+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we need Valid PR Card for Citizenship, other concerns

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Dear Folks,

I got my PR card in 2008. do I need to have a valid PR card to submit Citizenship application. I am due for Citizenship in july 2014. My PR Card expired in January, 2013. didn't renew as at that time my RO was not in good standing. Since I waited so long so now I am planning to apply for Citizenship in August, 2014 and PR Card sometime in February, 2014. I have some major concerns due to the following for my renewal:

1. I have employment (6 month), Unemployment (7 months) and self employment (20 months) in 33 months of my presence in Canada.
2. I lost one of my Passport atleast having two entry exit stamps of my home country, I never travelled out of Canada since April, 2012. I lost my home country passport in 2011 prior travelling back to Canada. The passport (lost one) was issued just before travelling out of Canada in June, 2011 and lost just travelling back to Canada in April, 2012. My current passport has one exit stamp of my home country April, 2012 and entry stamp of Canada April, 2012 (that proves my PR residency time atleast).

3. My passport for the period of 2006 to 2011 have many stamps and visas of Middle east, Bahrain, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Thailand etc. As I was working in those countries as well visited them.

4. I have major absences of one year in 2009 and one year in 2011, mainly due to my Mother in law death due to Cancer in 2009 and mother sickness in 2011.

5. In last five years I have around 920 days presence and also in last four years to date almost the same, my calculation says by July 27th I would have 1095 days in last four years.

Kindly give me heads up what shall I do to avoid trouble, currently I am jobless and is best time for me to plan forward.

I will be extremely great full for recommendations and suggestions.

warm regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's quite possible the lost passport will complicate your application. If you can't provide passports to cover the entire four year period, this often results in an RQ. However there's really nothing you can do about this since the passport is already lost.

Make sure you are certain you have 1095 days before you apply for citizenship and haven't left out any travel. That's the best thing you can do.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks Scylla,

You are right, things are not at all in my control, I cannot do anything to bring back my lost passport. Not only Citizenship, my PR card is major concern. I can delay citizenship application until 2015 with 5 years of PR card in hand (not easy decision though). But how to handle PR card as in last five years history this passport problem would remain with me. I really need to travel but cannot as well currently during job hunt employer(s) wants me to prove residency/ legal status, the easiest thing they demand is valid PR card.

appreciate advices from all corners.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I'm afraid that it is extremely likely you will get an RQ. Long periods of unemployment/self-employment with travel outside Canada is a key trigger. Add on top of the fact that you lost that old passport and also had long absences from Canada.... your application will take awhile I'm afraid.

Also, having a valid PR card will really help. I don't know if it is mandatory to have for citizenship application but it will help a lot

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HHH2000,

1. Your profile meets multiple triggers for RQ issuance so if you avoid one thank your lucky stars.

2. The lost passport will be an issue - expect CIC for both PR and Citizenship renewal to want records of movement from the immigration/ border control authorities of your home country as a minimum and likely all the other countries you mention travelling to/ living in. Have you reported the losses to the relevant authorities and do you have documentary proof of this?

3. Even post RQ issuance and review you are at a high risk of referral for a full hearing with the Citizenship Judge.

4. Read posts here by eileenf - her signature has a link to a resource for RQs incorporating advice, information, posts, forms, tweets from applicants across multiple forums. In particular read the section about what to submit - CBSA records, Health Billing Records and any other record of your physical presence in Canada. Have you filed taxes? Is your travel record consistent with your income?

5. If you apply for the PR Card now it will give you an idea of how much CIC will sweat you.

6. Do you have the language side of things taken care of? There are long delays for 3rd party tests.

7. There is major rhetoric from the Tories about changing the citizenship requirements - a longer residence time is due no doubt. Depending on how the Feds rate this issue it may or may not be passed as a law by the time you apply in which case everything changes.

8. Based on 7 and the chances of an RQ you may decide to wait and apply when the 'lost passport' time is no longer in the qualifying period window!

9. Valid PR Card is one of the IDs in the required documents for citizenship application but its not a pre-requisite. Your meeting the Residence Obligation and having the minimum number of (provable) physical presence days are what really matter.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Msafiri thanks for your reply.

Oh my God, what shall I do, this passport lost is now a nightmare, I need PR card as employers wants to confirm legal status but on other hand the passport lost is a reality.

I was thinking that having 900 days plus presence would help me but looks like CIC would overlook my this presence and throw me in deep problem.

I already have CBSA record, Health record would not be an issue as I have so many visits and lab test done in last five years, Taxes I filed regularly, consistent with my income my travel-I don't know really. I have a good income for last two years in Canada but initially and during absence I had poor income.

I am scary but things are gone so bad without PR card I really don't know what to do. Waiting until April 2016 for Citizenship and April 2017 for PR card (so as to get rid of lost passport requirement) too long period. I have other proves of lost passport like copy of affidavit and police report and main page copy of lost passport, all that I submitted at the time of requesting for new passport in April, 2012.

I don't know what RQ would ask me, but if they ask me something problematic then I don't know what shall I be doing to handle it.

Just wondering is it be a good idea to write a letter to CIC along with PR card application and explain my situation or it would make thing more worse.

please advice

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Is it not enough to provide your copy of COPR to employers? That and a valid health card?

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Could you show your employer your SIN card? I remember that when I was on a temporary work visa I was issued a SIN that started with the number 9. I recall that the "9" signified that the SIN was limited in time (to the date my work visa expired).

Then when I landed as a PR I got a new SIN that doesn't start with "9" and doesn't expire. Not sure if this would assist?

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Msafiri said:
HHH2000,

expect CIC for both PR and Citizenship renewal to want records of movement from the immigration/ border control authorities of your home country.

Msafiri: excellent idea, if I can get this it would take all the burden of accuracy entry/ exit from me for Arab countries as well as translation would be much easier for Arabic stamps. This would work if even I can get the record only from my home country's immigration. The only challenge could be how to get them and why they bother to give me this information. Since I still have to fill the application so why not just like CBSA record I try to get this record also.

The only question is what Should I write my home country immigration, shall I tell them I would require this record since I have lost passport history and Canadian immigration may require for my residence obligation verification.

Thanks for this tip.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
In my opinion if you do not apply for another six month or so for PR card renewal your continuous stay for 2 years might help you in renewal, but for lost passport CIC will sure come after you.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Re: Do we need Valid PR Card for Citizenship, other concerns- update

Folks

I have been just inform by my sister (from my home country)that they found the lost passport at home. OMG it is such a big surprise to me. Now what shall I do?

I just recently requested home country immigration to send me the record of my last 5 years Travelling so as to send along with my PR Card application in April & May this year (In April 2104, I will have two straight years with out travelling). Now I am confuse shall I send my lost passport copies or record of travelling receive from my home country immigration?, I havn't send anything yet so things are pretty much in my control at the moment.

Another problem is, If I send only the copies of lost passport and later on CIC demand original passport than how can I bring the original passport, no body will be ready to bring my original lost passport, unless I go back.

Can any of you please suggest what shall I do while applying for renewal.

Thanks a lot.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Folks

Any thoughts what Shall I do as my lost passport found while applying for renewal?

Please advise.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Why not just have her mail it to you?

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
She already sent scanned that to me, colored copies. Now question is what would I say to CIC if they asked me to show original passport. It is not legal to send passport by mail from one country to another.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
HHH2000 said:
She already sent scanned that to me, colored copies. Now question is what would I say to CIC if they asked me to show original passport. It is not legal to send passport by mail from one country to another.
They will want to see your original passport for your interview on test day.