get a work visa, would I be able to just go back to the USA while the work visa is being submitted and processed and then return once I have obtained the work visa? As long as I am in the USA when I apply for the work permit, correct?

How long does it take to get a work permit once you have applied?